HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

I think he's called it a bit early. Land reg monthly was up in August, though the regional gains/drops are very patchy.

Chasing yield as an ownership ambition has changed dramatically since they destroyed savings rates. Now we have couples with little concept of annual yields parking their money in bricks long term. I think it's more likely that we'll see rents stick or fall, as long as they're getting the council tax paid and about covering any repairs, they'll keep their money in property. If there's any extra left over each month, that's a bonus.

It's not the yield any longer, housing is the new premium bond for anyone with a few hundred K stashed, and the hope is that in ten years time they might make the profit.

It won't crash/adjust back to salaries until rates are back to 5-7% historical norms...

HOLA4410
2 hours ago, ElPapasito said:

I saw Danny Dorling speak on Saturday.  He is convinced the market has stalled for transactions in a significant way in mid 2016 and soon we will be plummeting in price into the self reinforcing down leg aka 2009.  I think he is right.

Link pls - this fellow seems to be very very interesting!

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
1 hour ago, thehowler said:

I think he's called it a bit early. Land reg monthly was up in August, though the regional gains/drops are very patchy.

Chasing yield as an ownership ambition has changed dramatically since they destroyed savings rates. Now we have couples with little concept of annual yields parking their money in bricks long term. I think it's more likely that we'll see rents stick or fall, as long as they're getting the council tax paid and about covering any repairs, they'll keep their money in property. If there's any extra left over each month, that's a bonus.

It's not the yield any longer, housing is the new premium bond for anyone with a few hundred K stashed, and the hope is that in ten years time they might make the profit.

It won't crash/adjust back to salaries until rates are back to 5-7% historical norms...

Didn't need that in Japan.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

And the absurd long term low/emergency interest rates have skewed the affordability graphs to match long term averages, or lower. If you can get over the deposit obstacle, you can borrow the money at a smaller percentage of take home reddies than the 80s and 90s.

If they can borrow the money, they will. It's always been about the easy money.

HOLA4418
11 hours ago, Hengist Pod said:

Watched that and noticed that there was virtually no mention of interest rates, why could that be? Apart from his admission to have been foolish enough to have bought into a city at the top of the housing bubble maybe he's hoping to be snapped up as a researcher in the finance industry or find a high paying place at US university. Loved his 'areas of high immigration voted to remain because they know the benefit of migration' like all who mention that chestnut they fail to admit that those areas are a, close to fifty percent migrant populated and b, the original populations are mostly so elderly they can't get out. I know two elderly original residents in my area and both didn't vote. "Its for the young to chose" and the other didn't vote as they found the confusing local parties campaign literature put them off. 

I think the New Statesman article though right, misses the point because it fails to mention the big bang and adoption of financialization by the banking sector. If there had been minimal or no regulation of banks and one or two of them allowed to own their bad decisions they would not have expanded. We could have retained capitalism and avoided the current crisis. Gordon Brown's 'no more boom and bust' has directly led to our current situation. Regulation of rents and etc  are just treating the symptom. We need to chose between capitalism and corproratism. Retain low rates shows we have chosen the latter.

HOLA4419
1 hour ago, Blod said:

Watched that and noticed that there was virtually no mention of interest rates, why could that be? Apart from his admission to have been foolish enough to have bought into a city at the top of the housing bubble maybe he's hoping to be snapped up as a researcher in the finance industry or find a high paying place at US university.

I can't hack watching 30+ minutes of Dorling this morning.

Has he bought recently?

Yes; Brown.  Choice between capitalism and corporatism - chosen later - but also £Trillions in equity long wave HPIers and BTLers have been happy with this.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
6 hours ago, Blod said:

. Gordon Brown's 'no more boom and bust' has directly led to our current situation. 

I don't understand why he is not panned more often. What was he was smoking? He was presiding over the biggest housing bubble of all time. Where I was at the time, the HPI graph went vertical around 04 - 06, thanks to the miracle of 'Light touch regulation'.