House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

anonguest

Politically Correct language is nothing new

Trump's comments on grabbing pussies, whilst probably figurative and not physical, would seem to fit right in with the ancient and traditional naming of certain streets in English towns and cities, One such, which has since usually been renamed Grape Street.

Perhaps, If he does become President, one wonders if, reflecting his style of plain speaking, it might spark a revival in telling and naming things as they are. Should those streets revert back to their ancient names?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gropecunt_Lane

I think I read too much un-trump washed media.

Do people get embarrassed by asking for a "white coffee" these days? Can you imagine the silence and starring from the rest of the queue, no wait, the whole costa shop! I think I'll just order a Latte to save the embarrassment, and ensure I tick all the diversity and compliance boxes.

58 minutes ago, 200p said:

I think I read too much un-trump washed media.

Do people get embarrassed by asking for a "white coffee" these days? Can you imagine the silence and starring from the rest of the queue, no wait, the whole costa shop! I think I'll just order a Latte to save the embarrassment, and ensure I tick all the diversity and compliance boxes.

You've nailed it. I feel the same when I ask for black pudding...

Post on Reddit by an office worker in Toronto. His coworkers mentioned a guy that worked on a different floor but the OP couldn't place him. They rattled off the teams he supports and make and colour of his car etc.

'Oh you mean the black guy?' (The only black guy that worked on that specific floor of the building.)

Silence.

I thought that that street name was still in use somewhere, thanks to a good old "we're not going to be shamed into changing that" attitude but it sounds like they've all been gone for some time. :(

Apparently the 'G' lane name was very common in medieval cities in Britain. It simply reflected the dominant retail occupation

As does this one presumably...

images (1).jpg