House Price Crash Forum

New £5 note features

HOLA441

OK. So yesterday I get my hands on one of the new plastic £5 notes for the first time. After the, unsurprising, initial period of reflecting on its monopoly money child like size - a further symbolic representation of the diminishing value of our cash.......I noted the clever features in it.

One such is the face portraits oriented in one direction on one side and, when turning the note over, said portraits now oriented  the other way.  In particular the quuens head on the small transparent section on left hand side.

My immediate reaction is "that's neat" and then spending hours scratching my head to work out how it's done.

Someone put me out of my misery and tell me or point me to a website that explains the technology behind it.  Thanks

I should add that it seems odd to me to introduce such high tech anti-counterfeiting measures on a note that no one bother to counterfeit, on account of its relatively piddly value - as well as one that is likely next in line to be replaced by a coin, as was the £1 note.

Surely it would have made more sense to introduce these measures on to the £20 or even £50 note first?

Edited by anonguest

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

I just this second used one to pay for my crisps (tea is of course free) in waitrose. 'You're the first one to actually pay for something with one - everyone else is hoarding them!

If only that was the case with cash in general in the populace at large.

Edited by Frugal Git

HOLA449
HOLA4410
27 minutes ago, Si1 said:

Apparently whilst they survive washing machines very well, tumble drying them makes them into toytown money

With the current, and anticipated, rate of decline in their purchasing value I suspect that they will be de facto toytown money before too long.

That aside.....I still can't figure out how they achieve the clever face orientation 'trick' on both sides (applies for the Churchill portrait too, if you hold it up to the light)

HOLA4411
36 minutes ago, anonguest said:

With the current, and anticipated, rate of decline in their purchasing value I suspect that they will be de facto toytown money before too long.

That aside.....I still can't figure out how they achieve the clever face orientation 'trick' on both sides (applies for the Churchill portrait too, if you hold it up to the light)

I don't see a clever face trick. It's just a picture of the Queen that you can see from either side. Her hair switches sides as it should when looking back to front, if it were a trick her hair would stay on one side? The Bank of England text and pound sign, is correct on the front but backwards on the bank, so no trick there either.

HOLA4412

The most notable feature is that they are so slippery they work their way out of your pocket with incredible ease so you don't get a chance to spend them.  

You lose them and somebody else gets to spend them.  A slippery slimy idea to put people off paper money and to help to encourage digital money.

They're awful and one can only hope they don't extend the awful idea to other notes.

Edited by billybong

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
10 hours ago, Democorruptcy said:

I don't see a clever face trick. It's just a picture of the Queen that you can see from either side. Her hair switches sides as it should when looking back to front, if it were a trick her hair would stay on one side? The Bank of England text and pound sign, is correct on the front but backwards on the bank, so no trick there either.

Yes. I haven't a clue what the OP means.

HOLA4415
2 minutes ago, the gardener said:

Yes. I haven't a clue what the OP means.

A senior moment i think.

We all have them..... My door handle when i'm inside the house is on the left, but when I go outside it's on the right. What is this door handle magic and how does it work?

HOLA4416
5 hours ago, XswampyX said:

A senior moment i think.

We all have them..... My door handle when i'm inside the house is on the left, but when I go outside it's on the right. What is this door handle magic and how does it work?

Do you think this might be the OP

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=woman+petrol+station&view=detail&mid=B1CFB182A147E9F09497B1CFB182A147E9F09497&FORM=VIRE

HOLA4417
On 14/10/2016 at 11:31 AM, Futuroid said:

They did the £5 first because old style fivers have such a short life (they fall to bits within around 6 months of printing IIRC) banks are reluctant to put them in cash machines.

One of my 'spoons customers begged me not to give him any more new fivers in change as he is hoarding them. Some people have no self control :lol:

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
45 minutes ago, council dweller said:

Long Tom......you should have taken it as a tip....`well, I`ll take it off your hands`.

I tested one in Aldi, screwed it up and stuffed it in my pocket. Got home , remembered the note, pulled it out  and it was just about perfect

Perfect for columbian marching powder - a wipe clean surface.

HOLA4420

Owning a retail business, I've had loads. Not a massive fan TBH as the UV security features are crap IMO, especially as the plastic material means there's no watermarking as per the paper notes (presume the other features are meant to replace this) - hopefully these will be better on the higher denomination notes to follow. 

They do not like heat - some idiot tried to pay with one that he'd tried to set fire to (one corner melted) & got the hump when I refused it & they do tear....although they repair with sellotape as easily as paper notes. 

Edited by Motor_Blade
Typo

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
On 14/10/2016 at 1:23 PM, Frugal Git said:

I just this second used one to pay for my crisps (tea is of course free) in waitrose. 'You're the first one to actually pay for something with one - everyone else is hoarding them!

If only that was the case with cash in general in the populace at large.

I went into 3 different shops yesterday and all of them gave me a pile of £1 coins in change, saying they had no five pound notes in the till at all,  as people were hoarding them!

What for? Do they think they are going to be worth more if they hoard them?  I have just been using any I have as I go along.

But having lived in Oz for a number of years, plastic monetary notes are not a novelty to me.

HOLA4423