knock out johnny

HOLA441
  • Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

I'm pleased to say that I don't actually eat crisps any more; after a very bad stomach upset they had all the allure of a salted sliver of chipboard.

I'm sure that I could eat them these days but given how bad they are for you and that I used to eat too many I'm not about to try to wean myself back onto them.

I think you'd be pleasantly surprised at the range available now. I had lentil crisps recently, not quite as unhealthy, and there's these new fandangled popcorn crisps.

HOLA444
4 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

I think you'd be pleasantly surprised at the range available now. I had lentil crisps recently, not quite as unhealthy, and there's these new fandangled popcorn crisps.

I'm sure that I could dive back in again but I'm no more resisting them than I am smoking, as I'm not doing either and I can see that they're bad for you then I'm not going to start up.

I had a real weakness for corn snacks rather than crisps, those with an intense salt and vinegar or cheesy hit. Objectively I knew they were bad for me but I liked them too much to even try giving them up; then suddenly I don't even like them any more after a brief illness and I see that as a very health beneficial result.

I'm not recommending that anybody else give them up (except Walkers, obviously) and I wasn't even trying to do so.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
36 minutes ago, Errol said:

Factory has doubtless been re-tooled to cut thinner crisps and put fewer in a bag.

Ingredients might also have been substituted for worse versions.

Classic example of 'hidden' inflation.

That's what I suspect - but food manufacturers usually print the legend "Improved Recipe" or some such when they fck their product up

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Wait until you taste what they've done to Wotsits.

I've cut right back on crisps and have cut out potato based crisps altogether. I would recommend the Ecuadorian plaintain crisps from the Johnny Foreigner food aisle in Tescos though.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
1 hour ago, Errol said:

Factory has doubtless been re-tooled to cut thinner crisps and put fewer in a bag.

Ingredients might also have been substituted for worse versions.

Classic example of 'hidden' inflation.

Well, pretty sure a standard pack of crisps always used to be 35g, however walkers are now 25g when purchased in a multipack. 

I suspect a lot of their sales are in multi packs, no doubt in the past a multipack was literally normal bags of crisps stuck in a bag and then at some point somebody came up with the idea of removing 30% of the crisps in a bag. Hey presto 30% reduction is cost of the content and I doubt the consumer even noticed.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
3 hours ago, gilf said:

Well, pretty sure a standard pack of crisps always used to be 35g, however walkers are now 25g when purchased in a multipack. 

I suspect a lot of their sales are in multi packs, no doubt in the past a multipack was literally normal bags of crisps stuck in a bag and then at some point somebody came up with the idea of removing 30% of the crisps in a bag. Hey presto 30% reduction is cost of the content and I doubt the consumer even noticed.

Don't underestimate the pressure on food manufacturers to reduce salt & fat levels in their products. The sugar tax debate is a prime example of this. With certain products, the only way to reduce the amount of nasties in the pack, is to make it smaller!

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
27 minutes ago, stormymonday_2011 said:

Apparently you are not alone in thinking that Walkers crisps have gone down the crappier as far as quality goes

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews81256.html

Owned by the Yanks like so many name British brands which have become complete and utter shite. Shame as they used to be a cut above other UK crisp brands in the 1970s.

KidVindicatedw208h271.jpg

HOLA4421
1 hour ago, stormymonday_2011 said:

Apparently you are not alone in thinking that Walkers crisps have gone down the crapper as far as quality goes

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews81256.html

Owned by the Yanks like so many name British brands which have become complete and utter shite. Shame as they used to be a cut above other UK crisp brands in the 1970s.

Again, Seabrooks!

Andthe scampi promotion was pretty good.

Thats for the interested to find out.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
Just now, One-percent said:

Second the suggestion of seabrooks.  The original crinkle cut crisps. Not widely available dhan sarf. Unless near a Morrisons 

Tesco and Poundland have them , hit and miss.

They are the only potatoe tasting crisos you buy now - bar those overpriced handcut and fried crap.

Taste of my chilhood - coke, crisps and seeing some rough arsed stripper as the end of  the tropical fish club clashed with the start of the stag do evening.

Just now, One-percent said:

HOLA4424
1 minute ago, spyguy said:

Tesco and Poundland have them , hit and miss.

They are the only potatoe tasting crisos you buy now - bar those overpriced handcut and fried crap.

Taste of my chilhood - coke, crisps and seeing some rough arsed stripper as the end of  the tropical fish club clashed with the start of the stag do evening.

Good to know. Not seen them in Tesco though and Poundland <shudder>

im not sure I want to know the answer but strippers, tropical fish and childhood?

HOLA4425

Archived