SarahBell

HOLA441
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
8 minutes ago, SarahBell said:

We're two weeks in to our new bin regime and I've just spotted this on twitter:

I wonder how much waste these events create?

https://twitter.com/LARACspeaks

CuluusxWIAAiTwH.jpg:large

The Local Authority Recycling Advisory Committee is the national voice for UK councils on recycling and waste management. Follow us for info, insights & support

Not sure if hot air was wasted or recycled to heat social housing...:rolleyes:

HOLA443
6 minutes ago, SarahBell said:

We're two weeks in to our new bin regime and I've just spotted this on twitter:

I wonder how much waste these events create?

https://twitter.com/LARACspeaks

CuluusxWIAAiTwH.jpg:large

The Local Authority Recycling Advisory Committee is the national voice for UK councils on recycling and waste management. Follow us for info, insights & support

They're very important and it's kind of us to fund their bash. I lie

I regularly segregate my paper and plastic waste into the thin blue and white separate sacks I'm given,

for them both to be hurled into the back of the same lorry and crushed.

HOLA444
HOLA445
16 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I flatly refuse to recycle; I think it's a control and money making scam.

I do however use things to destruction and frequently buy second hand. Which to me is just better.

Totally agree frank. It has the whiff of a scam. Unfortunately I have a partner who has fallen for it completely and has become nazi like in their policing of recycling. I take great pleasure in sneaking recyclable items into the waste bin  :lol::ph34r:

HOLA446
7 minutes ago, One-percent said:

Totally agree frank. It has the whiff of a scam. Unfortunately I have a partner who has fallen for it completely and has become nazi like in their policing of recycling. I take great pleasure in sneaking recyclable items into the waste bin  :lol::ph34r:

I'm happy to recycle, plastic, electronics and batteries especially. However, my council is a scam, which is infuriating as they won't collect if you don't sort that stuff, but it is then all mixed up in their lorry.

But, locally you can go and collect wagon-loads of decent compost for free; ok, it's not free 'technically' but I feel it is something given back for the council tax.

HOLA447
4 minutes ago, LiveinHope said:

I'm happy to recycle, plastic, electronics and batteries especially. However, my council is a scam, which is infuriating as they won't collect if you don't sort that stuff, but it is then all mixed up in their lorry.

But, locally you can go and collect wagon-loads of decent compost for free; ok, it's not free 'technically' but I feel it is something given back for the council tax.

So, let me get this straight. You, as the individual householder, have to sort your recyclables. Then,the council come and chuck it all in the back of the same wagon?  

You really could not make this suff up. :wacko:

HOLA448
12 minutes ago, One-percent said:

So, let me get this straight. You, as the individual householder, have to sort your recyclables. Then,the council come and chuck it all in the back of the same wagon?  

yes

and

yes

I try to minimise my interaction with 'society' as much as possible, for that kind of reason.

HOLA449
51 minutes ago, One-percent said:

I agree - normally they wait until it gets to the depot to mix it all up.

HOLA4410

you don't HAVE to sort it. I rarely bother although I do keep cardboard for burning on my log fire. 

the local tip advertises a 77pc recycling rate which seems odd given that the household container gets about 99pc of everything thrown into it. the staff seem to operate an ' if in doubt throw it in household' ( and then when you're not looking they'll pinch it out for themselves)

HOLA4411
7 hours ago, LiveinHope said:

I regularly segregate my paper and plastic waste into the thin blue and white separate sacks I'm given,

Are you sure the truck isn't segregated inside? Ours are... Left side waste, right side garden waste. (And separate truck for recyclables)

HOLA4412
8 hours ago, LiveinHope said:

for them both to be hurled into the back of the same lorry and crushed

Are you sure? I know my local tips in Northampton all had separate skips for different types of rubbish.  Why would they go to that trouble if the house collections mixed it all up? Why even ask people to separate things? What's the point - to "control people" or something?

