House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Saving For a Space Ship

Google's @sidewalklabs launches venture in manufactured housing for global urban affordability

We think housing should be built like cars. And we're hiring an EIR to take our work to the next level: https://boards.greenhouse.io/sidewalklabs/jobs/481362?gh_src=ycbkm61#.V__ETZMrJE6 

We think houses can and should be built like cars. By controlling the full lifecycle of the product from design to delivery, we believe we can significantly decrease costs while improving unit flexibility and the home experience. We are seeking an entrepreneur-in-residence to lead Sidewalk Labs’ bet on manufactured housing as an innovative solution to urban affordability.

We have a small team that has done significant work understanding the space, generating a number of hypotheses and building prototypes to test our ideas. We are looking for a leader who will pull the different pieces together, establish a vision, and drive towards the next proof point or failure.

The Build Lab EIR will leverage Sidewalk Labs’ urban innovation platform, including policy and technology expertise, patient capital, and our extensive network. The EIR will receive full P&L responsibility to lead the team towards an executable business, with the intention of assuming the role of CEO with a significant equity stake upon spin-out.

If they can make or acquire land using a factory / lab they we are in business.

If not, this is essentially just the same thing the Germans and Scandinavians have been doing for decades - high quality prefabs.

I like Google/Alphabet, but they are a bit vainglorious when it comes to their projects.

22 hours ago, Futuroid said:

If they can make or acquire land using a factory / lab they we are in business.

If not, this is essentially just the same thing the Germans and Scandinavians have been doing for decades - high quality prefabs.

I like Google/Alphabet, but they are a bit vainglorious when it comes to their projects.

Quite. They act like nobody has ever thought of it before.

They might execute it better, in the same way what search/advertising did to altavista et al.. and what android & others did to Blackberry/Nokia. I also don't think the US has the same land restrictions as the UK but it will be interesting to see if it does become successful.

https://techcrunch.com/2016/07/02/technology-will-change-where-we-live/

Self employed I can work anywhere. Some others in my field don't do 1-1 and use only Skype. The online aspect of my business needs an internet connection regardless of location. 

Google may not be able to create land but if they can reduce the locational aspect of work (which seems more likely for the relatively well paid and growing tech sector) then all the better.

Some of our management went on a jolly to Google in London. Apparently Google told them five years from now all employees would be mobile, no more commuting to offices. Hard to believe but when Google say something outlandish I've learnt to take it seriously. I remember disbelieving their stated objective to manage all human knowledge or something like that; nobody's laughing now. 

4 hours ago, Funn3r said:

Some of our management went on a jolly to Google in London. Apparently Google told them five years from now all employees would be mobile, no more commuting to offices. Hard to believe but when Google say something outlandish I've learnt to take it seriously. I remember disbelieving their stated objective to manage all human knowledge or something like that; nobody's laughing now. 

"housing for global urban affordability"  can only be achieved in civilisation as we know it, when everyone and all companies are paying their taxes....and property money laundering in cities such as London is quelled

Before proceeding with other theories these basics have to be in place.....:rolleyes:

10 hours ago, Saving For a Space Ship said:

IMG_1262.jpg

:lol: That ties in with my impression of Google - the only stuff that sticks is related to advertising / data acquisition.

Hardly surprising I guess since that brings in $74 billion a year.

11 hours ago, Funn3r said:

Google Glass, Google Wave, Jaiku, Google Plus, Google Buzz... All trumped with a fanfare as the next big thing.

Ok, so Google Plus was the next tiny little thing, but the world is littered with Google failures (they have four different messaging apps for Android). Nowt wrong with that, you need to fail in order to succeed, but the majority of the stuff Google gets involved with doesn't work out.

On the telecommuting front, there are already companies with no physical office - I run one, albeit with only 4 staff. There are larger "virtual" companies mostly in the US, some with upwards of 300 employees. This is usually in the technology niche (like Google) where there are few barriers and you are dealing with motivated people. 

Humans crave companionship and are social animals so I wouldn't expect city centres to die away anytime soon.

10 minutes ago, Futuroid said:

Google Glass, Google Wave, Jaiku, Google Plus, Google Buzz... All trumped with a fanfare as the next big thing.

Ok, so Google Plus was the next tiny little thing, but the world is littered with Google failures (they have four different messaging apps for Android). Nowt wrong with that, you need to fail in order to succeed, but the majority of the stuff Google gets involved with doesn't work out.

On the telecommuting front, there are already companies with no physical office - I run one, albeit with only 4 staff. There are larger "virtual" companies mostly in the US, some with upwards of 300 employees. This is usually in the technology niche (like Google) where there are few barriers and you are dealing with motivated people. 

Humans crave companionship and are social animals so I wouldn't expect city centres to die away anytime soon.

Google Shopping is another project that never really took flight.

I wouldn't call these things failures, exactly.  It's just that Google never actually follow through with anything.  In their heads they remain a perpetual start-up.

Google's greatest achievements were Maps and Translate.  That was some time ago, and makes it look like Google might become carbonised and unable to evolve.  It happens with most companies in the end.