House Price Crash Forum
Saving For a Space Ship

Pre-fab housing has a bad rep in Uk, new firms aim to change it

20 minutes ago, dgul said:

Just as the industry innovates into machine built on site, the UK building industry tries to reinvent prefab.

:D

41 minutes ago, hotairmail said:

Legal and General announced they were building a huge factory in Leeds. Basically driving down the costs of the build to rent sector....

http://www.legalandgeneral.com/homes/

Edit: Note to self: read the op's link first. Apparently it is about L&G's move announced some months ago. But as the Economist blocks me, you may find my link useful.

Which reminds me what i posted on 

"What Effect Will "build To Rent" Have On The Rental Market In The Uk?" thread 

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/205043-what-effect-will-build-to-rent-have-on-the-rental-market-in-the-uk/&page=2#comment-1103084004

I just posted the thread below on Hpc, showing that many "Build To Rent" houses from big corps are made by off-site construction, with pre fab boxes stacked on site

They have spent £ millions building factories in the uk to build them

www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/226444-off-site-construction-key-to-unlocking-housing-crisis-85-yrs-too-late/

http://www.ukconstructionweek.com/news/construction-buzz/626-off-site-key-to-unlocking-crisis-construction-buzz-78

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/uk/how-a-home-made-in-seven-days-could-help-solve-the-housing-crisi/

^

“Brexit is the very last thing we need in an industry struggling for long-term manpower,” says Mr Farmer. Without more builders, Britain will have to find cleverer ways of building.

The main thing that the British building industry needs is some decent resource planning - never mind finding cleverer ways of building.

If they hadn't repeatedly squandered their skilled labour force over the years and decades through short termism and greed then they wouldn't be needing to be "clever" - their squandering is the issue not "Brexit".

Edited by billybong

Most new builds I see going up around me look like pre fabs already.

12 hours ago, billybong said:

^

The main thing that the British building industry needs is some decent resource planning - never mind finding cleverer ways of building.

If they hadn't repeatedly squandered their skilled labour force over the years and decades through short termism and greed then they wouldn't be needing to be "clever" - their squandering is the issue not "Brexit".

So Brexit good for creating demand for jobs in Britain, and ones that are more than shelf stacking on a zero hours contract. But of course what we really don't want is for businesses to have to train anyone first, the sound model is to parasite pre-trained workers from elsewhere (or find new ways of being even cheaper and nastier - or in this case reinvent old cheap and nasty ways).

Edited by Riedquat

Wave of prefab homes planned to tackle UK housing crisis

Government considering 100,000 modular units to meet target of one million homes by 2020 says report

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/oct/30/wave-of-prefab-homes-planned-to-tackle-uk-housing-crisis

Looks like the corporate big boys building the pre fab factories, have told their Gov puppets to give them the tax payers money.

Were the little builders & self builders asked if they wanted to prepare to build prefabs ?  Don't remember it 

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

12 minutes ago, Saving For a Space Ship said:

Wave of prefab homes planned to tackle UK housing crisis

Government considering 100,000 modular units to meet target of one million homes by 2020 says report

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/oct/30/wave-of-prefab-homes-planned-to-tackle-uk-housing-crisis

Looks like the corporate big boys building the pre fab factories, have told their Gov puppets to give them the tax payers money.

Where the little builders & self builders asked if they wanted to prepare to build prefabs ?  Don't remember it 

So the builders can save on labour, logistical, and materials costs, but the house (land) still sells for the same inflated amount. Meanwhile, the "homeowner" gets a house that has to be replaced in 25 years.

Edited by Eddie_George

Similar Telegraph article from yesterday ..

Britain set for new wave of prefabs to help tackle housing crisis

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/29/britain-set-for-new-wave-of-prefabs-to-help-tackle-housing-crisi/

It is understood that a Government white paper expected to be published next month will include measures to encourage banks to lend to small firms that build houses off-site, which are then delivered to a final destination.

Ministers have taken a “huge interest” in 21st-century prefabs after being impressed that some were erected on site in just 48 hours.

But how many small firms have been told about this & if so when? While the big boys have got the jump, spending 100 £millions on factories 

On 10/23/2016 at 8:00 PM, hotairmail said:

Legal and General announced they were building a huge factory in Leeds. Basically driving down the costs of the build to rent sector....

http://www.legalandgeneral.com/homes/

Edit: Note to self: read the op's link first. Apparently it is about L&G's move announced some months ago. But as the Economist blocks me, you may find my link useful.

Legal & General Homes seems to be a new part of Legal & General.  It would be interesting to know the legal structure of their connection. 

It's a surprise that L&G are getting so directly involved in property development/landlording and suchlike as banks and insurance companies in the past have only taken property "on board" temporarily" to help them over bad patches in the property market - or so they've said.  They usually claim stuff like they're in the finance business and not the property business.

Looking at their web site L&G looks more like a property development company (typically talking about "bulldozer money") than an insurance and investment group.

.http://www.legalandgeneralgroup.com

There's little or nothing of detail about the background of L&G Homes and when it was established - after doing a search.

Apparently L&G took a big stake in Cala Homes fairly recently (nearly 50%) but that company doesn't seem to be part of L&G Homes.

It's difficult to know what to make of it all with them investing in that market at this point in time.  It seems a bit risky even if the yield from rentals might seem relatively good.

Edited by billybong

I keep banging on about an Adam Curtis documentary Inquiry - The Great British Housing Disaster. This documentary explained the issues with the previous system built houses and flats built after the war and how basically naive councillors gave the go ahead to building them without knowing anything about them, how building inspectors didn't know how to inspect them and the many problems with the with creating them in the factories and building them on site using unskilled labour.

I really don't see how anything has fundamentally changed since the 50s and 60s with pre-fabs. People seem to think quality control is a relatively new invention and the mistakes of the past can be overcome. However the old pre-fabs were inspected during manufacture and installation but many faults crept in. I did mention this in another thread. With some expensive low volume pre-fab systems some of the cost is quality control. But I've never been able to see how quality control can be applied to high volume low cost systems whilst still keeping the costs down. Arguably it has taken the car industry a long time to get a handle on low cost quality control and they've using factory assembly lines continuously for over 100 years.

17 hours ago, assetrichcashpoor said:

I keep banging on about an Adam Curtis documentary Inquiry - The Great British Housing Disaster. This documentary explained the issues with the previous system built houses and flats built after the war and how basically naive councillors gave the go ahead to building them without knowing anything about them, how building inspectors didn't know how to inspect them and the many problems with the with creating them in the factories and building them on site using unskilled labour.

I really don't see how anything has fundamentally changed since the 50s and 60s with pre-fabs. People seem to think quality control is a relatively new invention and the mistakes of the past can be overcome. However the old pre-fabs were inspected during manufacture and installation but many faults crept in. I did mention this in another thread. With some expensive low volume pre-fab systems some of the cost is quality control. But I've never been able to see how quality control can be applied to high volume low cost systems whilst still keeping the costs down. Arguably it has taken the car industry a long time to get a handle on low cost quality control and they've using factory assembly lines continuously for over 100 years.

If you mentioned "Inquiry. The Great British Housing Disaster (Adam Curtis, 1984)" before, thanks.  I watched it & recommend it .

I don't know the answer to the quality control issue, perhaps more robots ? 

On a related note, I founded a small unfunded community group 2 yrs ago (see blog at www.Cabinz.net)  We've researched small shelters & self builds. 

I wonder if Self Builders were building their own pre fabs, they would make more care on the quality control ? 

17 hours ago, assetrichcashpoor said:

I think the problem was that the councilors were not going to live in them.