House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DTMark

TV show opening titles

I think this will always be my #1.

Ed's music, that sequence - 10 out of 10.

Since then, I think that only this has come close. It's such a shame I can't get into the series, but the titles are first-rate.

And this needs a special mention. I don't put it as high because the graphics aren't in the same class until you get to the Sylvester McCoy era which is where they got it spot on. (Time index 05:46)

However the context is important. The music and the sequence from the 1960s don't seem that special now, but they were truly ground-breaking back then.

This actually brings a tear to my eye.

Yours..?

'Hans from Switzerland, thank you for embarrassing us with your superior general knowledge answered in your second language, Barry from England, you're playing catch up.'

The composer of this intro is a good pub bore fact - that probably is the problem these days I don't think so much of the top talent does TV stuff or there's not new talent coming through. I might watch Pointless if they got John Williams to do the intro.

The top youtube comment - lol

I remember when I was about 14 years old and off school. I was having a w@nk and was cumming just as this theme tune came on. it's stuck with me ever since

I began watching Game Of Thrones for the first time this week. I found it interesting that there seems to be a nake woman, or a naked group of women, about every 5 or 6 minutes. The sexual themes are also very interesting - lots of mention of r*pe, gang-r*pe and female bisexuality. Makes you wonder why it is so popular amongst women as well as men.

The Flashing Blade had such a great opening that I used to rush to watch it. But I had no idea what the series was about.

Crikey, those are ancient, Mr Nicey.:o

2 hours ago, MrPin said:

Crikey, those are ancient, Mr Nicey.:o

Ancient - but still mighty fine...!

Lew Grade didn't seem to spare any cash when it comes to titles and theme tunes...

XYY

Aye, they were right crap series, Mr XYY.

8 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Aye, they were right crap series, Mr XYY.

I would've thought that an old-fogie like you Pinny would've loved anything made in colour..i ;)

Here's one from your era that managed to survive into mine - in glorious monochrome...!

Thankfully The Banana Splits were on straight after Casey Jones on a Saturday morning...

;)

XYY

16 hours ago, mattydread said:

Great tune & great as a teenager to give posh Anneka the 5 finger shuffle

Another of my all-time favourite intros and shows. The episode where the helicopter lands on the (surfaced) submarine was something really special.

Most of the old episodes were transcribed from VHS and uploaded to YouTube by someone and we were able to relive many of the moments.

Did you know..

The original run of the first series was watched by up to 900,000 viewers; however, by the mid-1980s, ratings were some of the highest for Channel 4 at around seven million.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treasure_Hunt_(UK_game_show

This one has all the versions of the theme. That show was such a piece of work.

One more thing... the show has been brought back to life, and the shows with Dermot and Suzi are worth watching - a surprisingly faithful modern update albeit, sadly, without that theme. Why change it..

5 hours ago, Dave Beans said:

That's a corker I'd totally forgotten about.

Here's another.

Dare I confess that this was one of my favourite shows back then..

Now, how do you go about updating such a classic tune and show, and get it so very right..

Musically, I think this may be as good as it gets.

The superb David Lowe, who also did the themes for, IIRC, Casualty, Grand Designs and others.

I think that is one utterly superb piece of music. When it rolls, I have this moment where I "feel proud to be British".

Funnily enough the visuals have got worse as the years have progressed. Predictable shots of reporters tapping things into their mobiles.

Here's the second version of this tune (I think we're onto version 4 now) with wonderful visuals based around time and movement and a trance sound as befits the earlier period before it went all classically instrumental.

Rather than go back and re-quote many of the posts, to the chagrin of people with latent and slow internet connections that struggle to load the page when there are lots of videos, let me just say thanks, there are some really excellent picks here and I've been reliving moments and finding new things. Thanks.

11 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Is it the music that many of you are going for rather than the opening title sequence? Did we not have several opening title music threads befoore where most of these were listed?

For me, it's the coming together of both.

It's the 30 seconds or so at the start of the show which builds expectation and I think it takes a certain amount of genius to get the music and the sequence just right.

Arguably, the camera trickery and the music in the 1963 Doctor Who sequence is the most ground-breaking thing in the thread. But that requires context. The audio and the visuals genuinely scared people. The title sequence was very nearly changed, all but for the doggedness and persistence of the wonderful Verity Lambert, the show's producer, to something more mainstream and ordinary for fear that it would scare people and that it was "weird".

The sequence was created with camera feedback. It's not that dynamic, really, but in the day, it was new. What really impresses me is when the audio and visuals come together, as in "Blockbusters" and "Game of Thrones". Real team skill.

As opposed to just audio. I used to love BBC Radio 1's jingle packages which were created by an American company called Jam Creative, who get rather upset when their material gets onto YouTube, so this is "unlisted" but will sound very familiar to people.

I suppose you could say "the theme to my life" - those little snippets of things that somehow transcend their 30 second outing and make an impact in themselves.