House Price Crash Forum

Mrs Bear

I don't know how Swedes get on with Danes, but I've got a fair idea about Swedes/Norwegians. 

Was once watching the news with a Swedish friend where some poor woman was taken ill on a cruise ship in Norwegian waters.  Norwegian rescue services managed to drop her in the icy water as they tried to take her off the ship, and she later died. 

Swedish friend said, 'That's the Norwegians for you - you just can't trust them.'

I'm afraid to say I laughed. 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎16‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 9:24 PM, Frank Hovis said:

candle.gif

anigif_enhanced-buzz-32358-1380796262-4.

You know me too well.

Have a nice hot bath, possibly a hot chocolate, and then lie down on the sofa in the other bedroom, flat on my back, put on a hypnosis recording and leave this often wretched world for half an hour - breathing almost stopped, body and active mind totally inactive. Utter bliss.

On ‎16‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 8:20 AM, spunko2010 said:

But are those 50 quid Jo Malone candles?  if not, it's just not Hygge

The one next to me now (haven't made that up) says Tesco Spiced Berry on it. Smells of nothing at all. But then it was probably only a quid and came with the groceries. Must order some more Yankee ones.

I'll only pay up to about £16 for a candle. I baulk at anything more expensive. Isn't it odd how we value things. There's a box-set on Amazon I'm holding off on until it drops below £15.

I can just see the perfect Hygge-ing family, swathed in cashmere throws, Jo Malone candles. woodburner giving out a soft but cheerful glow, very likely a nice friendly golden retriever curled up in front of it....

...and the whole lot of them glued to their iPhones. 

Not that I'm a horrible cynic or anything. 

14 hours ago, DTMark said:

The one next to me now (haven't made that up) says Tesco Spiced Berry on it. Smells of nothing at all. But then it was probably only a quid and came with the groceries. Must order some more Yankee ones.

I'll only pay up to about £16 for a candle. I baulk at anything more expensive. Isn't it odd how we value things. There's a box-set on Amazon I'm holding off on until it drops below £15.

I am intrigued by the apparently arbitrary precision.

12 minutes ago, MrPin said:

This fad will last as long as Pokemon Go.:huh: It went.

A bit like the Irish bloke who put a johnny on inside-out..?

XYY

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

30 minutes ago, chronyx said:

It's gonna be yuge.

Surely with a "U" in it, that's missing an umlaut..?

;)

XYY

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

11 minutes ago, One-percent said:

That's a shame and I won't be visiting Denmark in a hurry as I like omelettes 

They are something that "Metal" bands put on vowels, as in The Blue Oyster Cult in 1969.

Just now, MrPin said:

They are something that "Metal" bands put on vowels, as in The Blue Oyster Cult in 1969.

Oh, rather like bands round beer barrels then?  At least they serve the purpose of keeping the beer on the inside 

I still wouldn't go,as I like omelettes and wouldn't to visit anywhere that bans them 

9 hours ago, happy_renting said:

I am intrigued by the apparently arbitrary precision.

It's related to the fact that the big Yankee candle jars tend to cost between £19.99 and £21.99 in the posh garden centre down the road, but the same things can be had from Amazon for around £16.

9 hours ago, DTMark said:

It's related to the fact that the big Yankee candle jars tend to cost between £19.99 and £21.99 in the posh garden centre down the road, but the same things can be had from Amazon for around £16.

Presumably the garden centre employs people on legal contracts, allows holidays and pays VAT etc. Although saying that, nowadays it might not.

4 hours ago, hotairmail said:

Isn't that called "going to bed"?

Sort of.

It's like holding yourself on the threshold between being awake and being asleep.

Put another way, a bit like actually observing yourself sleeping. It's intensely relaxing and a weird state to be in.

2 hours ago, DTMark said:

Sort of.

It's like holding yourself on the threshold between being awake and being asleep.

Put another way, a bit like actually observing yourself sleeping. It's intensely relaxing and a weird state to be in.

Do you have a mantra to help stop you drifting off or your mind wandering such as Hugge, Hugge, Hugge?;)

1 minute ago, winkie said:

Do you have a mantra to help stop you drifting off or your mind wandering such as Hugge, Hugge, Hugge?;)

It starts by observing my own breathing and then clearing my mind and starting to count backwards from 300 in my head. At that point my mind will wander and I have to put it back on course. Each time it wanders, and I then go back to roughly where I was counting down and carry on from there, the relaxation deepens and everything slows down a bit more.

At a certain point (takes about ten minutes) my active mind almost shuts down completely and it stops wandering. It is thinking absolutely nothing at all. It has stopped. "All the voices have gone" ;)

I have a "frantic" kind of mind which is always "working on something" so it's a great release to be able to switch it off for a while.

I can have "daydreams" in that state, some of which have been profound. Imagine being able to consciously watch a dream and then being able to remember it all afterwards.

Archived