House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
novicerenter

(1) Noisy Landlord (2) Ast Allow Viewings?

Hello, I've looked through the FAQs, I think I saw an answer to (2) but not to (1) and so I'm posting to double check - I'd welcome responses from anyone who definitely knows the answers, please...

(1) I live in a block - 3 flats. Ground (me), Middle (landlord's occasional pad), Top (landlord's other tenant)

Problem is, tenant in top flat is noisy. Not so much music as he talks at top of his voice, right outside my door, in corridor, and recently he's started doing this and moving things about (up the stairs and down) at between midnight and 4.15am. He's ok to talk to but I don't know how he'll react to my approach on that.

He and his partner seem nice people, but you never know. It's not his fault the floors are poor and I can hear him in his flat, so I am reluctant to tell him off, but lately he's actually blatantly noisy outside my door in the middle of the night.

In addition to that I've landlord noise; my landlord is a mature man but for some reason is a noisy neighbour on the 1 or 2 nights a week he comes to stay. I've just moved my bedroom to be away from under his sitting room (tv on loud all day). He's quite a nice man, and I'm on good terms with him so far (been here 2 months) but he too makes a lot of noise. Believe it or not, he seems to rise at 4am when he's here, and he makes a lot of noise with footsteps, things dropped on the floor, creaking, doors slamming, etc. Last night he woke me for prolonged periods at 1.30am, 4.15am and again at 6.15am when he finally left. He'll probably return in a week and I'm wondering how to tackle this without causing offence.

So...this weekend I had the top flat keep me up Friday to 4am, and the landlord the same last night. If work was the next day (and sometimes it is) it makes me very tired, as the landlord does this on his weekday visits too.

(2) I have an AST, I recall the agreement saying I've got to show viewers around for the next letting once I leave. If I leave at the 6 or 7 month period (the break clause) do I have to show people around or is it a meaningless bluff clause as I seem to recall reading here somewhere? Also once the AST period is over (12 mths) I assume it becomes a Periodic Tenancy and I don't have to give notice, though I will for courtesy reasons. Then, am I right in thinking it's the Letting Agent and not the Managing Agent who retains my deposit and for me to retrieve it from (if ever I get it back) ?

Thank you for any replies,

a very tired Novice Renter.

OK. First question. Speak to the landlord, discuss the situation. If nothing improves, then your next and only other port of call would be the council, for noise pollution.

With regards your second question:

- I have never heard of such a term before, and I believe it would be nigh on impossible for a landlord to enforce, so I wouldn't worry about it.

- Once the AST is over, it becomes a periodic tenancy. However, in a periodic tenancy, you do have to give notice. The only case where you do not have to give notice, which I think is what you mean anyway, is if you basically leave the day your AST fixed term expires.

- Whoever took your deposit initially would be who you would try and retrieve it from first. But note, in the case of deposit disputes, not returned, etc....you ALWAYS have to take it up with the landlord themself, no agents etc, as the only legal tie is between you and the landlord. Although this may sound unfair, if the landlord has had nothing to do with the deposit, he can then sue the agent for the deposit.

Thank you, Mr Shed, much appreciated. :)

Yes, the agreement has the most terms and clauses most people I showed it to have ever seen. Very small font, about 10 pages!

Best wishes,

N R

EDIT: What I meant about viewings but didn't write it clearly: In the last month before I leave, the contract says I am supposed to show viewers around. I read elsewhere on here they can't enforce that.

Edited by novicerenter

are you sure everyone is being noisy? Is it a new flat? are the walls thin? Perhaps your landlord and the bloke upstairs think your equally noisy, and the sound of your tv and talking is travelling just aswell...

if your hearing his doors creaking, Im sure he must be hearing every pin drop in your flat... get some Ear plugs, or move somewhere more sound proofed....

Edited by moosetea

are you sure everyone is being noisy? Is it a new flat? are the walls thin? Perhaps your landlord and the bloke upstairs think your equally noisy, and the sound of your tv and talking is travelling just aswell...

if your hearing his doors creaking, Im sure he must be hearing every pin drop in your flat... get some Ear plugs, or move somewhere more sound proofed....

You are welcome novicerenter.

Are you meaning that this is acceptable moosetea? It may not be anyones fault, but that does not mean it is an acceptable level of noise, or that it isn't highly irritating.

It is very much worth discussing this with your landlord. As this is not just a problem with the tenants, but also the property itself, a prudent landlord would invest the money in better soundproofing, as the problem is bound to reoccur. If more than one tenant moves out because of it, the loss of rental income in the void periods alone would probably be more than the cost of extra soundproofing.

Mr Shed, many thanks. I don't think the landlord would. The whole flat has signs of shoestring budget to it. The walls were simply painted over by his workmen, and mold is growing back. There is a cheap new bathroom though, so I keep everything clean and do my best, but I seriously doubt the LL would put any more serious money in.

As for noise, no I really am very quiet. I don't even listen to my CD collection any more and the little tv I have is always turned down, as is the radio. Yes, the building is poor acoustically, but there's not a shadow of a doubt that the top flat neighbour really went to town with his noise last weekend (and not for the first time) as if I wasn't in. And the landlord pretty much the same the next day/night, and also not for the first time. I've moved bedrooms now to escape the tv noise at least, and it was a lot of hassle, which I don't need.

So, I may have calm words with them (or try to be calm about it anyway) but ultimately I'm already browsing the lettings pages in the paper (and Rightmove, though it tends to not always be up to date) and thinking about moving on at the break clause. I saw that there are some lets now down in price matching and bettering my current rent, although the majority of local LLs have definitely not reduced their rents yet or by any noticeable amount. (But some look to me to be down 5 to 7 pc I'm almost positive.)

I checked the place before I took the let, and no one was here on the many visits I made. Moral of the story is to view when other people are in the block rather than just when you're able to or granted a viewing.

Thanks again for the reply :)