House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
workingpoor

Fujitsu on the ropes

Manchester had the strongest Remain vote in the North West - but the majority of districts in the area voted to leave the European Union.
In Greater Manchester, Manchester voted 60.4% to stay, followed by Trafford at 57.7% and Stockport at 52.3%.
Wigan, Tameside and Oldham at 63.9%, 61.1% and 60.9% respectively topped the Leave votes.
Interim mayor Tony Lloyd said it was not the result they "hoped for" and work to analyse the impact would begin.

Source : The vile BBC

Can't they be put to building new homes - just recently there was an article about a shortage of people needed for the building industry.  Is it going to free up land for building new homes.

Apart from that how many of the Fujitsu workers were brought in from overseas due to the lack of skilled British workers and the workers who wouldn't do that sort of work.  Let them go home - it probably it won't end up having any real effect at all.  It might even result in some more new homes being built.

In due course Fujitsu could get a medal to display in its reception area.

KAIZEN.

Edited by billybong

“It is not good news for the UK economy as the company says that it intends to offshore many of these jobs, with increased automation also responsible for job losses.

It's not Fujitsu's fault. They were caught out by the digital transformation.... :rolleyes:

The firm said in a statement: “Fujitsu is planning a transformation programme that will enable it to better support customers in the era of digital transformation.

“The company today advised its employee representative forum of plans to restructure the organisation in order to provide better service and respond more quickly to customer needs.

“As part of the programme, Fujitsu plans to streamline operations in order to remain competitive in the market.

It's not their fault, if they want to compete and survive then they have to do it.

Why is everybody denying that it's inevitable and Fujitsu are just being mean,  it's the whole point of the tech industry isn't it?

A lot of the big consultancies are chucking people at the moment, it's a global phenomenon (e.g. HP, IBM, CSC etc.). My take is that a lot of their bread and butter work of infrastructure management is being eaten by the cloud providers like Amazon and Azure. Why pay some muppets from CSC 50K to build a couple of servers for you when you can spin up a few VMs in AWS for next to nothing and be up and running in minutes?

4 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

A lot of the big consultancies are chucking people at the moment, it's a global phenomenon (e.g. HP, IBM, CSC etc.). My take is that a lot of their bread and butter work of infrastructure management is being eaten by the cloud providers like Amazon and Azure. Why pay some muppets from CSC 50K to build a couple of servers for you when you can spin up a few VMs in AWS for next to nothing and be up and running in minutes?

This is true. The hosting and managed services jobs are going to AWS. The development and support jobs are going to India. That just leaves a bit of consultancy and sales being done on-shore.

4 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

No, this cannot true.

According to fandaman, who, according to a a BTL property guru, says the likes of Fujitsu, MS and Oracle are making the the ThamesValley full of technology millionaires - even when must of the population cannot use a computer.

My take is that the big companies that were present in the M4 corridor are on the ropes and suffering from the Thames Valley shortcomings - horrendous traffic congestion, limited train links outside Reading, which is hard to get to, not many skilled people willing to move there.

44 minutes ago, BristolBuyer said:

This is true. The hosting and managed services jobs are going to AWS. The development and support jobs are going to India. That just leaves a bit of consultancy and sales being done on-shore.

I dont think the India thing is true anymore. Too many companies bitten.

1 hour ago, spyguy said:

I dont think the India thing is true anymore. Too many companies bitten.

Also it's 10% more expensive than it was last week.

automation is killing a lot of it and will continue to do so. One reason why i picked my current technology stack is that I have to sit next to the customer and I can implement the look and feel in minutes

1 hour ago, eek said:

Also it's 10% more expensive than it was last week.

automation is killing a lot of it and will continue to do so. One reason why i picked my current technology stack is that I have to sit next to the customer and I can implement the look and feel in minutes

Well, yes.

IT is too broad a term, but that does not stop people bandying it around.

Systems and processes that Ive worked with for 20 odd years have always been improved/speeded up/whatever by some form of automation - scripting, some sort of better admin tool etc etc etc.

And the companies that have achieved it have always done it in-house.

The idea that a a C-suite will be able to indentify some process or technology improvement, spec it, and then find a cheap out sourcer  on the sub-continent to implement is laughable.

And thats before you actually get to the fact there are very few competent Indians in India. Or the infrastructure to power a LED buld, never mind a data centre.

9 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

I'm not an IT person, so don't know how relevant this is, but I've just decided that I'd like a PC capable of running a few VMs to make my matched betting activities a bit simpler. So I went and had a look on ebay, and ended up buying a 1U HP DL160 G6 server, with dual Xeon E5620s (so a total of 8 cores / 16 threads) and 24GB of RAM...for 60 quid delivered. The seller seemingly has dozens to get rid of, along with plenty of DL380s and the like. Someone is closing a datacentre or three I reckon.

