House Price Crash Forum

Endoscopy Tomorrow

Renewed Investor

HOLA441

So I have to have an Endoscopy tomorrow afternoon and I'm still uncertain about it. I have the option of either a throat spray to numb the throat or I can get an IV sedative.

Now I have to admit I do not like Doctors, Nurses or anything medical related, it's been a bit of a phobia since I was a child. I've gotten a lot better at handling this "phobia" though as I've gotten older, I no longer wait until my condition is crippling me before I seek medical help. The question is though whether I will be able to keep my cool throughout this procedure.

Has anyone here had this procedure done? If so what did you opt for? I'm particularly interested in anyone who just had the spray instead of the sedative and whether it was enough for you or whether you would go for the sedative if you had to have it again. Ideally I would have the sedative but I have work to do and since it takes a couple hours to recover from the sedative it would mean me having to work late to meet my deadline (Client needs my work by 8am Thursday).

Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

HOLA442

Go for the IV sedative.

I have friends, both doctors and nurses, who do these daily and they all, separately, have said that everyone should go for the sedative. They have told me horror stories of people making the wrong choice and then struggling - happens a lot with elderly people who don't wish to cause a fuss and opt for the spray.

They can give you the magic reverse drugs afterwards to make you recover faster but they tend not to do this... unless it is Friday afternoon and they want to get off on the dot :D ...

I think you need to separate the work for your client with the medical procedure - the latter being your priority. Dependent on you as a person you might be fine a few hours later or you might just want to go to bed and fall asleep. You will not be able to drive after the sedative so you will need the bus, a taxi or someone to come get you.

HOLA443
HOLA444

First time I had the spray.

Second time I also opted for it, but the Doctor who spoke to me while I was waiting to go in for the procedure noticed how tense I was, and if I would prefer the knock-out drops.

I said I would, but that as I had driven to the hospital, and had no-one available to pick me up, then the recovery time before I would be allowed to drive was not really an option. 

He then asked if he could give me a much-reduced dose of whatever they normally used - and that if I agreed, I'd be allowed out within a hour or so.

The senior nurse objected to this strongly, telling this doctor - who was not normally resident in Hartlepool General - that they didn't do things like that in her hospital.

He told her in no uncertain terms to butt-out..!

I can't be certain of the numbers, but I think the regular dose was 20mg - and they gave me 3mg.

Now at the risk of having the piss took out of me by the rest of the off-topic comedians - all I can say is that I went under as they shoved it in - and I came round as they pulled it out..!

This was so much more enjoyable than my first-experience with only the throat-lube...

XYY

PS: Howay then lads - fill yer boots..! ;) 

HOLA445
HOLA446
1 hour ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Go for the IV sedative.

I have friends, both doctors and nurses, who do these daily and they all, separately, have said that everyone should go for the sedative. They have told me horror stories of people making the wrong choice and then struggling - happens a lot with elderly people who don't wish to cause a fuss and opt for the spray.

They can give you the magic reverse drugs afterwards to make you recover faster but they tend not to do this... unless it is Friday afternoon and they want to get off on the dot :D ...

I think you need to separate the work for your client with the medical procedure - the latter being your priority. Dependent on you as a person you might be fine a few hours later or you might just want to go to bed and fall asleep. You will not be able to drive after the sedative so you will need the bus, a taxi or someone to come get you.

Correct.

Your health is the most important thing, and you have a safe option which you know will be the most comfortable option for you, so go with that.

HOLA447

A few years ago i had to go into hospital. Things went wrong and i had to have a gastric tube. I gagged and puked all the way, then made them stop and try a smaller diameter tube. It was horrendous. The operation and everything else i was oblivious too.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

You are lucky that they are giving you an option. I have heard stories of some doctors not giving a choice and simply giving the throat spray to the concern of other medics.

I mention this as I would suggest that you get it clear in your head tonight what you want and that tomorrow, if you want the sedative but it is not offered to you, that you speak up and tell them that you were told that you would be offered a choice.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

IV every time. I had the throat spray and it was a nightmare, constantly retching. Seems I have a highly developed gag reflex. I've also had a colonoscopy and I would much rather take it up the a*** than down the throat after the endoscopy experience!

Hope it all turns out OK OP.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
13 minutes ago, mikthe20 said:

IV every time. I had the throat spray and it was a nightmare, constantly retching. Seems I have a highly developed gag reflex. I've also had a colonoscopy and I would much rather take it up the a*** than down the throat after the endoscopy experience!

Hope it all turns out OK OP.

TOO MUCH INFORMATION Mik. Lol. I'm not going to,sleep,well with that mental image 

HOLA4420
35 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Step inside the borough of Hartlepool and say that you filthy ape..!

XYY

Not directly related to the filming of one's colon, but imagine my suprise when I settled down for a nice bit of financial news the other day and I got an article about said borough:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-08-25/brexit-won-t-end-inequality-in-britain-hartlepool-says

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
4 hours ago, Breowan said:

An important point: if you have the sedative you can't drive or sign any legal documents for 24hrs afterwards.

Yes. My girlfriend had one of these, and I had to pick her up from the hospital afterwards. You wake up from the sedative pretty quickly, but it's still like being drunk for a few hours after that.

HOLA4423

I've had one an opted for the spray. That way you're up and out once it's over. 

From what I was told, if you opt for the sedation you'll still feel it but you won't remember it. If you opt for the spray you won't feel it going down. You will retch repeatedly throughout the process however. 

HOLA4424

I had it done. I had a strong gag reflex ....

I drank some kind of liquid and waited. The Doctor came in and said...`oh...that hasn't worked has it. well, I`m gonna do it any way.`

After a fair amount of gaging I was able to watch the show on the TV monitor.

The picture was really clear....I guess in this country (for it was in Japan) it`s as bright as a TOC H lamp.

HOLA4425

Archived