House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

Oldham is starving

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/8/news-headlines/100270/groups-as-one-in-the-fight-to-end-uk-hunger

SOME 20,000 Oldhamers are living in food poverty, according to new statistics ­- prompting a fresh fight to end hunger.

Where's their data from:  Data from the United Nations suggests more than eight million UK residents struggle to put food on the table ­- 20,000 in Oldham alone.

Population in Oldham is over  224,897  (A few years old number) 

14 minutes ago, Bossybabe said:

I guess it isn't Teresa May's fault if people prioritise cigarettes, alcohol and weed ahead of food when spending their benefits. :unsure:

And scratchies.

29 minutes ago, StainlessSteelCat said:

I found this definition of food poverty:

https://www.sustainweb.org/foodaccess/what_is_food_poverty/

But not quite sure how it is objectively managed given the various contributing factors (unlike fuel poverty which in the UK at least is defined as spending >10% of your income to stay warm). 

From that link: "Food poverty can also be about an overabundance of “junk” food as well as a lack of healthy food."

So all this talk of 'food banks' sounds off the mark -- is food bank use relevant if people spend their money on high cost, unhealthy food then complain that they've not got enough cash to buy food.

Food poverty, at its crudest level, is not consuming more than 1000 calories (I think a day).

No one in the UK suffers from food poverty - the only people consuming low numbers of calories are rich people.

My, how times have changed. Years ago the rich were fat and the poor were thin.

This food poverty/food bank nonsense is a bunch of happy clappies who have stumbled on means of getting their names in the papers. Its all ******.

Sure some people get sanctioned and the DSS are sh1t. Thats when churches and charities help out. But 98% of food banks are just enabling poor life styles.

51 minutes ago, dgul said:

From that link: "Food poverty can also be about an overabundance of “junk” food as well as a lack of healthy food."

So all this talk of 'food banks' sounds off the mark -- is food bank use relevant if people spend their money on high cost, unhealthy food then complain that they've not got enough cash to buy food.

Quite. If you can afford an overabundance of junk food you can afford decent food. The "overabundance of junk food" inclusion makes a complete mockery of it.

50 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Food poverty, at its crudest level, is not consuming more than 1000 calories (I think a day).

No one in the UK suffers from food poverty - the only people consuming low numbers of calories are rich people.

My, how times have changed. Years ago the rich were fat and the poor were thin.

This food poverty/food bank nonsense is a bunch of happy clappies who have stumbled on means of getting their names in the papers. Its all ******.

Sure some people get sanctioned and the DSS are sh1t. Thats when churches and charities help out. But 98% of food banks are just enabling poor life styles.

^ this

food has never been cheaper. If you buy the raw ingredients and cook it yourself, it is incredibly cheap 

problem, afaict, is what's being mentioned above re smokes, booze, scratchies, coupled to people not knowing how to actually cook

12 hours ago, One-percent said:

^ this

food has never been cheaper. If you buy the raw ingredients and cook it yourself, it is incredibly cheap 

problem, afaict, is what's being mentioned above re smokes, booze, scratchies, coupled to people not knowing how to actually cook

I know it's a nice stereotype, and as such often true, but from the reports that I have heard (I have no direct or even second hand experience) the primary customers of the food banks, for which you need a referral, are people who have temporarily lost their benefits (for something as trivial as moving address and the admin system takes up to six weeks to catch up) and those in low wage jobs whose wages are mostly swallowed up by rent.

I may be swallowing a lie, and there will of course be exceptions, but I am happy to chip in an admittedly small donation to them.

13 hours ago, One-percent said:

^ this

I assume charities who run food banks ask questions of those who turn up so they can signpost them to additional help:
like debt management, benefit checkup, warm home people, home ec. advice, etc

Oh wait that wouldn't be in their interests to help stop people falling into need. 
Or am I just too cynical.

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I know it's a nice stereotype, and as such often true, but from the reports that I have heard (I have no direct or even second hand experience) the primary customers of the food banks, for which you need a referral, are people who have temporarily lost their benefits (for something as trivial as moving address and the admin system takes up to six weeks to catch up) and those in low wage jobs whose wages are mostly swallowed up by rent.

