House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

spunko2010

Why don't you post in the main forum?

I've been posting in the main Housing related forum for a few years, and only recently ventured over here into Off Topic. The thing that struck me was the number of users present here that don't post in the main forum. What are your reason(s) for not posting there? I'm intrigued...

I'll get the ball rolling: Aside from some post-Brexit excitement, I've mostly given up on the housing market as it depresses me so I don't really venture in there much any more.

I have found out much more useful info on here than on the main forum. When I joined it was the main forum info I was after. Now I do read it and comment sometimes - but off topic is where its at IMO.

Main forum is for specifically economic stuff. Off topic is for the more fun/useful/general knowledge type things.

As ccc says, some of the best threads are in Off topic.

7 minutes ago, ccc said:

I have found out much more useful info on here than on the main forum. When I joined it was the main forum info I was after. Now I do read it and comment sometimes - but off topic is where its at IMO.

Yep. The stuff Ive learned on this website is frankly staggering.  Websites Ive been led to people Ive never heard of before. My opinions and views are frankly 100% changed since I first came here 10 years ago and admittedly that was starting off on the main forum.  However the one thing this site doesnt really do well is house prices, and not only that Im truly over houseprices.  The crows will roost over house ownershipenslavement one day...... but when?????

Also wish there was a technical help forum on here too, where one could ask for technical or even general advice. Have a dozen queries but dont want to bog down the off topic with help requests.  There probably is a wealth of knowledge here

11 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

I've been posting in the main Housing related forum for a few years, and only recently ventured over here into Off Topic. The thing that struck me was the number of users present here that don't post in the main forum. What are your reason(s) for not posting there? I'm intrigued...

I'll get the ball rolling: Aside from some post-Brexit excitement, I've mostly given up on the housing market as it depresses me so I don't really venture in there much any more.

It's just one subject, done to death, and the consensus opinion has been empirically wrong for 15 years straight.

OT is a place for all sorts of other ideas that regularly challenge my assumptions  (fundamental and trivial) about the world and my fellow humans.

I bought a house through necessity rather than for economic advantage which made the main forum pretty redundant for me.

I used to post there a lot, far more than in this forum.

6 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

It's just one subject, done to death, and the consensus opinion has been empirically wrong for 15 years straight.

OT is a place for all sorts of other ideas that regularly challenge my assumptions  (fundamental and trivial) about the world and my fellow humans.

^ This

Everything that had to be said has already been said a thousand times.

Occasionally we get an interesting 'black swan' event (Brexit, or Deutsche Bank recently, or the Chinese economy last August) but overall it's been like watching the proverbial kettle.

48 minutes ago, Neptune said:

Yep. The stuff Ive learned on this website is frankly staggering.  Websites Ive been led to people Ive never heard of before. My opinions and views are frankly 100% changed since I first came here 10 years ago and admittedly that was starting off on the main forum.  However the one thing this site doesnt really do well is house prices, and not only that Im truly over houseprices.  The crows will roost over house ownershipenslavement one day...... but when?????

+1

This site has taught me about the nature of money, taxation, distribution of wealth, media manipulations, forced me to think about my relationship to religions and races, given me valuable advice on subjects as varied as LED lightbulbs and 1970s prog rock bands.

Pretty much the only thing that I haven't learnt here is which way house prices are going!

1 hour ago, Neptune said:

Also wish there was a technical help forum on here too, where one could ask for technical or even general advice. Have a dozen queries but dont want to bog down the off topic with help requests.  There probably is a wealth of knowledge here

Hmmm, now I'm intrigued about what questions they are.

Because main forum is just waiting for the crash.  

Offtopic is watching the car crash live... :)

I am already pretty well versed in the topics that come up in the main forum, not much else to learn other than keeping up with recent events (which I do anyway since I trade the markets). With me trading the markets I have often already discussed the issues with other people in the industry, sometimes before the news becomes mainstream. Not to sound an 4rse or anything, but discussing them again with people that are probably not likely as well connected as my contacts seems a bit pointless. I make money preparing for events before they occur, not from reacting and trying to make sense of it all afterwards.

The Off topic forum I find a lot more interesting because we cover many things that would not be discussed in most venues because of fear of political backlash (PC language, fat shaming, the downside to mass immigration and so on). What is discussed here is a combination of out of the box thinking and thoughts that many dare not say unless the thinker knows those around them are on the same wave length.

Genuinely felt there was a decent chance of a crash around 2003/4 when I first joined here, the economic conditions were right and you felt at the time that any fall out for people would be based on those who had stupidly over stretched themselves. Then 2005 came along and we have a chance to cool things off and, the correct move in my opinion would have been an interest rate rise and they went for a cut. The government basically showed that they would do anything to keep the plates spinning (the BoE was independent but other noises showed everybody was on the same page). 

Been 10 years now, hasn't happened, don't think it will now without a complete crash in the economy, where as in 2005 it might have been an isolated crash in the housing market only, limited mainly to people who had pushed themselves too far. It would have been bad for a few, now it would be bad for all. There really is nothing to be said in the main forum for me anymore, you are more likely to be discussing the root cause of the crash in this section than over there (i.e. some black swan event, not necessarily related to direct economics)

Posted less and less in the main forum, probably gave up looking at it in 2007 or so. However been coming to Off Topic the whole time, for me it's a forum populated with like minded individuals, but certainly not an echo chamber. I read way more than I post, I'm here every day, a couple of times a day. 

It's a forum about house prices in a post-HPC world. As someone above very eloquently pointed out - it used to be ahead of the curve. I learnt so much on there between 2005 and 2009 I'll be eternally grateful to many of the contributors - it almost completely changed my outlook on life. IMO the game is now beyond house prices. A house price crash in isolation just isn't going to happen, the future of Western Civilisation is at stake and there's only one place to discuss that.

35 minutes ago, Bloo Loo said:

This is where "The Pin" is at.

As a Bishop of the Church of Pin, I understand. (Actually, I wouldn't join any religion that'd have me as a member. ?

4 hours ago, ccc said:

This ^^^^

Plus, I sold my soul to the devil in 2013 and bought a house. 

The main-forum bunch have to be "bulls" or "bears" - whereas we off-topicers can be "a bit of both", or "neither".

We're an eclectic group of mis-fits down here, who have found a place where the craic is good, and where regular attendance and gentlemanly behaviour is rewarded by positions in The Church Of Pin. What's not to like..?

Main-forum...? Bunch of knacker-sacs...!

;)

XYY

1 minute ago, Bossybabe said:

It is - as far as I'm concerned. ?

And me.  So glad I stumbled into it.  My life has been illuminated. Not very brightly as we only use toc h lamps 

The game is rigged. Every time we get to the breach TPTB pull another masses-impoverishing rabbit out of their arses. Just don't care any more about corrections to housing. The correction needs to be so ludicrous to return to traditional affordability that they will rob Peter to pay Paul. 

TL:DR - Life's too short and ignorance is bliss. 

22 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

The game is rigged. Every time we get to the breach TPTB pull another masses-impoverishing rabbit out of their arses. Just don't care any more about corrections to housing. The correction needs to be so ludicrous to return to traditional affordability that they will rob Peter to pay Paul. 

TL:DR - Life's too short and ignorance is bliss. 

My take is that it has now spilled over into a political/social correction, much more interesting than just a house price correction. They couldn`t let the banks burn in `07, but I still believe that property is going to take a big hit, and I bet a few "elites" are now probably wishing they hadn`t so obviously bailed out the big players.