House Price Crash Forum

Flies in my Flat

JoeDavola

HOLA441

This is rather disgusting and reveals the squalor in which I live, but hey ho.

I've just realized all of a sudden there's an alarming amount of wee tiny flies in my flat. When I took the bin out (which had been over-flowing for several days), they followed me like something out of a cartoon:

A_Black_and_White_Cartoon_Swarm_Flies_Sw

(Artists Impression)

As I type this I can see one or two of the wee ******* flying around me. 

So now I have to get rid of this plague. Obviously the first port of call is to clean the flat top to bottom, which is what I'm gonna do now. And from now on in I'll not leave any decomposing food lying around the flat on plates ect...

But is there anything else I need to look out for in terms of what could be causing this? And what do I do to kill the ones that are left - is there a fly killer spray you can get in Tescos or something?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
5 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

This is rather disgusting and reveals the squalor in which I live, but hey ho.

I've just realized all of a sudden there's an alarming amount of wee tiny flies in my flat. When I took the bin out (which had been over-flowing for several days), they followed me like something out of a cartoon:

A_Black_and_White_Cartoon_Swarm_Flies_Sw

(Artists Impression)

As I type this I can see one or two of the wee ******* flying around me. 

So now I have to get rid of this plague. Obviously the first port of call is to clean the flat top to bottom, which is what I'm gonna do now. And from now on in I'll not leave any decomposing food lying around the flat on plates ect...

But is there anything else I need to look out for in terms of what could be causing this? And what do I do to kill the ones that are left - is there a fly killer spray you can get in Tescos or something?

Small flies are probably fruit flies and not a problem. Its when you get a plague of house flies or bluebottles gathering in large numbers around a window frame on warm autumn days it gets a bit unpleasant. Apart from it being a bit Amityville house of horror it always suggests a dead mouse or rat under a floor or in a wall,has just hatched its egg load.

I wouldnt use sprays though. Spraying a substance thats designed to kill cpmplicated lifeforms around your living space doesnot  seem a healthy thing to me.  But maybe thats just me.

HOLA447
10 minutes ago, StainlessSteelCat said:

Do you have a fruit bowl - perhaps with bananas in it? Often this will be the source. 

Yeah I always have bannanas and apples in my fruit bowl. And there was bannana skins and apple cores sitting in my bin uncovered.

I basically need to get a fruit bowl with a cover then?

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
5 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Yeah I always have bannanas and apples in my fruit bowl. And there was bannana skins and apple cores sitting in my bin uncovered.

Don't cover a fruit bowl with bananas in - they'll cause everything to ripen and go off really quickly. Probably the banana skins assuming none of the fruit was off. They also love beer so chuck any empty bottles or cans away.

HOLA4411
15 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Sounds like you have fruit flies (small, brownish and tend to drift around if you disturb them?) That will help - but make sure you get the skins and cores out of the flat. The problem should reduce then.  We tend to get a mini-outbreak every year later in the summer as the missus insists an open bowl with veg peelings etc is more visually appealing than a closed plastic tub supplied by the council. 

The good news is that they will likely be fairly localised and will follow the food source. 

A hoover is surprisingly effective at getting rid of flies btw. Simply turn on and wave the nozzle in their direction.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
15 minutes ago, StainlessSteelCat said:

A hoover is surprisingly effective at getting rid of flies btw. Simply turn on and wave the nozzle in their direction.

Am I allowed to pretend I'm a Ghostbuster while I'm doing this?

ghostbusters-original-alt-1500-xlarge.jp

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
17 minutes ago, chronyx said:

Get a spider

Let's not do anything do anything rash now.

Spent the last hour scrubbing and sweeping. Will spend the next few hours doing the same. Found a maggot type thing crawling about under the bed. About an inch long I'd guess.

If this is my last post it's because the flies have ganged up and overpowered me. 

#PrayForJoe

HOLA4418
3 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Let's not do anything do anything rash now.

Spent the last hour scrubbing and sweeping. Will spend the next few hours doing the same. Found a maggot type thing crawling about under the bed. About an inch long I'd guess.

If this is my last post it's because the flies have ganged up and overpowered me. 

#PrayForJoe

I don't want to alarm, but maggots are not loners. Best check (go under the bed and look up to see if it has fallen on the floor from underneath the bed) that its extended family is not around

btw, I'm praying for your soul :rolleyes:

HOLA4419
34 minutes ago, One-percent said:

I don't want to alarm, but maggots are not loners. Best check (go under the bed and look up to see if it has fallen on the floor from underneath the bed) that its extended family is not around

Thanks for the info. Brb checking into a hotel for the night.

HOLA4420
2 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

In the kitchen they will be fruit flies, nothing to worry about at all. Remove the veg/fruit waste and the flies will go. The presence of fruit flies in the kitchen is always my signal to take stuff to the compost heap, and it happens about once a week.

But under the bed though, how big are they ?

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
2 minutes ago, One-percent said:

Sorry joe. :)

make s that you have no little 'friends ' clinging to the edge of your suitcase  :lol:

Ha!

I've just doused the whole flat in petrol, set it alight, and taken my clothes off and thrown them into the inferno. I'm now strolling though Belfast city center, bollock naked, in search of a suitable hotel.

Cause you can't be too careful, can you!

HOLA4424
14 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Ha!

I've just doused the whole flat in petrol, set it alight, and taken my clothes off and thrown them into the inferno. I'm now strolling though Belfast city center, bollock naked, in search of a suitable hotel.

Cause you can't be too careful, can you!

If you had bed bugs, you would not be posting this in jest. 

HOLA4425

Archived