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
1 hour ago, canbuywontbuy said:

Are you sure? I know my local tips in Northampton all had separate skips for different types of rubbish.  Why would they go to that trouble if the house collections mixed it all up? Why even ask people to separate things? What's the point - to "control people" or something?

I heard one council saying that whilst they did mix it up they monitored how well it was separated because they could then use these stats to try to get somebody to pay them for the recyclable materials.

That latter may be pie in the sky so that the only actual purpose of people separating out their waste is to provide statistics upon their so doing; monitoring and control.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
3 hours ago, hiace_drifter said:

Are you sure the truck isn't segregated inside? Ours are... Left side waste, right side garden waste. (And separate truck for recyclables)

2 hours ago, canbuywontbuy said:

Very sure. The collection lorries are the old style, standard single rear entry vehicle with the compressor that swings down and well, compresses the load. The two bags are simultaneously, grabbed by the waste operative (binman, to you and I) and hurled into the back of the lorry and crushed.

The bags are very thin and I can't believe that they don't burst but rather survive intact to be tipped and separated at the depot, besides, who is going to sort a mish-mash of bags?

HOLA4417
14 hours ago, LiveinHope said:

That's my problem. Everything goes in the same lorry. Our council has made a contract that means one small mistake, like a dirty cardboard yogurt pot means the whole load is rejected and returned from the mainland to the Isle of Wight for landfill. ?

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
16 minutes ago, Bossybabe said:

That's my problem. Everything goes in the same lorry. Our council has made a contract that means one small mistake, like a dirty cardboard yogurt pot means the whole load is rejected and returned from the mainland to the Isle of Wight for landfill. ?

The Isles of Scilly (population 2,000) has found this year that its landfill tip and incinerator do not now meet the (newly revised) EU standards so all of its rubbish must be transported to Cornwall.  The costs per head of population are horrific; they have their own council so are paying for it themselves.

HOLA4421
19 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

I am sure all the anti recycler brigade on here will be quite happy when a planning application for a Landfill site is lodged near to their home.

I wouldn't mind plenty more landfill sites within the deep holes and ruined land of what is known as Clay Country (area north of St Austell), the product of China Clay extraction. Once full it can be grassed over and recovered which needs to happen anyway.

Most counties have similar ruined industrial landscapes ready to hand.

HOLA4422
7 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I wouldn't mind plenty more landfill sites within the deep holes and ruined land of what is known as Clay Country (area north of St Austell), the product of China Clay extraction. Once full it can be grassed over and recovered which needs to happen anyway.

Most counties have similar ruined industrial landscapes ready to hand.

But isn't it easier to recycle and not bother with this short termism? Burying rubbish underground might be cheaper but if other countries can recycle correctly I don't see why we can't.

recycling-at-rest-stop-in-japan.jpg

HOLA4423
5 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

But isn't it easier to recycle and not bother with this short termism? Burying rubbish underground might be cheaper but if other countries can recycle correctly I don't see why we can't.

recycling-at-rest-stop-in-japan.jpg

Whether it's easier is not the point IMO; it's what uses less resources.

You are assuming that recycling means that we use less; I am assuming that for most things, with glass a possible exception, it uses more.

By resources I include the recycling lorry, sorting plant etc.

HOLA4424
1 hour ago, Kurt Barlow said:

I am sure all the anti recycler brigade on here will be quite happy when a planning application for a Landfill site is lodged near to their home.

I am fully in favour of recycling if, it reduces pollution and/or is carbon neutral

What puzzles me is that I am made to segregate when it is then all scrunched up, and no doubt combined, within the same lorry.

HOLA4425
8 minutes ago, LiveinHope said:

I am fully in favour of recycling if, it reduces pollution and/or is carbon neutral

What puzzles me is that I am made to segregate when it is then all scrunched up, and no doubt combined, within the same lorry.

You should write to your councillor if you think taxpayer money is being abused by the waste contractor like this.

Archived