3 minutes ago, Rave said:

I'm not an IT person, so don't know how relevant this is, but I've just decided that I'd like a PC capable of running a few VMs to make my matched betting activities a bit simpler. So I went and had a look on ebay, and ended up buying a 1U HP DL160 G6 server, with dual Xeon E5620s (so a total of 8 cores / 16 threads) and 24GB of RAM...for 60 quid delivered. The seller seemingly has dozens to get rid of, along with plenty of DL380s and the like. Someone is closing a datacentre or three I reckon.

160! Iv checked.

Those are decent boxes.

Cool cheers. Quite how practical it'll be as a desktop remains to be seen, but that's the kind of perverse sillyness I enjoy anyway.

7 minutes ago, Rave said:

Cool cheers. Quite how practical it'll be as a desktop remains to be seen, but that's the kind of perverse sillyness I enjoy anyway.

Its not!

Its about 3 inches high but the size of a desk.

Apparently Ericsson lost 17% today due to poor sales figures. 

If my memory serves right Ericsson were the first one to announce investment in post Brexit Britain.

1 minute ago, hi5lo5 said:

Apparently Ericsson lost 17% today due to poor sales figures. 

If my memory serves right Ericsson were the first one to announce investment in post Brexit Britain.

Ericsson  is suffering as Huawei eats its business and company's take 2 looks at the security / cost question and answer cost cost cost

10 minutes ago, eek said:

Ericsson  is suffering as Huawei eats its business and company's take 2 looks at the security / cost question and answer cost cost cost

There's more problems than the very real issue of security with Huawei.

Its a single supplier, where the supplier appears to be funded by a ponzi scheme. And the members of the ponzi are the Huawei employees.

I doubt itll end well for all parties.

12 minutes ago, eek said:

Oh. And when accounting for security - companies can use a figure of £0.

The bill for secutiry happens later down the road.

1 hour ago, Rave said:

I have considered using second-hand commercial servers at home, but the power consumption and noise levels were prohibitive if used 24/7.

For comparison, I'm currently using the smallest available AWS Windows VM which claims to be a Xeon E5-2676v3 (2.4GHz) with 1GB of RAM. That's available for free for 12 months under the AWS "free-tier".

2 hours ago, Rave said:

Academic professor in the department I work at had some server racks delivered, the server room next door wasn't ready and there was some bureaucratic BS going on, he just set them up in his office :)  They were a bit noisy mind, but worked fine in his office corner 

41 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

Expensive laptops are going out of fashion and being replaced by cheaper Android tablets, so future profits will be down?

Decent lappy ranging from £350-500 but can pick up a tablet from £150-£200? ... no contest if you're only interested in mainly surfing/watching videos posting on HPC

9 hours ago, spyguy said:

Its not!

Its about 3 inches high but the size of a desk.

It arrived today. Yes, it's a lot deeper than I expected! But the desk it'll be going on is pretty large, and I can always sit the monitor on top of it if necessary. I opened it up to have a look (of course) and it looks basically new, literally not a spec of dust in it, if it has been working away for the last few years it has lived somewhere with a very serious filtration system.

7 hours ago, BristolBuyer said:

I have considered using second-hand commercial servers at home, but the power consumption and noise levels were prohibitive if used 24/7.

For comparison, I'm currently using the smallest available AWS Windows VM which claims to be a Xeon E5-2676v3 (2.4GHz) with 1GB of RAM. That's available for free for 12 months under the AWS "free-tier".

This claims to have a 450W power supply, and I'm certainly never going to get anywhere near that in normal use, I may try a bit of HD video editing or similar now I've got 8 cores to play with, but ordinarily the processors will be basically idling; main disk will be an SSD, and I'm just going to bung an old laptop 2.5" disk that I had knocking about in for storage. Noise could be a problem as you say, the whole thing is cooled by six 40mm Delta fans; back in the day when I was into overclocking Athlon XPs people used to use them for cooling northbridges IIRC, and they were nicknamed 'screamers'! There's 5 or 6 wires going in to each one though so I'm hoping that it has temperature sensing and fan speed control.

Presumably you get to share the 12 cores of that E5-2676v3 with a few other users? ;)

1 minute ago, Rave said:

It arrived today. Yes, it's a lot deeper than I expected! But the desk it'll be going on is pretty large, and I can always sit the monitor on top of it if necessary. I opened it up to have a look (of course) and it looks basically new, literally not a spec of dust in it, if it has been working away for the last few years it has lived somewhere with a very serious filtration system.

This claims to have a 450W power supply, and I'm certainly never going to get anywhere near that in normal use, I may try a bit of HD video editing or similar now I've got 8 cores to play with, but ordinarily the processors will be basically idling; main disk will be an SSD, and I'm just going to bung an old laptop 2.5" disk that I had knocking about in for storage. Noise could be a problem as you say, the whole thing is cooled by six 40mm Delta fans; back in the day when I was into overclocking Athlon XPs people used to use them for cooling northbridges IIRC, and they were nicknamed 'screamers'! There's 5 or 6 wires going in to each one though so I'm hoping that it has temperature sensing and fan speed control.

Presumably you get to share the 12 cores of that E5-2676v3 with a few other users? ;)

I cant justify the dpace.

Although more expensive, ill just grap a couple of i7 nucs for grunt work. A d a nas box