House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Migrant Mother

Bank accounts Russia Today are FROZEN in the UK

Clinton desperately needs a war to distract people from the election. She'd rather burn the world in a nuclear fireball than lose.

Where in that letter does it say the account is frozen?
Natwest says it's closing the account in December and will send them a cheque if the balance hasn't been transferred before that time.

I posted this in the BBC propaganda thread, but more appropiate here ...

RBS are expecting some huge fines from US regulators, I can't help but think that RBS are earning favour with the US government in some way by doing this. The propganda angle is ******** imho, even if RT are spouting propaganda, it's not the banks responsibility to police it. I'm sure the BBC editorial team will love it though.

Most likely explanation imho is that money is being laundered through RTs bank accounts.

I hope Al Jazeera arn't next.

Yes, I find this whole thing very distasteful and very anti-freedom of speech and anti-democratic.

I am assuming mostly grown ups watch RT and that they can separate say Russian Government bias from say British Government Bias on the BBC.

Give me LBC any day.

I love some of the responses to this thread! At least it keeps our pet FSB-funded shill(s) busy.

NatWest exercises its democratic right to chose who it offers banking services to.  RT has (I believe) a month before anything happens and can make alternative arrangements.  There could (as Snaggers has said) be any number of reasonable reasons for this however it should have no effect on RT's ability to operate in the UK.

Compare this with what happens to journalists in Russia that offer an alternative narrative to that sanctioned by the state. 

3 hours ago, Snagger said:

Most likely explanation imho is that money is being laundered through RTs bank accounts.

Extremely unlikely.

Do you really think they would launder money through in the most obvious place?

RT's accounts and banking has been the subject of scrutiny for years. There are no irregularities.

5 minutes ago, InlikeFlynn said:

NatWest exercises its democratic right to chose who it offers banking services to.  RT has (I believe) a month before anything happens and can make alternative arrangements.  There could (as Snaggers has said) be any number of reasonable reasons for this however it should have no effect on RT's ability to operate in the UK.

This isn't really the point. The point is that who will it be next? If a journalist or paper writes an article the establishment doesn't like will their banking get terminated? If a media entity persists in showing the other side of the story will their banking be terminated?

Where does it end?

A good example of why fully electronic money will be a police state dream.

7 minutes ago, Errol said:

This isn't really the point. The point is that who will it be next? If a journalist or paper writes an article the establishment doesn't like will their banking get terminated? If a media entity persists in showing the other side of the story will their banking be terminated?

Where does it end?

A good example of why fully electronic money will be a police state dream.

In the UK it may end, I fear, being like the state-controlled propaganda machine that is the non-free press in Russia.

Only watch it at bedtime, but usually pretty good in terms of content and debate. Refreshing. Seems to have a HPC vibe in its reporting. Most of the female presenters are very easy on the eye too.

The next battle post US election will be free speech, especially the internet, woe betide Clinton winning... go long baked beans :ph34r:

26 minutes ago, InlikeFlynn said:

I love some of the responses to this thread! At least it keeps our pet FSB-funded shill(s) busy.

Compare this with what happens to journalists in Russia that offer an alternative narrative to that sanctioned by the state. 

That's rather naive. I doubt this is a simple commercial decision by an independent bank. The UK government owns 73% of RBS, so you can guess who may be pulling the strings.

5 minutes ago, happy_renting said:

That's rather naive. I doubt this is a simple commercial decision by an independent bank. The UK government owns 73% of RBS, so you can guess who may be pulling the strings.

I didn't offer any view (naive or otherwise) on why NatWest has acted as it has.   I was contrasting the minimal effect this decision will have on RT's operations with the conditions faced by journalists offering alternative narratives in Russia.

15 minutes ago, InlikeFlynn said:

I didn't offer any view (naive or otherwise) on why NatWest has acted as it has.   I was contrasting the minimal effect this decision will have on RT's operations with the conditions faced by journalists offering alternative narratives in Russia.

You said that RBS was exercising it's right to choose. My point is that it was not necessarily RBS that did the choosing.

I agree with your point about the lack of press freedom in Russia.

1 hour ago, InlikeFlynn said:

So it's a democratic decision by a bank. Then you imply it's a political one. 

A healthy alternative view shouldn't be a worry to those who value the free press. What a worrying precedent. 

Unless RT breached some conditions in their contract with NatWest they have no reason to close their accounts.

It's obvious that this is a political move.