House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruce Banner

Massive DDoS attack

I have one of those alexa things which you talk too and it plays music and radio stations and other stuff. Yesterday amazon added the smaller echo device to the range was posted out to all those who ordered.

Many whining now on faceache they don't work as they can't reach the servers through all the traffic..

It's probably fans of the Donald pissed off at the US news providers.

Between about 7.30 and 8.00pm last night - both the VHS "Just Eat", and their Betamax rival "Hungry House", were suffering maintenance issues that their engineers were working hard to resolve. I witnessed this personally as the 20th of the month is pay-day - and is therefore the day me and Mrs XYY order our once-a-month takeaway treat..!

Thankfully we still had a menu that'd dropped through the letter-box from Peterlee Tandoori a few weeks ago - and used the telephone to get our hit of pretendy-Indian food the good, old-fashioned way.

I shudder to think how many tubby, diabetes-suffering, kebab-chomping, tax-credit tit-sucklers thought their entire world had caved-in last night..!

XYY

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

55 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Between about 7.30 and 8.00pm last night - both the VHS "Just Eat", and their Betamax rival "Hungry House", were suffering maintenance issues that their engineers were working hard to resolve. I witnessed this personally as the 20th of the month is pay-day - and is therefore the day me and Mrs XYY order our once-a-month takeaway treat..!

Thankfully we still had a menu that'd dropped through the letter-box from Peterlee Tandoori a few weeks ago - and used the telephone to get our hit of pretendy-Indian food the good, old-fashioned way.

I shudder to think how many tubby, diabetes-suffering, kebab-chomping, tax-credit tit-sucklers thought their entire world had caved-in last night..!

XYY

That explains why I was frigging around with my cable modem thingy and routers while the wifi addicts were moaning in the house last night, it cleared up by 8pm but I thought that was my doing!

1 hour ago, interestrateripoff said:

So who will get blamed for this?  China / N Korea / Russia / ISIS

Looks like Trump. I kid you not. It seems that the blame is being put on Wikileaks' supporters of Assange... so assume that is meant to be Anonymous... so it is only a matter of time before they blame Trump.

21 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Looks like Trump. I kid you not. It seems that the blame is being put on Wikileaks' supporters of Assange... so assume that is meant to be Anonymous... so it is only a matter of time before they blame Trump.

I have my suspicions that Anonymous are an inside job

2 hours ago, ChewingGrass said:

That explains why I was frigging around with my cable modem thingy and routers while the wifi addicts were moaning in the house last night, it cleared up by 8pm but I thought that was my doing!

There was actually something going on overnight with UK internet access to the wider world. I know no more than that a serious problem had been identified and was being investigated. I will say no more... mainly because I know no more.

Yes, the whole internet is now totally vulnerable now due to the proliferation of Internet of Things devices and Surveillance cameras.

Basically tens of millions of devices many of which offer Telnet and have admin/password as their credentials.

This is easy to solve, rather than letting the devices communicate individually over the Internet using IP, they should be building a walled garden around individual collections of devices and then bulking up the data transfer before onward transmission for  subsequent processing. At least then you get one big fat secure pipe per group rather than millions of completely open ones.  Basically this needs some sort of secure data transfer fabric.

4 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

XYY

This may explain why Oldham is starving today?

Wow. Twitter and Spotify down for a few hours. Not exactly Chernobyl, eh?:wacko:

We're going to see a lot more of this in the years to come. There is currently no way of preventing such attacks and they're difficult to mitigate/stop.

40 minutes ago, Snagger said:

OpenDNS stayed up, you might want to consider using them if this becomes more common.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/10/21/dns_devastation_as_dyn_dies_under_denialofservice_attack/

So did Google's name servers which I prefer to OpenDNS.

I use DynDns for tracking my home IP address for port forwarding and at first I thought my broadband or router was down.

It doesn't matter in the slightest. I get really annoyed when people start belly aching that they don't have everything available 24/7.

The delays in building new power stations will probably lead to a whole run of power cuts for years; not being able to Twitter for a few hours may then be thrown into better relief.

25 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

It doesn't matter in the slightest. I get really annoyed when people start belly aching that they don't have everything available 24/7.

The delays in building new power stations will probably lead to a whole run of power cuts for years; not being able to Twitter for a few hours may then be thrown into better relief.

Speak for yourself!

We rely on being able to check our security cameras when we are away for a few months. If they don't respond it could mean a router or line fault or worse, so if it doesn't come back in a few hours we have to ask one of the kids to go round and investigate, which is a pain in the neck for them.

In short, if we can't connect, we worry until we can.

48 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

So did Google's name servers which I prefer to OpenDNS.

I use DynDns for tracking my home IP address for port forwarding and at first I thought my broadband or router was down.

eggs, basket.  the Internet was designed for multi routes.  Deny that in practice and you are vulnerable.

25 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

Speak for yourself!

We rely on being able to check our security cameras when we are away for a few months. If they don't respond it could mean a router or line fault or worse, so if it doesn't come back in a few hours we have to ask one of the kids to go round and investigate, which is a pain in the neck for them.

In short, if we can't connect, we worry until we can.

That sounds rather precarious Bruce.  And unless you're really fortunate isn't all that that's going to tell you is that you have had a fire or have been burgled?

I wasn't directing my previous post at anybody on this thread or OT BTW.