House Price Crash Forum

End of traditional IT departments, more white collar job losses on the way

2 minutes ago, Futuroid said:

That and the fact that Facebook doesn't go down for a month. 

If it does goes down for an hour it makes the news!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2927847/Facebook-Instagram-worldwide-hack.html

This is probably because it's so crap and piddly. And has 1.1 billion daily users.

The font end is crap and piddly.

The cost of having a crap and piddly frontend is refelcted on the expense of the back end - lots of OTT replication, large number of servers to keep an inefficient macro language server pages.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, spyguy said:

Ive (too) personally experienced the full horrors of offshourced development. This was core software, not the accounts or something.

Ive also had the indirect exposure of business process outsourcing i.e. phone and backend processes - mainly manual paperwork and checking. That was even worse than the development. The compnay was promised 100 English speaking graduates. They got 50 illiterates.

The whole Indian thing is a dead flush now.

5 years ago, most UK people would associate Indians with curry and hot country.

Now its phone scams and fraud. Non of my older relatives will speak to a person with an Indian accent on the phone.

The fact that India has failed to crack down on the scamster gives you a good idea of the Indian means of working.

My problem is not with India or any particular country as such. We had an offshore Indian development and support team and they were brilliant. We had Australian contractors who were also good.

The problem is with outsourcing model. Often development is outsourced and external contractors (onsite/offsite) are out as soon as first version is handed over.  There may be no training, no or limited warranty time and inadequate documentation or training. It is very stressful for existing permanent employees to chip in and take over support as it will be peak support time.

Edited by Fairyland
2 minutes ago, Oliver Sutton said:

Wikipedia uses PHP as well.

Don't see much of that around anymore.

:lol::lol::lol:

Yeah. Wikipedia is always falling over. I think it went down for an hour in 2012, probably cos nobody uses it.

Oh yeah and WordPress accounts for 25% of the sites on the internet and it runs on PHP (http://marketingland.com/wordpress-used-on-25-percent-of-all-websites-report-151115).

Now its phone scams and fraud. Non of my older relatives will speak to a person with an Indian accent on the phone.

The fact that India has failed to crack down on the scamster gives you a good idea of the Indian means of working.

My wife is British Indian, she won't speak to or deal with anyone with an Indian accent. Similarly she won't work for or deal with any Indian managed companies - she's not the only one I know like that either.

2 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Wikipedia and Wordpress are pretty static sites. Sort of what PHP was designed for - a bit of macro replacement on a static resource.

WordPress is a platform (and confusingly a website - wordpress.com). Essentially it's a lightweight CMS with a lot of hooks so you can extend it.

It's not static at all, the responses are data from a database merged with HTML, etc. You wouldn't put your key business logic in WordPress, but then we are talking about web-based (i.e. on the public internet) systems here, they are all simply front ends. Some with customer self-service, some with a few extra features.

On ‎14‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 5:19 PM, CentrinoDuo said:

Yea what a crock sh*t that Cloud is. No one would be foolish enough to use it. It's so crap that it's on track to generate some $10bn for Amazon this year. 

I said term was a crock of sh*t, pretentious, not the concept. If you read my post (which you clearly can't have done) I pointed out its a pretentious term for the same old sh1t, as has been pointed out on here already. Try reading posts properly before trying to look clever.

Edited by wsn03
4 hours ago, Futuroid said:

Yeah. Wikipedia is always falling over. I think it went down for an hour in 2012, probably cos nobody uses it.

Oh yeah and WordPress accounts for 25% of the sites on the internet and it runs on PHP (http://marketingland.com/wordpress-used-on-25-percent-of-all-websites-report-151115).

The fact that all you can point to for PHP are Wikipedia and blogs merely reiterates our point. People don't use PHP for important software.

Nor do you have to look hard to find articles online explaining why you'd be mad to do so.

Edited by MarkG
1 hour ago, MarkG said:

The fact that all you can point to for PHP are Wikipedia and blogs merely reiterates our point. People don't use PHP for important software.

Nor do you have to look hard to find articles online explaining why you'd be mad to do so.

Did you forget Facebook? I bet their valuation is higher than yours...

8 hours ago, Greg Bowman said:

:P You do have a point !! Have you tried rebooting your system caller!

One of the IT guys at work is the most pedantic "jobs worth" I have ever met - and gets paid a fortune for pressing ctrl-alt-delete, and never stops telling you how clever he is and how dumb everyone else is.

His latest wheeze is to replace all the white network patch-cables running to-and-from the switching cabinets to colour-coded ones - yellow ones for computer data, and blue for the phones. This is costing a small fortune for the new leads, and his overtime of course...!

I have to fix faults on my machines on the shop-floor - and whenever I suspect a network issue, I take great delight using the wrong colour leads to diagnose the problem before I call him down and watch that vein in his temple pulsate..!

Childish of me I know...

;)

XYY

Edited by The XYY Man
4 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

One of the IT guys at work is the most pedantic "jobs worth" I have ever met - and gets paid a fortune for pressing ctrl-alt-delete, and never stops telling you how clever he is and how dumb everyone else is.

His latest wheeze is to replace all the white network patch-cables running to-and-from the switching cabinets to colour-coded ones - yellow ones for computer data, and blue for the phones. This is costing a small fortune for the new leads, and his overtime of course...!

I have to fix faults on my machines on the shop-floor - and whenever I suspect a network issue, I take great delight using the wrong colour leads to diagnose the problem before I call him down and watch that vein in his temple pulsate..!

Childish of me I know...

;)

XYY

You should talk to him and get Star Wars mixed up with Star Trek.

I did that once, unitentionally. Dead good fun

21 hours ago, MarkG said:

Bingo. Most managers don't care about the long term, because they expect to be in a new job well before that happens.

Another problem in the IT world is that Microsoft is turning Windows into an unreliable pile of crap with their new 'let's throw out some new features and fix them later' mindset. Companies that have based their IT strategy around Windows should be getting pretty scared by now.

What do you mean ".. turning Windows into an unreliable pile of crap .."?  It has pretty much always been an unreliable pile of crap at an enterprise level.  It's just a desktop OS that got turned into an enterprise one because of the popularity on the desktop and the gobs of money MS were making off of desktop software.

It's still pretty decent as a desktop OS though, except that for businesses MS are now making it a nightmare with ever more byzantine licensing and messing around with the feature set.  Great for playing games on your home PC however!

45 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Childish of me I know...

;)

XYY

Oh god they are the worst!

Used to work with a team leader for a small dev team - if he didn't come up with the idea for the code or it was code from before his time it was automatically 'rubbish' and written by idiots.

He's since moved on to another company to manage an even bigger team of 12 devs.  God help them!

1 hour ago, The XYY Man said:

Childish of me I know...

;)

XYY

Here he is.

Love the way although he's very geeky he comes out with a very perceptive comment at the end.

1 hour ago, Sour Mash said:

What do you mean ".. turning Windows into an unreliable pile of crap .."?  It has pretty much always been an unreliable pile of crap at an enterprise level.  It's just a desktop OS that got turned into an enterprise one because of the popularity on the desktop and the gobs of money MS were making off of desktop software.

It's still pretty decent as a desktop OS though, except that for businesses MS are now making it a nightmare with ever more byzantine licensing and messing around with the feature set.  Great for playing games on your home PC however!

For its time Windows 2000 was the best server OS going.

Then the interweb ramped up, and the shortcomings in MSes security model was discovered pretty quickly.

I used to indist that if i had to run windows it had to be the server variant. Now Windows server is horrendously expensive. Core orucing mesns whatever high sticker you think it is, its always higher.

Im actively design Windows out of my infrastructure. Before i was ok just letting it die. Now im drowning stuffinbuckets.

Bootstrap/postgresql/python3

26 minutes ago, davidg said:

>

> Love the way although he's very geeky he comes out with a very perceptive comment at the end.

Just for me, as I've never seen The Office, can you give me the background to that.

The Martin Freeman character had a thing going with the receptionist Dawn but started playing around with the other girl. 

4 hours ago, davidg said:

IBM is now an incompetent bureaucracy, rather like the Government, though unlike Government at least it is getting smaller and eventually going away. 

It bleats some buzzword technologies every now and then, but in essence it just keeps shrinking. They cut costs (headcount) in order to keep profit  up against a shrinking revenue backdrop, but this then reduces sales and delivery capacity, so revenue falls again and the cycle repeats. This has been going on for a decade - and is part of the reason I'd never trust IBM to reliably deliver on a contract.