Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

maternity unit to check id

Recommended Posts

It was ever thus. When I worked at a famous London teaching hospital they used to send bills to people who f@cked off back to Saudi or Nigeria and never paid them.

 

I think the measures to ask for ID seem like a blunt instrument but better than nothing.  Whether they'd kick a woman in labour out of hospital is another matter entirely. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the Beeb article, it suggests that they are sitting on the fence. More of a threat than a plan of action.  Perhaps in an attempt to,scare one or two into not trying it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My local French hospital won't let you through the front door if you don't have the ability to pay (a state hospital). The only exception are people brought in by ambulance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Simple solution - any kid born in a UK hospital using the NHS becomes a UK taxpayer on their worldwide income.  DNA test at birth to confirm identity.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, satch said:

Quite common for people to land at Heathrow and get a taxi to a hospital, particularly for childbirth and serious illnesses. This is one reason why London NHS Trusts cost so much to run, what does the hospital do? turn them away if they can't prove UK residency. IIRC last time I was at A&E (not emergency but set by GP as specialist needed to look at condition) I had to provide address details and ID. So treat the visitors or turn them away and allow them to die?

Difficult but they all know they will be treated and an invoice sent at a later date ..... which of course they will not pay!

Make the airlines liable for the cost if they travelled in the past 14 days.  Then the airlines would insist on medical insurance evidence before flying.  Simple.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wherebee said:

Simple solution - any kid born in a UK hospital using the NHS becomes a UK taxpayer on their worldwide income.  DNA test at birth to confirm identity.

 

How would you enforce that when they tell you to do one and that they don't want to live or return to the UK?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Save me from the madness! said:

surely just confiscate their passport and place them on a do not let through passport control list until the bill is paid. If they have money for international airfares, they have money!

So they just decide to stay then! Or will we just let them starve to death at the boarding gate of their flight home?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, wherebee said:

Make the airlines liable for the cost if they travelled in the past 14 days.  Then the airlines would insist on medical insurance evidence before flying.  Simple.

Or people fly 15 days before they give birth

Or the airlines might decide not to bother flying here

Or be fooled by fake documents

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, davidg said:

My local French hospital won't let you through the front door if you don't have the ability to pay (a state hospital). The only exception are people brought in by ambulance.

So people will just call an ambulance. Saves on the bus fare!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, knock out johnny said:

So people will just call an ambulance. Saves on the bus fare!

Dunno about France, but an ambulance costs about $300 here. That's a pretty expensive taxi.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I doubt hospitals in their own countries would leave a woman to give birth on their hospital steps.

They would however be more interested in enforcing the debt; rather than sending out a token invoice that can be ignored without consequence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How would it work in other countries?  Say someone from here rocked up pregnant in America or Germany, or Spain.  What would happen if the British bod tried to access their services in the same way?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, One-percent said:

How would it work in other countries?  Say someone from here rocked up pregnant in America or Germany, or Spain.  What would happen if the British bod tried to access their services in the same way?

In the US if you genuinely have no funds and no health insurance then you will be treated by the charity hospitals but not by the private hospitals.  And they will actively investigate you and then pursue the debt if they find you do have the means to pay.

That they have this two tier systems means that the private hospitals can flat refuse you treatment without payment.

To be able to reject patients in a similar way we would need to have similar here: a NHS for evidenced UK citizens and those not entitled but who can pay, and a free hospital to take in those not entitled to / paying for the NHS.

Without this secondary system the NHS will keep treating everybody so Tooting hospital's pronouncement is just empty words.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You cannot fly in the last month of a pregnancy. It's not women jumping on a short-haul flight when going into labour to sample the delights of the NHS. It's "undocumented" migrants, who are showing up in larger numbers on proxy statistics than government official estimates would suggest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, wherebee said:

Make the airlines liable for the cost if they travelled in the past 14 days.  Then the airlines would insist on medical insurance evidence before flying.  Simple.

Insurance is the key.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, satch said:

Quite common for people to land at Heathrow and get a taxi to a hospital, particularly for childbirth and serious illnesses. This is one reason why London NHS Trusts cost so much to run, what does the hospital do? turn them away if they can't prove UK residency. IIRC last time I was at A&E (not emergency but set by GP as specialist needed to look at condition) I had to provide address details and ID. So treat the visitors or turn them away and allow them to die?

Difficult but they all know they will be treated and an invoice sent at a later date ..... which of course they will not pay!

A simple law making all airlines check the health insurance for all their passengers would be a start.

The problem then being we all need an ID card to prove we are UK peeps and have our freebie health care. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SarahBell said:

A simple law making all airlines check the health insurance for all their passengers would be a start.

The problem then being we all need an ID card to prove we are UK peeps and have our freebie health care. 

I need an ID for so many things and the vast majority of adults already have a a photo driver licence so whilst I would not want a requirement to carry one I would not be adverse to a requirement to having a ID card that you would be required to present when expecting to use services paid for by the taxpayer and to which only UK citizens are entitled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, One-percent said:

How would it work in other countries?  Say someone from here rocked up pregnant in America or Germany, or Spain.

I was watching one of those 'Border Security' shows a couple of months ago where a pregnant Chinese woman turned up at US immigration aiming to have her baby in America.

They put her on the next plane home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, MarkG said:

I was watching one of those 'Border Security' shows a couple of months ago where a pregnant Chinese woman turned up at US immigration aiming to have her baby in America.

They put her on the next plane home.

I wonder whether our border force would do the same?  My guess is that the strain on the NHS and other public services is not a priority for either them or government. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Next General Election   93 members have voted

    1. 1. When do you predict the next general election will be held?


      • 2019
      • 2020
      • 2021
      • 2022

    Please sign in or register to vote in this poll. View topic


×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.