House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Crowdfunding - the new online begging

I keep reading about this and have (fortunately limited) experience about it coming to me.

I've seen several cases of people doing it for funerals.  Now yes funerals are expensive (it's not something you shop around for) but there was a long tradition of people, however poor, providing for their own funeral with Co-Op stamps or insurance as it's a certainty and they don't want either to be a burden or to have a pauper's funeral.  Now many have made zero provision and the response is "Crowdfund it".

Then you have kids going on ludicrously expensive and distant sports tours.  I see this as a total jolly for them and the teacher and don't see why I should be paying for it (see also the adult versions: walking the great wall of China, climbing Kilimanjaro, parachute jump, tour of the Andes).  This used to be funded by their parents holding coffee morning, sponsored events etc.  I didn't contribute to those if I could help it as I saw it as a deeply unworthy cause but at least they were doing something.  Now it's just "Crowdfund it".

Shan't. 

6 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I keep reading about this and have (fortunately limited) experience about it coming to me.

I've seen several cases of people doing it for funerals.  Now yes funerals are expensive (it's not something you shop around for) but there was a long tradition of people, however poor, providing for their own funeral with Co-Op stamps or insurance as it's a certainty and they don't want either to be a burden or to have a pauper's funeral.  Now many have made zero provision and the response is "Crowdfund it".

Then you have kids going on ludicrously expensive and distant sports tours.  I see this as a total jolly for them and the teacher and don't see why I should be paying for it (see also the adult versions: walking the great wall of China, climbing Kilimanjaro, parachute jump, tour of the Andes).  This used to be funded by their parents holding coffee morning, sponsored events etc.  I didn't contribute to those if I could help it as I saw it as a deeply unworthy cause but at least they were doing something.  Now it's just "Crowdfund it".

Shan't. 

I'm with you, FH, begging it is. Not to mention too lazy to do something to raise the funds.  

But my next trip to Australia, probably in late 2017 - would you consider a contribution towards my fare?  It'll save me working extra duty...:rolleyes:

It is a kind of begging, but possibly the one I find most acceptable providing they don't make the mistake of hassling me in person.

I'm beginning to lose patience with too many things nowadays, and at some point a scoundrel smoking and drinking in the street is going to make the mistake of hassling me for money that I don't have.

There are sites dedicated not only to crowdfunding weddings, but house deposits as well. Usually featuring a gurning couple draped round each other in a 'winning' pose.

Or how about crowdfunding that new car you've always wanted?

http://crowdfundbeat.com/2014/08/18/financing-your-next-car-with-crowdfunding/

Beggars, just beggars....

Who donates to such things?! I honestly can't believe people willingly give to sponsor someone's lavish wedding or a car. 

Nowt as queer as folk.

1 hour ago, juvenal said:

There are sites dedicated not only to crowdfunding weddings, but house deposits as well. Usually featuring a gurning couple draped round each other in a 'winning' pose.

Or how about crowdfunding that new car you've always wanted?

http://crowdfundbeat.com/2014/08/18/financing-your-next-car-with-crowdfunding/

Beggars, just beggars....

Ouch, that is even worse than I thought:

When it comes to crowdfunding cars, it’s a pretty straightforward process, that allows you to start an account on a website that connects investors and people looking for financial contributions, and try and collect the money you need for car purchase. The crowdfunding website, for its part, charges a fee – that is usually somewhere around 10 percent – to the funds raised.Raising money this way is particularly convenient for teenage drivers or students, who don’t have a steady income and can’t get a car loan from a bank or a credit union. Using a crowdfunding platform, you can easily collect $2,000 or $3,000 and get yourself a decent used car, by asking people from an online community to donate $20-$30 each, which is a pretty reasonable amount to ask from a complete stranger.

$30 is a reasonable amount to ask from a complete stranger?  And the website gets $3 of this.

I would quibble with their use of the term "investor"; who by the last line has transmuted into "complete stranger".

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

Ouch, that is even worse than I thought:

$30 is a reasonable amount to ask from a complete stranger?  And the website gets $3 of this.

I would quibble with their use of the term "investor"; who by the last line has transmuted into "complete stranger".

Investment in what, an investor by definition is expecting a return, no returns there. 

5 minutes ago, gilf said:

Investment in what, an investor by definition is expecting a return, no returns there. 

Yes, it's on a par with your local football club seeking "investment" to cover their annual losses.

There does seem to be a lot of rubbish out there.

Crowdfunding does have its uses though.  I've donated to this:

A junior doctor who blew the whistle on some alleged dodginess in his hospital and has been blackballed by the NHS.

My name is Chris Day. I am 32 and a doctor with a young family.  I have been fighting for whistleblowing protection for myself and other junior doctors since August 2014. I have lost my career as a result of raising concerns about the adequacy of night time staffing of an Intensive Care Unit in South East London that routinely departed significantly from national standards of staffing.

There are other ways of doing it too.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/desperate-liverpool-woman-launches-online-10723593

This "lovely" lady was a customer of mine who claimed non receipt for goods we sent her. Fortunately we had tracking to prove otherwise. Far be it from me to suggest that as well as begging she may well be using those non tracked items as a way to fund her divorce.