House Price Crash Forum

Tech bubble to burst in 2017

davidg

HOLA441
HOLA442

2016 was the year the Oil & Gas bubble popped 2017 will be IT, the article is already out of date as you can add Fujitsu with 16400 globally, 1800 of those in the UK.

It appears also that oversupply of chips and the telecoms market tanking especially in the handset market is also a problem.

Looks like the shiny, shiny effect of the latest handsets is wearing off as folks get bored of them and their over inflated prices and lifestyle promises.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
6 minutes ago, davidg said:

They say IBM will fire 40% of its workforce, not sure that IBM is full of bearded hypsters.

These big old tech companies are no longer safe.

HOLA447
HOLA448
4 minutes ago, MrPin said:

These big old tech companies are no longer safe.

Words out of my mouth.

The industry has changed in two ways for them. 

1) Bleeding business to other smaller competitors.

2) What services they used to offer are just gradually drying up and not needed anymore. Smaller firms are becoming more self reliant than having to turn to these huge tech giants anymore. 

Having worked for an old behemoth before the money/sales men were in charge, replacing the IT men who originally built them. I think it's a problem common for tech companies that made it to the stock markets. The money men are great at looking at cost savings and off shoring jobs but as they aren't tech savvy have no idea of the future of IT and changing trends. 

I suspect there is a bubble that will burst but calling it the death of the IT sector is a bit extreme. Its more just a clear out of the garbage. 

HOLA449
29 minutes ago, davidg said:

The company where I work we currently have to rate our Indian developers, every week up to Christmas the bottom rated developer gets fired. I'm not very comfortable about it, has echoes of colonialism about it.

That's and interesting way of doing it!!  But if you can fire one developer a week, (depending on the project) maybe there are too many developers!!

Personally I would start of firing people in non jobs, which is a fair amount in IT.

I am currently on a project with a massive budget, it seems to have an abundance of people with not very meaningful job titles, but when you look at the number of people who have the technical knowledge to do something when reality bites, it is shockingly small.

HOLA4410
2 minutes ago, reddog said:

That's and interesting way of doing it!!  But if you can fire one developer a week, (depending on the project) maybe there are too many developers!!

Personally I would start of firing people in non jobs, which is a fair amount in IT.

I am currently on a project with a massive budget, it seems to have an abundance of people with not very meaningful job titles, but when you look at the number of people who have the technical knowledge to do something when reality bites, it is shockingly small.

Work in Engineering building process plants and it is exactly the same, littered with people with grand titles talking jobs up and eschewing costs and programmes with a handful of people who know what they are doing being constantly distracted by graduates who think they know everything and won't admit that they don't.

We even had one who was on his year in industry before graduation who wanted to do enough work to get chartered as soon as he graduated.

The sad reality is that a small number of people could actually do most jobs to a better standard if they werent continually harrassed and distracted by excessive pointless management and over qualified wastrels.

HOLA4411
1 minute ago, ChewingGrass said:

Work in Engineering building process plants and it is exactly the same, littered with people with grand titles talking jobs up and eschewing costs and programmes with a handful of people who know what they are doing being constantly distracted by graduates who think they know everything and won't admit that they don't.

We even had one who was on his year in industry before graduation who wanted to do enough work to get chartered as soon as he graduated.

The sad reality is that a small number of people could actually do most jobs to a better standard if they werent continually harrassed and distracted by excessive pointless management and over qualified wastrels.

The old trick of promoting the sh1t people to a level where they can't damage the basic process still goes on...

HOLA4412

Blessed are the non-workers, for they know not what they don't know, and are happy in their ignorance. :o May their ties be covered in soup and egg.:huh:

HOLA4413

Top tip, if you find yourself struggling with the grind of normal IT roles and you are a bit of extravert with good communications skills do look at moving into sales. It can be tough, but you will be paid more and the rollercoaster can be fun. You get mentally busy periods, but then equally you can take days out from the grind and whilst some soclalise with business partners and customers, others just work from home and have the odd light day just doing a few hours work.   The trick with sales is to be like an apex predator - you need to conserve energy when there is nothing needing action, but then to break into a sprint when you need to.  Its is far more fun than doing work that is a daily grind.

HOLA4414

Although I started with VB4 and Windows Forms programming I soon moved into internet related development and I've been providing development and consulting to UK based clients for many years.

I can't honestly say that I have lost any significant work to outsourcing abroad.

I do have one client who asked a company in India to redesign their website. The mock-up was OK, not what I'd have gone with. However when the client attempted to communicate with them and have them modify it, it was quickly apparent that they simply could not speak English well nor follow simple instructions.

Nothing to do with competence, everything to do with the language barrier.

We took it on, further developed it, and then created the adaptive HTML + CSS + JS and hooked it all in.

Said company also quoted for a social media marketing campaign. The client asked me about this. I simply said that if they aren't able to speak good English I'd strongly advise against letting them loose on your social media feeds. I think we're going to be taking that on.

I can see that the market for Windows Forms developers is dying, things have changed so much.

However consulting does not cross language and cultural barriers very well.

I can see that "programmers" might have issues, but "consulting" as a wider topic - lets talk business, what is going to make you money - we should pursue this - isn't something that I can see being readily outsourced abroad.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
12 hours ago, reddog said:

The accountants wanted to cut 1 European developer (he's gone, fired by senior management for poor English skills and not being "proactive" enough) and 5 Indians who are the ones who will go up to Christmas based on the ratings from code reviews. It is all very Alan Sugar.

HOLA4417
12 hours ago, reddog said:

We've got loads of these (large FMCGs company), usually come in from the graduate scheme...

Archived