House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lurkst

Improve your quality of life - move to Scotland

We had the misfortune to have a dour Scotsman as a neighbour once before.  What a miserable grumpy sod he was. Fitted the stereotype almost perfectly. I know they're not all like that but moving up there would merely ensure significant odds of being surrounded by loads more like him. No thanks!

All depends where you are.

There are some parts of Jockland that are amazing - and others that resemble the remnants of the latest air raid on Aleppo.

8 minutes ago, ccc said:

There are some parts of Jockland that are amazing - and others that resemble the remnants of the latest air raid on Aleppo.

Doesn't Glasgow have the lowest life expectancy in the UK?

10 minutes ago, ccc said:

Ardrossan is pretty bleak. I was almost tempted to buy a bolt hole there as a base to reach Arran and then I woke up, it's cheap for a reason but with all the gentrification on the harbour it's not as cheap as it should be. 

9 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Get rid of the midges and the snow and I'm there.

The midges drive you mad.

I was fishing up there recently...after 10 minutes a black cloud of insects gathered around my head and bit the f@@@ out of me.

Seems ok around the sea lochs though.

I worked in Dunbar for nine months in the mid-eighties and fell in love with Scotland, and the Jocks - who of course I take the piss out of at every opportunity because they get concepts like "banter" and "craic" - and in my experience are a very generous and hospitable bunch of pale, ginger people whose menfolk wear skirts..!

I have tried to get back up there ever since - last attempt was in 2012 for a job in Kelso where I got down to the last two - but lost out after a 3rd interview. :(

Me and Mrs XYY regularly holiday in Scotland, and often pop-up for the day or a long week-end. Very practical from where we live - as on a clear run, I can cross the border within 2 hours.

Her dad was from Dundee, so I'm guessing that's why she feels an affinity with the place.

My surname is of North-Eastern origin and was first recorded in the Tynemouth area. My ancestors were a family of border reivers who regularly stole sheep from the south of Scotland. I'm sure if I went back far enough I'd find a slice of Jock in me...! ;)

McXYY

34 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

I worked in Dunbar for nine months in the mid-eighties and fell in love with Scotland, and the Jocks - who of course I take the piss out of at every opportunity because they get concepts like "banter" and "craic" - and in my experience are a very generous and hospitable bunch of pale, ginger people whose menfolk wear skirts..!

I have tried to get back up there ever since - last attempt was in 2012 for a job in Kelso where I got down to the last two - but lost out after a 3rd interview. :(

Me and Mrs XYY regularly holiday in Scotland, and often pop-up for the day or a long week-end. Very practical from where we live - as on a clear run, I can cross the border within 2 hours.

Her dad was from Dundee, so I'm guessing that's why she feels an affinity with the place.

My surname is of North-Eastern origin and was first recorded in the Tynemouth area. My ancestors were a family of border reivers who regularly stole sheep from the south of Scotland. I'm sure if I went back far enough I'd find a slice of Jock in me...! ;)

McXYY

I have a mate who is from a very posh, ancient geordie family.

By geordie, they relocated from the borders (english side) to set up for business purposes in newcastle.

His Dad, given a few drinks, goes in auto kill-all-reivers mode.Goes nuts.

Apparrntly they stopped robbing the odd sheep, moved into newcastle council estates and rob us every month.

He maintains a list of proscribed surnames which he wont employ or engage in business with.

6 minutes ago, spyguy said:

I have a mate who is from a very posh, ancient geordie family.

By geordie, they relocated from the borders (english side) to set up for business purposes in newcastle.

His Dad, given a few drinks, goes in auto kill-all-reivers mode.Goes nuts.

Apparrntly they stopped robbing the odd sheep, moved into newcastle council estates and rob us every month.

He maintains a list of proscribed surnames which he wont employ or engage in business with.

Unlike your mate, I am from a very scummy, ancient Geordie family - though Dame Flora and Sir Bobby didn't do so bad..! :)

Is my surname on your mate's list double-oh-seven...?

I do hope so - I've never been "black-balled" before...

;)

XYY

1 minute ago, The XYY Man said:

Unlike your mate, I am from a very scummy, ancient Geordie family - though Dame Flora and Sir Bobby didn't do so bad..! :)

Is my surname on your mate's list double-oh-seven...?

I do hope so - I've never been "black-balled" before...

;)

XYY

Two chances if youve got a surname for a first name.

Blackballed? Try walkinb down Linthorpe rd on friday night with a man u. Youll be asked to finish your drink and leave.

2 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Two chances if youve got a surname for a first name.

Blackballed? Try walkinb down Linthorpe rd on friday night with a man u. Youll be asked to finish your drink and leave.

So my family are on the list then - excellent..! :)

And I wouldn't walk down Linthorpe Road on a Tuesday morning never mind a Friday night...!

;)

XYY

Just now, The XYY Man said:

So my family are on the list then - excellent..! :)

And I wouldn't walk down Linthorpe Road on a Tuesday morning never mind a Friday night...!

;)

XYY

Crozier Crozier?

7 hours ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Doesn't Glasgow have the lowest life expectancy in the UK?

It's a peculiarity in Glasgow that many of its most affluent areas e.g.  Giffnock, Bearsden, Newton Mearns, come under the jurisdiction of other local authorities which tends to skew those health and wellbeing figures...

On 12/10/2016 at 2:14 PM, anonguest said:

We had the misfortune to have a dour Scotsman as a neighbour once before.  What a miserable grumpy sod he was. Fitted the stereotype almost perfectly. I know they're not all like that but moving up there would merely ensure significant odds of being surrounded by loads more like him. No thanks!

I think the title is wrong.  These sort of surveys tend to find something along the lines of:

Scottish people living in Scotland are quite happy.  But don't go thinking that you'll be happy if you just move to Scotland to find happiness.  You might, but then again you might find something else.  

Wherever you go, there you are.

I have been living in Scotland for nearly a decade and 3 of my siblings also bide here, though we all stay in different parts so we aren't tripping over each other all the time.

Couldn't agree more. It's lovely up here. This is the centre of my small village just outside Edinburgh:

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/queensferry/southqueensferry/images/header-450.jpg

Probably best not to venture too far west, as it tends to get a bit feral out that way...

6 minutes ago, allornothing said:

I'm thinking about moving this way. Do the bridges bug you though?

The road bridge is pretty noisy, but it's closing in six months or so, so should make the place much more pleasant. 

Would imagine it'd be a bit of a ball-ache if you had to cross them every day to get to Edinburgh though... 

On 12/10/2016 at 8:00 PM, The XYY Man said:

Give over ya daft get..!

;)

XYY

Almost on cue ...

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/pub-raiders-who-stole-30k-12015487

' One of the pub burglars Carl Crozier also took part in the invasion of a frail 86-year-old man’s home, in which an intruder brazenly strolled past the shocked pensioner. '

Scotland, unlike the rest of the UK, isn't horribly overpopulated (central belt aside), despite the SNPs apparent desire to fvck it up in that regard because they're idiots. That's probably why, and should be a lesson. And even in the central belt area you're not that far from escaping it to somewhere nice.

The midge issue is depressingly real though, and the short winter days are even shorter.

The Road bridge ain't planned to shut for a long time !! Unless I have missed something ?! That was the original plan but now they have realised it is not nearly as bad as they thought ? Will have far less traffic on it of course. Think they are leaving it open for certain vehicles only - buses and taxis and the like ?

Or making I am talking nonsense.