House Price Crash Forum

Ipad Pro

SNACR

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

There seems to be a fashion at the moment for selling the idea that tablet computers are the next great business computer innovation and will take over from traditional approaches.  IMO they're a compromise format that doesn't really do anything well and is only marginally more portable than a lightweight laptop.  

HOLA444
2 minutes ago, dgul said:

There seems to be a fashion at the moment for selling the idea that tablet computers are the next great business computer innovation and will take over from traditional approaches.  IMO they're a compromise format that doesn't really do anything well and is only marginally more portable than a lightweight laptop.  

I think that's right. if you want to work there are too many compromises. If you just want to surf/e-mail/apps and can't manage with an iphone, then a small tablet can be worthwhile. But personally, I have decided that a tablet the size of a small laptop isn't worth the money you save.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
53 minutes ago, dgul said:

I've been saying that for years. No way will the traditional desktop be replaced for actual work. Same with 'apps' and 'mobile verisons' of websites - totally lacking in most features that desktops have.

I really don't see the point in these tablets, just use your mobile phone if you want to piss about with apps.

One of my pet hates, all this "mobile first" shite.

HOLA448

The major difference between the Windows and Apple tablets is that Windows ones run Windows apps, but Apple ones do not run MacOS applications.  That straight away limits their usefulness to me - and I've always (despite lots of attempts to prove otherwise) regarded the iPad as mostly a consumption device rather than a creative one. You might be able to retouch photos, edit spreadsheets, wordprocess or program on an iPad, but it won't be a whole lot of fun compared to Mac laptop. 

HOLA449
6 hours ago, dgul said:

I think that was the "in" view about 3 years ago.

What tablets are brilliant for is sitting on the sofa and surfing the web, lying in bed looking at the football scores, sitting on a plane watching a movie, checking the email and replying with "OK" etc. For 95% of the stuff you do at home tablets are fine. I don't see tablets ever replacing desktops, but my guess is most people own both.

I certainly don't regret buying a tablet and I do a lot of keyboard/mouse intensive applications at work. The tablet was cheap as chips, the screen is bigger than a phone and more readable and the battery lasts forever and it boots quickly. Of course I could do without it and use a notebook for everything, but that's like driving a lorry everywhere when all you need is a car. Tablets are just so much more convenient for casual web browsing.

HOLA4410
5 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

I've been saying that for years. No way will the traditional desktop be replaced for actual work. Same with 'apps' and 'mobile verisons' of websites - totally lacking in most features that desktops have.

I really don't see the point in these tablets, just use your mobile phone if you want to piss about with apps.

One of my pet hates, all this "mobile first" shite.

I have and Iphone SE - its a nice phone. I like the small screen size, which you can browse on and check emails. But for the sake of spending 100 quid I would rather have 7" or 9" screen for browsing on the sofa.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I currently use a Surface Book and a Surface 3 4G tablet and not really happy with Windows tablets but the keyboard and trackpad cover work well with the Surface tablet. Got a lot of mileage out of my ipad with built in 3G and sat nav and found it a fantastic device let down by no usb and being slow to input stuff and also needing windows for some vital software.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Looks like people might not be upgrading laptops and tablets much. Was very surprised by the paucity in numbers of reviews on Amazon for both the ipad pro and also Microsoft Surface range.

I think I'm going to have to get one as the Microsoft tablets just don't offer the amenity I used to get with the ipad when out and about even thought they're essentially full blown desktops the tablet side has too many flaws.

HOLA4418
23 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Looks like people might not be upgrading laptops and tablets much. Was very surprised by the paucity in numbers of reviews on Amazon for both the ipad pro and also Microsoft Surface range.

I think I'm going to have to get one as the Microsoft tablets just don't offer the amenity I used to get with the ipad when out and about even thought they're essentially full blown desktops the tablet side has too many flaws.

I think there are two groups, those that use their machines to earn money and those that have to have the latest model on the street. The former only upgrade when necessary and the latter may be running out of money.

All my mac pro desktops are now 8 years old, although I've upgraded graphics cards, the hds are now SSD etc. That reluctance by users to splash cash for marginal gains, combined with Apple's latest 'trash can' Mac Pro that wasn't a viable upgrade for many , is probably one reason why Apple dropped support/compatibility for perfectly viable 2008 machines in their Sierra release, meaning the user community had had to come up with patches, which fortunately work.

In my experience, people making money from their gear 'PC' or Mac, understandably, have a much longer duration between upgrades than Jo Public.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
1 minute ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Yes, and the 4,200.00 odd price .

Unfortunately I have to have a windows machine for my main laptop as I need it for various bits of software. One of said bits of software needing a newer version of windows provoked the last mass hardware upgrade.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
2 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Have a scroll through the reviews here, and check the average age, shows you the demographic with all the moolah

http://www.johnlewis.com/apple-ipad-pro-a9x-ios-9-7-wi-fi-128gb/p2609387#tabinfo-ratings

Suppose I'm not going to find anyone with an Apple pencil on here either?

I have the iPad Pro and pencil (not the keyboard though).  My advice would be to get a regular iPad Air 2.  The extra features aren't worth it unless you have a specific use case or really want the better speakers.

HOLA4424
26 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Have a scroll through the reviews here, and check the average age, shows you the demographic with all the moolah

More likely that John Lewis ugly concrete shops dont appeal to the under 30's why would you shop there instead of a shiny iStore?

HOLA4425
On 30/10/2016 at 10:05 AM, SNACR said:

Unfortunately I have to have a windows machine for my main laptop as I need it for various bits of software. One of said bits of software needing a newer version of windows provoked the last mass hardware upgrade.

You are lucky.  I still need a dos compatible system to run some complex dataease databases!

Archived