House Price Crash Forum

Hi everyone!

Short introduction - I've read this forum on and off for many years, as like many others I have an interest in house prices and the housing markets.

Recently, I'd been looking around for a good online calculator for house prices and home equity and the ones I'd found we're pretty basic, so to cut a long story short I've just built what I hope is a better one.

I'd really appreciate any feedback on the design/features and any bugs that people encounter, since I cannot test it on every device or software personally (though it should work on desktop/tablet and phone). I'd also like to hear any ideas for future developments/features to add.

To the moderators - I understand this is my first post and if I've broken any rules by posting the site than please let me know, although obviously I'd like to think it would be of interest and useful to the forum members.

Anyway it's here:

http://www.homegraph.com

Screen Capture copy.jpg

Welcome, and thanks for posting.

Personal opinion is that it's certainly pretty, but given that the interest rate and growth rate are neither static nor predictable, it's kind of meaningless to me.

I'm sure others will find it very useful though. One practical point - I found the sliders a little over sensitive so it took a few overshoots before I was able to settle on the property value and mortgage amount. Not sure if that's just my mouse / browser though.

28 minutes ago, Fully Detached said:

Personal opinion is that it's certainly pretty, but given that the interest rate and growth rate are neither static nor predictable, it's kind of meaningless to me.

I'm sure others will find it very useful though. One practical point - I found the sliders a little over sensitive so it took a few overshoots before I was able to settle on the property value and mortgage amount. Not sure if that's just my mouse / browser though.

The website looks pretty.

Could you break the taboo of "Property is one way bet" by adding negative growth? I am sure that will happen for the next 5-10 years, we are in a bear market.

The home I live in and am paying for is worth 1p or less.......it costs far more to service and maintain.....hearsay as to what it might be one day in the future, who cares....whatever it is everything else is relative, taking on more debt costs more, taking on less debt costs less.....;)

59 minutes ago, Fully Detached said:

Thanks - you can type exact numbers into all the boxes as well as use the sliders. I agree about the rates changing over time, but at least you can see for an average assumption.

25 minutes ago, hi5lo5 said:

The website looks pretty.

Could you break the taboo of "Property is one way bet" by adding negative growth? I am sure that will happen for the next 5-10 years, we are in a bear market.

Thanks also - growth does go down to -5% per annum currently.

This just highlights compound interest.  It's great if you buy (bought?) at the right time.

Personally I'd include service charges <& ground rent>, as I think they will always increase regardless of whether house prices do - and should be considered.

Please change "Property Value" to "Property Price". The value is often vastly below what people are borrowing and what people pay. We need to break the misconception that what you are paying is exactly what it's "worth" and you're not helping :)

Or even better: "Asking Price" and then "Offer Amount" as a separate field, which is auto-filled to be 10% below the "Asking Price" :D

Growth goes from -5 to +20. Again that gives the lie to the "goes up on average" thing. Should be -20 to +20 or -50 to +50. etc.

Edited by mrtickle

this is interesting.

yes very nice, nice style.

ive been struggling to find a good calculator, particularly, i want a calculator like this that at different points u can change the interest rate, can separate the interest 2 the capital repayments, so i could make an amendment to the time line which i could use 2 find the best time 2 help remortgage + make any over payments 2 reduce the capital and assume a different interest from that point on. basically this would help me see how much extra interest i would pay if i was 2 delay overpaying on the mortgage, and how that interest would compound over the life of the mortgage.

so what i would like 2 do is right click on the graph, add an amendment in the time line, that then inputs the current balance figures (remaining mortgage balance, interest repayment 2 date and total paid as well as the property value, increase in value and equity), then i could add an over payment, new interest rate and growth rate, then continue on from that date. ye, that would be impressive graph guy.

I like it and I like the view / download data option

I'd like to see:

-start date from current month rather than jan 16

-the option of 2 interest rates so you can have, for instance, a discounted rate deal for up to 10 years followed by a standard rate.

-impact of over payments (so another box with a an additional monthly payment option) leading to a third line on your chart.

optional extra: a hard coded growth rate scenario using actual data - 1990 - 2015

This would allow some some volatility to be visible and it is something I have never seen.

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/housing-index