House Price Crash Forum

NHS staff using food banks as their pay is too low to live on

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

All housing costs.My daughter is a nurse and bought a house 14 months after leaving uni here in the north two years ago.Plenty of houses here for 2.5/3.0 times her single income,and thats her starting income.

It really does feel like two different countries.The south is incredible for anyone owning outright with a job,but terrible for anyone else.The north is fantastic for anyone who manages to have a decent job buying,but terrible for anyone struggling to find decent work.

Default best position is to be a rentier :ph34r: renting out a couple of southern houses,but living in the north.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

I think we have food banks because of the adverse publicity about food being thrown away.

Supermarkets don't want to be seen dumping 30% of their stock in the garbage.  They used to feed it to pigs but that got stopped after the foot and mouth episode.

If these food banks get too big, such that significant trade is lost, they will act to limit it, believe me.

HOLA448

Yes, my wife`s going though hell now, she`s got 8 months to go before she finishes her nursing course. (Open university + she has to work for free)

In her case she has no problem  financially, do you think being a council dweller has anything to do with it ?

Also these women love to lease cars....`because it`s so much cheaper`. The wife struggled with the concept before buying a new Mazda 2.

Anyway in 8 months she`ll be qualified or in the nuthouse.

HOLA449

What is the pay scale for n

7 hours ago, spyguy said:

The agency staff maybe- but its down to high housing costs esp.London, which is down to immirations to London subbed by HB.

Nurses - no. A Nurse with 5 years experience and 10h ot is in the top 1/3 earners.

What is the pay scale for nurses anyhow?

Like you say, I suspect in in the north a nurse won't be doing too bad compared to her/his neighbours.

Added in edit:  £15251 start of Band 1 to £41,373 p.a. top of Band 7.  Plus 20% inner London weighting.

But I have no idea what typical nurses actually earn. 

Edited by kzb
added nurses pay scale info

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

So, with the figures given... about 2,100 public sector health care workers have had financial difficulty... used pay day loans, sold stuff to live... how many of them are spending beyond their means? Where are those figures?

Around 2,000,000 Brits use pay day loans each year... so nurses figure in about about 0.1% of that group?

A public sector job gives you a pretty good credit score versus cowboy Joe building corp, n'est pas?

How is this news?

HOLA4412

I'm calling canard on this story

My understanding of foodbanks is you need to be assessed and then given a voucher to access it - as without these checks the system would be abused by the usual wastrels and freeloaders that are attracted by something for nothing

https://www.trusselltrust.org/what-we-do/how-foodbanks-work/

Food vouchers

Care professionals such as doctors, health visitors, schools and social workers identify people in crisis and issue them with a foodbank voucher. This entitles them to receive a foodbank parcel of three days’ nutritionally balanced, non-perishable food.

Edited by knock out johnny

HOLA4413
58 minutes ago, kzb said:

What is the pay scale for n

What is the pay scale for nurses anyhow?

Like you say, I suspect in in the north a nurse won't be doing too bad compared to her/his neighbours.

Added in edit:  £15251 start of Band 1 to £41,373 p.a. top of Band 7.  Plus 20% inner London weighting.

But I have no idea what typical nurses actually earn. 

My girl nurse friend is 42.

Nurse school at 18, knocked in last year, whoops, started work at 27 parttime the ft. Two more kids at 32+35. Now back at ft.

She clears about 35k does 3 ,12h shifts a week plus4-8 of ot.

She gets her work done in 3-4 days. She does do shifts but she sats nights are quiet so they snooze. The 12h shifts are ok as its not full on work, theres 3-4 work peaks but the rest is normally calm.

HOLA4414
1 minute ago, knock out johnny said:

I'm calling canard on this story

My understanding of foodbanks is you need to be assessed and then given a voucher to access it - as without these checks the system would be abused by the usual wastrels and freeloaders that are attracted by something for nothing

https://www.trusselltrust.org/what-we-do/how-foodbanks-work/

Food vouchers

Care professionals such as doctors, health visitors, schools and social workers identify people in crisis and issue them with a foodbank voucher. This entitles them to receive a foodbank parcel of three days’ nutritionally balanced, non-perishable food.

Canard on trussell trust rules.

Mate worked their. Most trussell workers are naive andget worked over by the same people.

Mate reckons some scam it every month. No ticket required.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
7 minutes ago, knock out johnny said:

I stand corrected then - thanks

You can work it out.

Take mates town - 30k pop.

Families on benefit ~5k est.

Theres just not going to be that many families fcked up to justify the ~30 FT staff that work for the trust or the mountsins of food donated.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
21 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Public sector average pay much higher than preivate sector.

Private sector pays for public sector,

if it's bad for nurses how back is it for the people who are forced to pay for nurses ?

In the NHS or generally? I don't believe that's true, as public sector work was traditionally lower paid but had a better pension.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
1 hour ago, Inoperational Bumblebee said:

As in, the pensions are no good now, or the pay is better?

The NHS pension has been heavily reduced, but those on mid and low salaries have been largely protected. However, the big change is that the NHS pension is now average salary based, not final salary based - so the old trick of promoting someone up a couple of grades into a non-job for the last year has been stopped. However, having said that, the pension accrual rate for those who stay at the same grade for their entire career (e.g. porters, cleaners, etc.) tends to yield a much higher final pension, while those in jobs where career progression is expected, tend to do rather less well. 

With the pension tax changes, and the vast increase in NHS pension contributions (more than doubled since 2004) for higher earners, as well as changes to salary structures, things are much less attractive for high earners. In fact, for experienced consultants, the tax on pensions is so unfavourable, that it has prompted a exodus of early retirements, or changes to part-time work.

HOLA4423

It would be interesting to hear Unison's views on the equivalent jobs in the private sector - not to hold one's breath of course.

Or are they referring to NHS workers who are employed by companies sub-contracted to the NHS.  Then single, married, male, female, with or without children, on benefits and/or tax credits  etc etc etc - do the categories matter when it comes to going to the soup kitchens - they never say of course.

Edited by billybong

HOLA4424

My wife is a nurse. They start on Band 5 and the majority stay there, getting promoted to band 6 takes a lot of work. Lower banks are for cleaners, HCA etc.

The pay is below national average, but not starving either. Its physical and dirty, if you don't mind getting covered in shit and cleaning arses pay your way through the course and get qualified.

Don't ******up or you could get sacked/jailed if you make a mistake while tired.

HOLA4425