I may be swallowing a lie, and there will of course be exceptions, but I am happy to chip in an admittedly small donation to them.

I can honestly believe your anecdotes frank. There are always ones who slip through the cracks.  The individuals dealing with this (the benefit angle) are just cogs in the machine and so will be unable to intervene to force a quick and sensible outcome.  

And yes, for those in work, if no kids, times must be incredibly hard. 

6 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

They are my 2%.

Im with Frank Field on this - what the fck do the DSS do with their time?

Despite claims by the foodbanks that they'll only give once parcel to a person a max of twice, a mate who worked at a foodbank says (and I believe him) its the same people turning up and doing over the naive churchy type who work there.

The check go along the line of 'Have you had a parcel in the last 3 months?'

Reply - 'Oh no, not me'.

Joke DSS. Joke foodbanks.

9 minutes ago, spyguy said:

They are my 2%.

Im with Frank Field on this - what the fck do the DSS do with their time?

Despite claims by the foodbanks that they'll only give once parcel to a person a max of twice, a mate who worked at a foodbank says (and I believe him) its the same people turning up and doing over the naive churchy type who work there.

The check go along the line of 'Have you had a parcel in the last 3 months?'

Reply - 'Oh no, not me'.

Joke DSS. Joke foodbanks.

It sort of makes me want to volunteer so I can see for myself.

14 hours ago, spyguy said:

How many people know really why food banks are now a thing when they were not even 10 years ago? 

You generally need a referral to go to a food bank, under Labour social services were not allowed to refer you to food banks, when the Tories got in they then introduced a policy where they were allowed to do so (technically not a referral but called signposting). Therefore it's increased massively since the Tories got in not because of austerity and cutting of benefits (not saying that helps) but because they have allowed the masses to access such a service. 

Problem is that in this country there are a number of people who now expect state hand outs, if services open up offering free food I've little doubt that people will access the service even outside of times of great need. 

29 minutes ago, gilf said:

Problem is that in this country there are a number of people who now expect state hand outs, if services open up offering free food I've little doubt that people will access the service even outside of times of great need. 

There's the rise of the 'pay what you feel' cafe too. Supported by fareshare etc.

1 hour ago, DEATH said:

I know someone who is involved with foodbanks. A clue to who uses them is the majority of them don't speak English.

Is entry to a food bank means tested? Or is it a free for all to get free stuff?

27 minutes ago, gilf said:

How many people know really why food banks are now a thing when they were not even 10 years ago? 

You generally need a referral to go to a food bank, under Labour social services were not allowed to refer you to food banks, when the Tories got in they then introduced a policy where they were allowed to do so (technically not a referral but called signposting). Therefore it's increased massively since the Tories got in not because of austerity and cutting of benefits (not saying that helps) but because they have allowed the masses to access such a service. 

History/info:

Food banks are setup by evangelical churches.

The happy clappy have been doing a lnumber of things to engage with the plebs.

15 years ago it was street pastors.

Annoying fcking twts hanging around at kicking out time.

10 years ago they stumbled on food banks and has gone from there.

Careful - behind every nice christian is a bill to pay - the Trussell trust *license* for **money** the food bank concept. Scamters!

The rferal bollx is just that - ******.

A friend worked for one.

In a small town, he'd see the same people turn up time and time again. Its like a soup kitchen.

There were odd people that turned up who did need - esp. as they were not on the ball and the DSS fcked up.

But even in this situation the foodbank claim that they'll only give 2 parcels is just not enough. DSS fck up can take a few weeks to resolve. When they are resolved they get the money owed.

What would work in this case would be some for of short term charitable. credit and maybe some help budgetting and basic home economics.

Again Frank Field is correct - we spend a fortune on social welfare yet it does not seem to work. Why?

7 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Again Frank Field is correct - we spend a fortune on social welfare yet it does not seem to work. Why?

No appetite for looking into what would work better? Poorhouses - feeding en masse, communal buildings with activities for the children, shared facilities for laundry.