House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

Buying a used kitchen

Some used kitchens are of higher quality than chip new kitchens......all depends on what you get and what they are asking.....worth a look at least. ;)

23 minutes ago, SarahBell said:

I've accidentally clicked on an ad. 
Which took me to possibly the most bizarre site on the internet.
http://www.usedkitchenexchange.co.uk/product-category/used-kitchen

Why would you buy a used kitchen?

I think the point is -- is there an industry out there who has loads of used kitchens that they need to dispose of..?

I'd suggest trying to make friends with a kitchen installer -- they've always got loads of 'used kitchens' on the way to the skip...

On a related note, I do find the concept of fitted kitchens funny.  They make complete sense for a small space -- the traditional galley kitchen really needs to be fitted otherwise you can't fit everything in.  But for a grand kitchen you don't need it to be fitted, and you'd probably have a better 'kitchen experience' with discrete furniture.  Yet it is the largest kitchens in the most expensive houses that have the grandest fitted kitchens.  Odd.

18 minutes ago, winkie said:

Some used kitchens are of higher quality than chip new kitchens......all depends on what you get and what they are asking.....worth a look at least. ;)

I don't want a new or old kitchen. The one I've got is absolutely fine. 

1 minute ago, SarahBell said:

I don't want a new or old kitchen. The one I've got is absolutely fine. 

The one I have got is also absolutely fine....I bought it as used. ;)

My kitchen is full of used car parts.

32 minutes ago, MrPin said:

My kitchen is full of used car parts.

A dishwasher makes an excellent parts washer!

Modern fitted kitchens are awful things. Even the expensive ones are just a load of wood pulp held together with fish guts with a layer of vinyl over the top. 

Same reason for getting a second hand anything - people are wasteful and throw away really good stuff on a whim.  If you are slightly flexible you can get an absolute bargain versus cost of new (I recently fitted a new one so know the full cost of some of those listed). It makes a lot of sense dare I say for a landlord...

1 hour ago, dgul said:

you'd probably have a better 'kitchen experience' with discrete furniture.  

I once had a 'kitchen experience' with a woman in Salisbury.

This is ingenious - there's lots of listings so they're onto something.

What about used bathrooms? If it's not cracked or marked, a lot of the ceramic stuff can be reused. Just blast the lime scale off with steam.

Two chaps I was in school with have been fitting kitchens since they left school. They tell me that they have loads of stupidly rich customers, and bored housewives are part of this, who simply change their kitchens every year. They tell me that they have often changed kitchens where the oven has not been used.

They make a very good living providing a service to the stupid and an even nicer living selling on the kitchens they take out.

Think removal would be time consuming given the extent worktops are put on with gripfill and the like. Cleaning old sealant off would be time consuming too. Would possibly be ok if there were parts available still from the manufacturer.

Edit to add: It does also really question whether those people can afford to live in houses like that when they feel the need to spend time dicking around trying to sell their old kitchen for a couple of thousand pounds.

3 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Two chaps I was in school with have been fitting kitchens since they left school. They tell me that they have loads of stupidly rich customers, and bored housewives are part of this, who simply change their kitchens every year. They tell me that they have often changed kitchens where the oven has not been used.

They make a very good living providing a service to the stupid and an even nicer living selling on the kitchens they take out.

Exactly. With the 24-7 broadcast of "doing up houses" I suspect demand for swapping kitchens out is high.

The risk is low for the website business - they hold no stock. They just provide a market place like ebay, amazon, justeat, facebook etc.

I like the idea of resale rather than their being fly tipped in a country lane.

But as a bloke I don't understand why anybody would get another kitchen when they already have one.

So they can assert themselves in social circles and social media.

It's the same with luxury cars.

There's money to be made in thar social media hills!

16 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I like the idea of resale rather than their being fly tipped in a country lane.

But as a bloke I don't understand why anybody would get another kitchen when they already have one.

Nor do I, but my cooker is pretty much shagged.

I just cook really good food in mine and find that the people with the 'nicest/poshest' kitchens actually won't/don't cook in them as it would make a mess.

Unfortunately as others have stated people who bragg about their new kitchen are probably socially insecure, like the car market it's 'all fur and no knickers' like my grandmother used to say.

4 minutes ago, ChewingGrass said:

I just cook really good food in mine and find that the people with the 'nicest/poshest' kitchens actually won't/don't cook in them as it would make a mess.

Unfortunately as others have stated people who bragg about their new kitchen are probably socially insecure, like the car market it's 'all fur and no knickers' like my grandmother used to say.

Your grandmother was "Pinwise". I imagine some sort of inter war lesbian with a pipe!:mellow:

Bought one and fitted one for myself.

Works best if you have a simple layout of straight runs. You need to be really careful what you buy and and have a good idea of limitations of units within given space. I've seen a house with pretty much brand new kitchen, Corian surfaces, the lot, installed to sell the house and the new owners first wish was to replace it. There are only a few basic orientations, straight runs, L and U shaped kitchens and variations thereof so surprising what can be made to fit with a little imagination. Often best to ignore worktop and concentrate on the units - if there are pretty much exactly what you want bargains to be had, just buy new worktops in to finish

Good for seller too as clears the room ready for refit. Bet there are plenty of issues with timing and arrangements, hence why more don't do it. Moving a whole kitchen is not for the faint hearted.

Also big market in ex-demo kitchens, showrooms always rotating their stock, possible chance of recent kitchen still being in stock so you can fill any gaps with new units should you not have the selection of units required - common with ex-demo as only minimal number of units are installed in showrooms.

They could float their business one day - and it could be a global exchange.

Assume 100 kitchens on website, average value £2K. Assume they turnover the whole stock every 3 months.

£800K annual turnover. We'll round that up to £1m. Using a dot com PE ratio 50, we'll base it on turnover rather than profit, as we're using dotcom metrics. 50x £1m = £50m value of the company. If they can scale up globally, we're taking a £1bn-£50bn business! Woohoo!

6 hours ago, dgul said:

I think the point is -- is there an industry out there who has loads of used kitchens that they need to dispose of..?

I'd suggest trying to make friends with a kitchen installer -- they've always got loads of 'used kitchens' on the way to the skip...

On a related note, I do find the concept of fitted kitchens funny.  They make complete sense for a small space -- the traditional galley kitchen really needs to be fitted otherwise you can't fit everything in.  But for a grand kitchen you don't need it to be fitted, and you'd probably have a better 'kitchen experience' with discrete furniture.  Yet it is the largest kitchens in the most expensive houses that have the grandest fitted kitchens.  Odd.

Absoluteley agree on this point.

There is something bizarre about the concept of nailing furniture to the wall so you can not move it.

Apart from the sink unit and some wall cupboards my old Mum does not have a single fitted unit in her kitchen.

All the other storage is in wooden side boards which I have to say are a lot better looking and harder wearing than many modern fitted kitchen units