House Price Crash Forum

Central bankers have collectively lost the plot. They must raise interest rates or face their doom

HOLA441
On 10/20/2016 at 10:18 AM, shindigger said:

John Major didnt "help" when the SHTF in the early 90s.

I was able to buy a house, in London, on a single wage, working in the NHS.

Thankyou John.

For sure it could be a real benefit to have a secure public sector job in London then - or even any secure job as there weren't that many of them in the 90s compared to the past..

Edited by billybong

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
On 20/10/2016 at 10:18 AM, shindigger said:

John Major didnt "help" when the SHTF in the early 90s.

I was able to buy a house, in London, on a single wage, working in the NHS.

Thankyou John.

Sir John, you mean - he does deserve the respect of that title, after all! :)

HOLA443
On 10/18/2016 at 10:56 AM, TheCountOfNowhere said:

William Hague should be canonized for this artilce/list

Worthy of it's own thread.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/17/central-bankers-have-collectively-lost-the-plot-they-must-raise/

CvCphj_WcAAq7Uo.jpg

CvCppWEWIAAPUg9.jpg

..ha..ha ..this lot are not cowards of the county..just cowards of the country....:rolleyes:

HOLA444
HOLA445
On 18/10/2016 at 6:34 PM, otters said:

I read somewhere today that when the economic collapse came it took all the banks by surprise, and that is why we needed an emergency economic stimulus.

Well, if it came as a surprise to most of them I suggest they are in the wrong job. They knew exactly what they were doing, they just didn't give a toss, and still don't. 

Them and all of their VI friends. Thats why we have had all of the stimulus over the last 8 years. The next bust will not be as unexpected.

HOLA446
On 19/10/2016 at 11:47 PM, Money Frugality said:

This is also why the current inflation 'issue' is a non starter.. Put prices up and I'll save harder.. Eventually it will just lead to those putting up the prices getting less as the belts get tighter.. Same reason spoons, primark and Aldi are so packed. Charge more you get less. 

Exactly, if car manufacturers doubled the price of their ranges it massively reduce their market. Its for that reason they currently have sales tools like lease hire and PCP, ways to hide that fact that their products are slowly losing fiscal touch with their market. 

Central bankers are suffering from a form of economic fiscal policy Stockholm syndrome and when they stayed passive prisoner and didn't die group thinking cajoled the rest into ignoring the the sunlight they could see through the open doors fearing it would burn them alive. It was easy to convince them as they all knew how fragile things are. Their whole industry has reinforce this mindset by their failure to have noticed the non-economic environment prior to the credit crunch becoming unable to support debt levels. They have no confidence that they could predict the levels of NPLs they will have to bare when rates lift. So bankers need higher rates because that's how they earn but fear them as they keep getting told as soon as rates lift they burn.

'Let it burn.'

HOLA447
HOLA448

Funny how he 'finds his voice' now he has 'feathered his own nest'/is in a position of security...Red, Blue, Orange...whatever colour their politics they are basically just all the same....career politicians (never had a 'real job') 'sucking off the teat of the people' and pretending to be anti the opposition but just a great big club laughing at us for supporting them in their endevours!

HOLA449
HOLA4410
9 minutes ago, hotairmail said:

They're all getting in on the act now.

Front page of the FT - comment piece by CEO Blackstone....

https://www.ft.com/content/f6d94782-979a-11e6-a1dc-bdf38d484582

To revive America’s economy, raise interest rates

The longer the low-rate environment lasts, the greater the systemic risk

Agreed. The problem is it involves throwing heavy debtors under the bus instead of extending their credit lines. That's the thing Carney and Haldane can't get their heads around.

HOLA4411
3 minutes ago, Si1 said:

Agreed. The problem is it involves throwing heavy debtors under the bus instead of extending their credit lines. That's the thing Carney and Haldane can't get their heads around.

It would help if they had an economic model that included debt and energy as variables, even qualitatively. They don't, which is why we're in the mess we're in and likely to remain so.

HOLA4412
6 minutes ago, Si1 said:

Yeah but ... NPL are a sign that the banks are shit and useless and, by extension, the Central banks that oversee them are also shit and useless.

You know, not worth their high salaries and bonuses.

Who know, they might replace a 200k banker with a bit of code that totals up the risk, checks the leverage and majes the decision instead.

HOLA4413

There's a view that it'll take 6 months for pain to really show. I can see why TM is at this point asking why Carney is lowering rates when it will only make things harder further down the line.

I know some big mortgagees for whom the rate cut was a gift, planning on buying a new car off it. Ffs. 

HOLA4414
8 minutes ago, Si1 said:

There's a view that it'll take 6 months for pain to really show. I can see why TM is at this point asking why Carney is lowering rates when it will only make things harder further down the line.

I know some big mortgagees for whom the rate cut was a gift, planning on buying a new car off it. Ffs. 

The theory says ir cuts will helpnovdrvindebted households.

The last 8 years of practice points to household getting more indebted.

If a CB is going to slash rates and kick off QE then to needs to force indebted companies and household to pay down the debt not let them blo the difference.