House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cashinmattress

The new Bonnie-Bobber. Me wants

For you fellow bikers, just how nice is this?

bonnie1.jpeg

http://www.triumphmotorcycles.co.uk/bikes/classics/bonneville-bobber/2017/bonneville-bobber?utm_source=mailing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=BRUTALBEAUTY-R

Got a hidden mono-shock in their somewhere so its not a real kidney killer, just has the look.

I'm not a Harley fan for a multitude of reasons, but they do have the advantage in prestige and sound. Perhaps this is Triumph starting a game change or just a having a good stab at the '48 market.

Price isn't being stated yet, but I would reckon in the range of 7-10k... and that's before you put some proper pipes on it.

Can't wait for the test day and a go on it.

Ah yes, a hipster bike. You need another front disc and a full size headlamp for starters.

Have you ridden long or is this some kind of hobby ? (I actually only started again after a 12 year break)

Hipster? naw. Classic style right back to the 1950's when the look was born.

I'm not hip, too old. Is this what young beardie's drive around now? Reckoned a 'hipster' was one without any powered wheels, or drive an estate car or a mini. Lol. No idea.

Riding long? Many decades enough? My first bike was an RM 80 back in the 80's. My first 'proper' road legal bike was an XL 250 back in the late 80's. My first big bike was a 'gixer 1100 which was promptly traded over for a Katana as the 'gixer was very unwieldy and uncomfortable.

And over the years I've had various scooters, racers, tourers,  etc.. I still spend a month or so in the alps every year...can be anywhere between Spain to Romania.

I like the look of the bike, classic, with all the mod cons... and imagine it would be a great weekend blast, perhaps even commuter. Not for distance though.

Even like the Royal Enfield's except for the damn vibration.

There are a lot of these stripped back, retro 'hipster' bikes around nowadays. Loved the BMW R Nine T, this looks even better. The multi adjustable seat sounds like a great idea, and triumph are claiming more power that the T120's 80ps, so should be more than enough go for this type of bike.

I looked at a lot of bikes recently, and in the end I traded by beloved Blackbird in for an extremely pedestrian 1250 Bandit. Less than 100 bhp, much (much!) slower than the Blackbird, but comfier with much more user friendly luggage fitted as standard. The better half and I had a round Scotland tour on the weekend I collected it, 600-odd miles in 3 days, 4500rpm max. and were delighted with it. Time will tell regarding the level of finish on the thing, but I suspect it'll need a lot more cleaning than the Honda!

For the type of use you listed, probably as damn near perfect as you could get.... but I wouldn't be tempted to take it near the Alps if I were you!

It looks like a nice bike. What's with the single seat? I'm not sure what a hipster is, but I am sure it is an insult.

I like everything but the seat. I sat on a Harley with that type of seat and wouldn't fancy any long journeys on it.

I'll probably be getting a Bonnie next year if I can afford it, just one of the T100's as the others are too much to insure for me.

I had a police Harley with a single seat. I changed it for a double seat that went up and down on springs (was an old Harley). Would fit a pretty ample lady on the back in comfort.

1 hour ago, Renewed Investor said:

I like everything but the seat. I sat on a Harley with that type of seat and wouldn't fancy any long journeys on it.

I'll probably be getting a Bonnie next year if I can afford it, just one of the T100's as the others are too much to insure for me.

I got my Suzuki sv650 insured in the spring. Was expecting to have to pay 5 or £600 as I`ve got no no claims bonus (though I am 56 !)

Cost me 93 quid for the year.

Surely a Bonneville should be cheap to insure?

Just now, MrPin said:

Surely a Bonneville should be cheap to insure?

£700 fully comp for me, £400'ish for third party, fire and theft. The only bike cheaper to insure for me is an old Bandit (£600 fully comp).

For a T120 Bonnie the quote for fully comp went up from £700 to £1800.

Riding a bike is a damn expensive hobby for young people, it's why not many my age take it up. Most Bikers I meet are 40+.

I was under the impression that a bobber only really made sense if you'd welded it up yourself.  Buying a pre-made bobber sounds like a bizarre concept, like buying a Chrysler Cruiser and thinking you'd got a hot-rod.  I'm sure they'll sell loads, then in about 10 years when fashion has changed they'll all be really cheap.