House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Fairyland

Capsule homes: People farming coming soon

Hong Kong riled by latest tiny 'space capsule' homes

Hong Kong is well-known for having some of the world's tiniest and most expensive homes, but one landlord is offering a modern twist on its famous "coffin apartments".

Ten "space capsule" units have just come on the market in the western Sai Ying Pun district, offering a total of 24sq ft (2.2 sq m) of living space for HK$5,100 ($658; £538) a month.

The listing on a local real estate platform says each pod comes with a television, air-conditioning and a memory foam mattress.

But despite such mod-cons, many netizens are enraged, describing the capsule as a glorified coffin and the landlord as unscrupulous.

The listing first appeared on Sunday. The leaseholder, surnamed Wang, boasts it has special lights which "create the feeling of being in space".

Wonder if LL and unscrupulous will become synonyms in near future

Edited by Fairyland

UK builders are constantly miniaturising everything within each housing estate - to give you that uncanny feeling when you walk around one - a feeling that everything's just too close together.  A garage used to be for a car, now a car won't fit in a modern garage.  Front & back gardens, room sizes, pavements, permieter space around houses, housing estate roads - these have also been reduced in size ever-so slightly as each few years pass. 

I can assure you most of 

the newbuilds I work on dont even have a front garden . Most have maybe a 2 ft grass border then a railing . D

The best disguise is to use 3/4 furniture, so that in photos the rooms look bigger and in proportion.

I saw one of these abominations in Gateshead back then when the wife had the mentals for buying (we did end up buying but not a new build and for different circumstances, for much less then these).

I asked her to try and sit on the bed and she immediately "got it". Fine for people below 5 foot. 

as for the coffins, I'd have loved to have the chance to have an hostel like that for 20 dollars per night when I was travelling in my 20's and trying to meet girls etc. 

Otherwise, insane.