House Price Crash Forum

Blacked out helicopter shadowed by one showing navigation lights

ChewingGrass

HOLA441

Around 7pm heard helicopter from inside house, much louder than normal so presumed it was the police one again, out of curiosity stood at the window and waited, sure enough it passed over in a very wide fast 520 degree ark. But here is the rub, there were two flying in formation (hence the extra noise) both were black silouehettes and definitely had dark matt paint jobs yet the lead one was showing zero navigation or any other form of light whilst the rear one about 6-8 copter lengths to the rear shower only read and green. The casual observer from most angles would only think there was one when in fact there were two.

Has anyone else seen this sort of practice which I presume is completely against civil aviation rules.

This is in busy airspace between Liverpool and Manchester which have two major airports and significant light aircraft movements.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Two separate, helicopters, first one blacked out and shadowed by the second, performed a 360 plus 180 to do a full loop and go back in the direction they came. Not chinooks as they are unmistakable but medium sized high powered single rotored ones niether of which was the police chopper these things were more like Lynx size.

HOLA448

I saw a squadron of SBS / SAS blacked out helicopters running no nav lights, stage a mock assault rope landing on a cruise ship i was on, in the middle of the night off the devon coast. 

The ship was the Queen Mary 2 i was on a pre-maiden voyage.

There is a "Black" force of helicopters out there doing shadowy things.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
1 hour ago, ChewingGrass said:

Two separate, helicopters, first one blacked out and shadowed by the second, performed a 360 plus 180 to do a full loop and go back in the direction they came. Not chinooks as they are unmistakable but medium sized high powered single rotored ones niether of which was the police chopper these things were more like Lynx size.

I suspect at least one a AS365 N3 Dauphin.

Military aircraft regularly fly across the UK without any lights on or transponders.

HOLA4413
16 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I suspect at least one a AS365 N3 Dauphin.

Military aircraft regularly fly across the UK without any lights on or transponders.

That was interesting and would fit the size and scenarion, the range is impressive considering the payload.

' 658 Squadron AAC (Army Air Corps) is a little-known and rarely spotted fleet of Eurocopter Dauphins and Gazelle helicopters that support the Special Air Service. '

Archived