House Price Crash Forum

Mrs Bear

It's pleasant to come in out of the cold and sit back and relax a bit. Always has been, always will be. Why do we suddenly need a word from another language for it, dress it up as a fad, and use it as an excuse to sell stuff? (this thread is the first I've heard of hygge mind you)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Riedquat said:

It's pleasant to come in out of the cold and sit back and relax a bit. Always has been, always will be. Why do we suddenly need a word from another language for it, dress it up as a fad, and use it as an excuse to sell stuff? (this thread is the first I've heard of hygge mind you)

Exactly. Mindless marketing of niceness and relaxation, which you can do yourself, without tat.

4 hours ago, DTMark said:

It starts by observing my own breathing and then clearing my mind and starting to count backwards from 300 in my head. At that point my mind will wander and I have to put it back on course. Each time it wanders, and I then go back to roughly where I was counting down and carry on from there, the relaxation deepens and everything slows down a bit more.

At a certain point (takes about ten minutes) my active mind almost shuts down completely and it stops wandering. It is thinking absolutely nothing at all. It has stopped. "All the voices have gone" ;)

I have a "frantic" kind of mind which is always "working on something" so it's a great release to be able to switch it off for a while.

I can have "daydreams" in that state, some of which have been profound. Imagine being able to consciously watch a dream and then being able to remember it all afterwards.

It is quite a skill to have to meditate well, good for the mind.....I think it can only be a benefit to people who are able or want to look further into it and give it a try, can only improve over time.;)

On 20/10/2016 at 2:09 PM, Riedquat said:

A lot of Brits are  just suckers for anything with a foreign name.  

I swear that if Brussels sprouts had only just appeared in the shops, and were called brusselliata ( heavy Italian accent please) or whatever else equally foreign sounding, they'd be the latest must-have fad and everybody would be raving about them. 

Archived