House Price Crash Forum

New Adam Curtis Documentary: Hypernormalisation

m0nk3ee

1 hour ago, LC1 said:

Even a sanitised & approved 'voice of modern discontent' will resonate with some people and prompt them to begin educating themselves. It was refreshing to find it on the front summary page of my rarely used iplayer. I had expected to have to plumb the depths of BBC 4 archives to find it.

On 10/18/2016 at 6:37 PM, wonderpup said:

I thought the central premise that reality is becoming more 'fungible' in politics was an interesting notion- but he kind of missed the more obvious aspects of both Trump and Brexit- that both are expressions not of false reality but of the all too real failure of the rising tide of neo liberal globalisation to lift all boats.

The reason that people are apparently more willing to buy into the 'cartoon' versions of reality offered by Trump and Brexit is not because they have been brainwashed by an echo chamber internet but because they have a bigger fish to fry- which is to attack the establishment via it's only vulnerable point- the ballot box.

Curtis seems to be stuck in an echo chamber of his own here- in his cartoon reality everyone who voted Brexit or supports Trump is a racist thug- the non cartoon reality is a little more complex than that.

Excellent point, and I'm a massive Curtis fan because he gives light to interesting ideas and connections that might not be everything but are damn interesting and influential, but i found this one to be incredibly disjointed. I don't think Curtis knew what narrative arc to draw, so I'm left with a series of very interesting historical views and facts - which is good - i mean the "no-one knows what Russia wants in Syria." was just stupid, I mean Syria has Russia's only port in the middle east!

There are more interesting view/facts in this doc, than a years worth of MSM news output combined so credit.

4 hours ago, John The Pessimist said:

Even a sanitised & approved 'voice of modern discontent' will resonate with some people and prompt them to begin educating themselves. It was refreshing to find it on the front summary page of my rarely used iplayer. I had expected to have to plumb the depths of BBC 4 archives to find it.

To Curtis's credit, when it comes to attacking Economic systems, his previous docs esp. The Mayfair Set, are fascinating as is "The Century of The Self" and other Docs.

I watched this because I loved The Power of Nightmares - think he makes captivating documentaries. He's drawing straight lines through a big mess and from a great height so he inevitably misses some, er, yes, details, that's the word! I'm not sure it holds together if you try to increase the resolution. They're very artistic films. Really enjoyed it. Probably because, ironically, it reflected my experience - put some things into form for me. Oh dear! But e.g. I am not dismayed at the punch and judy show of the US election, it feels absolutely, perfectly right for this weird bendy reality we live in, don't know why people are offended by it, that madness is a bit of truth. I'm not sure he was equating brexit and terrorism, was he? Will be watching again so will keep an eye out for that. Especially loved the bit about the experience of reality in the Soviet Union, fantastic. Not-likey-bit, frowny face - I thought the suicide bomb was first used in Sri Lanka. Anybody?

Saw this the other day - it raises some interesting points about perception management, normalisation of previously extreme events and the way the internet has evolved as a self reinforcing echo chamber through social media etc but it's far too disjointed for my liking and nowhere near his best work.

He seems to be getting worse as he grows older. Maybe the critical acclaim and his status as the acceptable voice of fringe malcontents have gone to his head.

Reminds me of this parody from a few years ago: