Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

The price of stuff

Recommended Posts

Lots of stories about at the moment about the price of unilever stuff, tesco, and now a marmite story.

Do we make nothing in the UK? Do we import so much stuff that this is a problem?

If we only bought british produce would this problem be solved or are companies just taking the piss?

 



 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The question is Sarah, do we actually make anything anymore?  Afaict factories have been shut and production offshore. We know this has happened with manufacturing, but food? Guess so from this story 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SarahBell said:

Lots of stories about at the moment about the price of unilever stuff, tesco, and now a marmite story.

Do we make nothing in the UK? Do we import so much stuff that this is a problem?

If we only bought british produce would this problem be solved or are companies just taking the piss?

 



 

Does it matter where stuff is produced if supply chain efficiency makes demand effectively global?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Does it matter where stuff is produced if supply chain efficiency makes demand effectively global?

Only when they stick the prices up for us. 

Oh and if jobs and food security in the UK bother you at all.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SarahBell said:

Only when they stick the prices up for us. 

Oh and if jobs and food security in the UK bother you at all.

 

I meant in terms of pricing specifically. Clearly there are health, security, environmental and economic benefits to food production being located closer to the end consumer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because of the way our economy is structured I don't think we can "afford" to make our own food.

The cost of living is just way too high.

One end of the debt-based economy is not compatible with the other end - low wage workers who cannot generate sufficient surplus cash to participate in the debt bonanza.

This can be ignored until it reaches a breaking point, which is where we're fast approaching. The Brexit vote now has fruit growers terrified that they might have to actually employ British people on higher wages to get the supply of workers that they need.

The result of this being that if they have already agreed sales to supermarkets at certain prices then they'll be bankrupt shortly, and if they haven't, they won't be able to sell at a profit now.

In the meantime, a sense of entitlement and benefits culture has become inter-generational now to the extent that the logical answer, which is that people work for their money rather than giving them handouts - and so the logical course of action - row back on benefits - is now political suicide because work won't pay.

The use of a debt-based monetary system, short-term political expediency, long-term political idiocy, the effects of globalisation and the practice of using the Welfare State to buy votes is going to create a perfect storm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if Unilever went so hard on the Remain vote because they wanted to outsource Marmite production to Poland...?

Bearing in mind that Marmite is made using British yeast and is manufactured in the UK I can't see what commodities have risen by 10% for them to justify this. I hope it backfires on them. I went right off them when they started politicising the Referendum on their Ben & Jerrys twitter account - you make ice cream, do pess orf.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would have thought that the ingredients cost of most foodstuffs is about 20%. The balance being wages, factories, overheads etc etc. Even if 100% of the ingredients are imported, a 10% fall in value of sterling should only give rise to a 2% increase in costs. 

A pet hate is when a supplier tells me their raw materials have gone up 10% therefore their price is going up 10%. It is just profiteering.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

I wonder if Unilever went so hard on the Remain vote because they wanted to outsource Marmite production to Poland...?

Bearing in mind that Marmite is made using British yeast and is manufactured in the UK I can't see what commodities have risen by 10% for them to justify this. I hope it backfires on them. I went right off them when they started politicising the Referendum on their Ben & Jerrys twitter account - you make ice cream, do pess orf.

 

Unilever have taken a broad-brush to a large basket of supplied goods. I'm sure there are a range of price increases, +/- 10%.

It should also be noted that fuel costs, and therefore transportation costs, are slowly rising.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am wondering if they are going to attack the pound to stop Brexit and try an hit the economy and force inflation on us.

They can't have us leave and make a success of it can they?

Might as well print as many euros as it takes, sell pounds through singapore etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, AThirdWay said:

Unilever have taken a broad-brush to a large basket of supplied goods. I'm sure there are a range of price increases, +/- 10%.

It should also be noted that fuel costs, and therefore transportation costs, are slowly rising.

While true, don't remember goods getting cheaper last year when the oil price collapsed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still think Britain will be the last country in the EU, still arguing about whether or not to stay after all the other countries have left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AThirdWay said:

Unilever have taken a broad-brush to a large basket of supplied goods. I'm sure there are a range of price increases, +/- 10%.

It should also be noted that fuel costs, and therefore transportation costs, are slowly rising.

This is because Saudi and Russia have come to an agreement to limit production so oil has risen from sub $30 to $52 since January this year; so not far off doubling in ten months..

Maybe this is because of Brexit too?  (I know you're not saying that, but the BBC will).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just had an email from Ocado saying that from November my smartpass  is going up by 75% from £3.99 to £6.99 per month. I guess that can be blamed on Brexit as well (anticipating a lack of cheap Polish drivers?) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, SarahBell said:

As even the BBC isn't overly pushing this I presume that they are just wasting their money. Good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've noticed that the stuff sold to pensioners is a significant percentage more that other stuff: mobility scooters, bath lifts, compression socks to name a few examples. 

I keep trying to warn my 90-year-old mother that she shouldn't buy from the many booklets that come through the post to her. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never before in history do we have so many choices and things to buy.....not that we need them all but it does promote healthy competition for our pound in our pockets......the strongest will survive, and we will survive shopping/consuming, doing things differently.;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bossybabe said:

I've noticed that the stuff sold to pensioners is a significant percentage more that other stuff: mobility scooters, bath lifts, compression socks to name a few examples. 

I keep trying to warn my 90-year-old mother that she shouldn't buy from the many booklets that come through the post to her. 

Yes, being in that age group I reckon that the vendors who target OAPs reckon that they have gone gaga and will pay silly prices for anything. Saga usually are twice the price for car insurance as I end up paying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, DTMark said:

I recall the last time I baulked and then laughed at the price of something.

This.

LN_763035_BP_10.jpg

http://www.waitrose.com/shop/DisplayProductFlyout?productId=108498

Macaroni cheese.

Seven pounds. For macaroni cheese. FFS, even I could cook that. Though I could probably make something better for £7.

It has a pound off at the moment.

Macaroni Pasta (37%) (Water, Durum Wheat Semolina), Fresh Semi-Skimmed Milk, Cheddar Cheese (Milk), Fresh Single Cream (Milk), Mozzarella Cheese (Milk), White Wine, Smoked Pancetta Lardons (Pork, Salt, Dextrose, Glucose Syrup, Antioxidant Sodium Ascorbate*, Preservatives: Potassium Nitrate and Sodium Nitrite*, Flavourings (Onion, Pepper, Juniper, Laurel), Garlic Powder), Ciabatta (Wheat Flour, Sunflower Oil, Olive Oil, Yeast, Salt), Regato Cheese (Milk), Butter (Milk), Wheat Flour, Grana Padano Cheese (with Egg Lysozyme**) (Milk),Mustard Powder, Salt, Sunflower Oil, Cornflour, Fresh Parsley, Black Pepper, Nutmeg, Rosemary, White Pepper, *Don't worry, these are part of the traditional curing method of Smoked Pancetta Lardons, **Don't worry, this is a traditional Ingredient of Grana Padano Cheese

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SarahBell said:

Macaroni Pasta (37%) (Water, Durum Wheat Semolina), Fresh Semi-Skimmed Milk, Cheddar Cheese (Milk), Fresh Single Cream (Milk), Mozzarella Cheese (Milk), White Wine, Smoked Pancetta Lardons (Pork, Salt, Dextrose, Glucose Syrup, Antioxidant Sodium Ascorbate*, Preservatives: Potassium Nitrate and Sodium Nitrite*, Flavourings (Onion, Pepper, Juniper, Laurel), Garlic Powder), Ciabatta (Wheat Flour, Sunflower Oil, Olive Oil, Yeast, Salt), Regato Cheese (Milk), Butter (Milk), Wheat Flour, Grana Padano Cheese (with Egg Lysozyme**) (Milk),Mustard Powder, Salt, Sunflower Oil, Cornflour, Fresh Parsley, Black Pepper, Nutmeg, Rosemary, White Pepper, *Don't worry, these are part of the traditional curing method of Smoked Pancetta Lardons, **Don't worry, this is a traditional Ingredient of Grana Padano Cheese

 

Er, it has pork in it?

Cue Catherine Tate's "Northern Couple":

"Pork? In macaroni cheese? The dirty, evil b****ds"

I cooked a vegetable and cauliflower bake the other day. I suspect I've only ever eaten cauliflower in packet meals in the past. Absolutely stunning.

My cooking, the start of which was proudly and prominently announced on here some months ago, has been coming along nicely, and I've only managed to slice three of my fingers so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, DTMark said:

I recall the last time I baulked and then laughed at the price of something.

This.

LN_763035_BP_10.jpg

http://www.waitrose.com/shop/DisplayProductFlyout?productId=108498

Macaroni cheese.

Seven pounds. For macaroni cheese. FFS, even I could cook that. Though I could probably make something better for £7.

It has a pound off at the moment.

You could cook macaroni cheese for about 30 people for seven quid!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • The Prime Minister stated that there were three Brexit options available to the UK:   100 members have voted

    1. 1. Which of the Prime Minister's options would you choose?


      • Leave with the negotiated deal
      • Remain
      • Leave with no deal

    Please sign in or register to vote in this poll. View topic


×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.