House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

'What happened to facing up to difficult things?': Universities are forced to issue 'trigger warnings' ahead of lectures and let students skip topics they may find troubling

'What happened to facing up to difficult things?': Universities are forced to issue 'trigger warnings' ahead of lectures and let students skip topics they may find troubling

UK universities are giving students permission to avoid subjects such as sex, suicide and religion if they find them 'too upsetting' in a move which has divided academics across the country.

I want to study things which don't upset me.  Life just needs to be happy! FFS.

Is this a phenomenon related to the numbers of young men migrating away from the world's trouble spots instead of staying and facing the fight?  

Where would we we be as a country if in WWs 1 & 2 if all the men of fighting age left for the USA?  Time the world grew a pair...and a backbone. B)

45 minutes ago, interestrateripoff said:

UK universities are giving students permission to avoid subjects such as sex, suicide and religion if they find them 'too upsetting' in a move which has divided academics across the country.

I want to study things which don't upset me.  Life just needs to be happy! FFS.

not exactly teaching "life skills" are they?

life sucks sometimes.....sh1t happens.....man up and deal with it.

My first lab lesson involved the demonstrator killing a guinea pig by breaking its neck. Anyone who didn't like it was advised to switch courses. One person did.

A sign that there are simply too many going to University, many of whom shouldn't. there. Idle minds able to fester and submit to peer pressure.

There were activists when I wentk minorities and a source of  bemusement.

Just now, Deft said:

My first lab lesson involved the demonstrator killing a guinea pig by breaking its neck. Anyone who didn't like it was advised to switch courses. One person did.

wow.

We had to dissect rat intestines to get DNA out for a biochem practical very early on. One girl left and changed courses at that point. We never touched a dead animal again. :)

8 minutes ago, One-percent said:

Perhaps a degree in fluffy kittens is needed

Are these students getting government grants or student loans out of my taxes?

If so, then I expect them to learn how to capture, kill and stuff these little fluffy kittens, otherwise they won't learn any skills to survive the coming apocalypse.

1 minute ago, Pooch said:

Are these students getting government grants or student loans out of my taxes?

If so, then I expect them to learn how to capture, kill and stuff these little fluffy kittens, otherwise they won't learn any skills to survive the coming apocalypse.

:lol:. Ok, scratch that one 

on a more serious note, whilst lecturers are having to avoid anything that may upset sensibilities, FE teachers are being instructed to teach 'British values' and to watch for and report any indications of radicalisation. Both way beyond the reach of an education system 

7 minutes ago, SarahBell said:

wow.

We had to dissect rat intestines to get DNA out for a biochem practical very early on. One girl left and changed courses at that point. We never touched a dead animal again. :)

Everyone had fair warning during application and interviews (Pharmacology). But there is nothing like a practical to reinforce it.

It started in the US when female soldiers were allowed to wear trainers instead of boots and they only had to do as much of the training courses as they could cope with. It then spread to both male and female recruits before travelling across the ocean to the UK and EU militaries.

Swedish unisex loos and male loos without urinals also have played their part.

Probaby started way back in the UK where boys could receive corporal punishment in school and girls did not. It always amazed me how girls were never physical punished back in my school days - female friends who went to Catholic schools tell me that they were - but having seen how turned on many women get by being spanked I do now understand why it was perhaps best not to give them a spanking when in school.

I might have digressed.

Fine to give trigger warnings - and allow students to switch courses if they wish. Trouble is it is likely to lead to self censoring by lecturers. Plus where do you stop. Lots of people are upset by lots of different things. Some may dislike nudity, spiders, violence of any kind etc. I got vertigo once watching the trailer for a climbing movie at the local cinema...

The first year of my degree involved a zoology course which involved dissecting animals that were still "responding". Horrible experience and completely irrelevant for the remainder of the degree. A number of us raised it with Head of Department after a number of other protests (I deliberately badly failed the practical and still went through to the second year without any problem). 

They scrapped the requirement the next year. 

How are these people going to do a history degree then? With all the macabre things that went on in the past? 

How will they research battles like Stalingrad or the Somme or the French Revolution? The Plague? 

General Pinochet & El Salvador? 

The Japanese occupation of Manchuria and the Burma railroad? 

2 hours ago, Deft said:

Wow.  A theology degree's a lot tougher than I'd realised...

2 hours ago, One-percent said:

:lol:. Ok, scratch that one 

on a more serious note, whilst lecturers are having to avoid anything that may upset sensibilities, FE teachers are being instructed to teach 'British values' and to watch for and report any indications of radicalisation. Both way beyond the reach of an education system 

Is that fown the FE colleges being ram packed full of business studiesstudents, who are just working down the chicken shsck to save money for their trip to Syria?

21 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Is that fown the FE colleges being ram packed full of business studiesstudents, who are just working down the chicken shsck to save money for their trip to Syria?

Government needs to look as if it is doing something. 

Perhaps we could set set up off topic to tour colleges teaching about British values.  Specialities include:

British history and the special relationship with neighbours. Xyy to discuss French spys

British culture. Ccc to discuss burds and booze

British food,. Me to discuss salmon poaching

any others?

9 minutes ago, One-percent said:

Government needs to look as if it is doing something. 

Perhaps we could set set up off topic to tour colleges teaching about British values.  Specialities include:

British history and the special relationship with neighbours. Xyy to discuss French spys

British culture. Ccc to discuss burds and booze

British food,. Me to discuss salmon poaching

any others?

The core of britsh culture is drinking - tax credits aside, thats why the Poles come here and, bar the odd hiccup, we get on with the Germans anf Dutch, who wierdly drink gin. And sikhs and Hindus- Johhny walker red label is not good whisky.

And winding up the French

Nothins sadder than seeing an empty pub in Bradford.

4 minutes ago, spyguy said:

The core of britsh culture is drinking - tax credits aside, thats why the Poles come here and, bar the odd hiccup, we get on with the Germans anf Dutch, who wierdly drink gin. And sikhs and Hindus- Johhny walker red label is not good whisky.

And winding up the French

Nothins sadder than seeing an empty pub in Bradford.

I must have some Dutch in my genes!

perhaps there is a causal correlation between the decline in pubs and the RoP?

15 minutes ago, One-percent said:

15 minutes ago, One-percent said:

Bradford and east lancs - yes!

1 hour ago, The Masked Tulip said:

What about doctors - can they avoid having to deal with sick people or looking at bodies?

I was at medical school with a guy who fainted while trying to take blood from a rubber arm.  He works in research now.

Edit:  In all seriousness, some people are very intelligent, caring, practical etc but just can't cope with guts and gore and it's important to have career options so their ability doesn't go to waste.

More relevant to the OP:  the lectures on child abuse come with a warning as some of the content is very nasty.

6 minutes ago, Will! said:

I was at medical school with a guy who fainted while trying to take blood from a rubber arm.  He works in research now.

Edit:  In all seriousness, some people are very intelligent, caring, practical etc but just can't cope with guts and gore and it's important to have career options so their ability doesn't go to waste.

More relevant to the OP:  the lectures on child abuse come with a warning as some of the content is very nasty.

Real life is messy.

I know someone who shone thru school and uni.

Come work, 9-5 grind, other people, etc, could not hack it, jacked it all in.

Work requires you to roll up yer sleeves and get mucked in.