House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

reddog

Where should I get my news from?

I was so disgusted with the Guardian coverage of Brexit I decided never to click on it again (apart from the Guardian football podcast)

With the coverage of the US election I am considering taking similar action for the BBC, Daily Mail and Telegraph (I was already very disenchanted)

But if I do that what should I use for a source of news, particularly fast breaking news.  I am keen on UK, Financial and International news.  I would like just news reported without a spin.

1 minute ago, reddog said:

I was so disgusted with the Guardian coverage of Brexit I decided never to click on it again (apart from the Guardian football podcast)

With the coverage of the US election I am considering taking similar action for the BBC, Daily Mail and Telegraph.

But if that 

On here!

1 minute ago, One-percent said:

On here!

What he said!

I check BBC and Russia Today as they're both fast loading. I accept that they're each heavily biased in their own way; RT is much more quick to report things and is one of the best sources for breaking news. The BBC spends a couple of hours working out its editorial view before publishing.

Then if I have time it's the slow-loading newspapers; The Telegraph used to be fast loading but is now advert-bloated and elements load at differential rates so unless I wait until absolutely everything has loaded I'll find myself clicking on the wrong story.

This site is pretty good for all types of news. Useless for ahead thinking on house prices etc. though

Be careful with the confirmation bias that you get by only reading sources which agree with what you already think.  It is healthy to be exposed to sources which challenge what you think.

Also, part of the purpose of news isn't to find out new things (easily done) but to discover what other people think about those things.

1 minute ago, dgul said:

Be careful with the confirmation bias that you get by only reading sources which agree with what you already think.  It is healthy to be exposed to sources which challenge what you think.

I just said I read the SJW scumbags that pump out the BBC's news output; how "healthy" do you want?

37 minutes ago, dgul said:

Also, part of the purpose of news isn't to find out new things (easily done) but to discover what other people think about those things.

Exactly why I read the bbc daily.

8 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

What he said!

I check BBC and Russia Today as they're both fast loading. I accept that they're each heavily biased in their own way; RT is much more quick to report things and is one of the best sources for breaking news. The BBC spends a couple of hours working out its editorial view before publishing.

Then if I have time it's the slow-loading newspapers; The Telegraph used to be fast loading but is now advert-bloated and elements load at differential rates so unless I wait until absolutely everything has loaded I'll find myself clicking on the wrong story.

Yes, I'd echo your comments on RT. But both in combo is quite balanced, as I think the BBC is just as biased as RT.

If I want real balance, I tend to stick to LBC. Not that any individual presenter is unbiased, but across the day (if I am driving to Manchester and back) they average out.

51 minutes ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Yes, I'd echo your comments on RT. But both in combo is quite balanced, as I think the BBC is just as biased as RT.

If I want real balance, I tend to stick to LBC. Not that any individual presenter is unbiased, but across the day (if I am driving to Manchester and back) they average out.

Same here ,the truth somwhere in the middle 

People tend to think bias in coverage is the main problem with the news. Unfortunately I think it is a bit more of a complex problem. It is not just how events are reported but what is reported that is an issue. The things presented to us as important by the the media may well not be the most significant events happening. It is the framing of the entire agenda that is so difficult to overcome. I suppose one way to try to balance the picture is simply to use Google's various national news streams in English . You will be surprised how different World news often looks when reported from U.S., Australian, South African or Indian perspective.

15 minutes ago, stormymonday_2011 said:

People tend to think bias in coverage is the main problem with the news. Unfortunately I think it is a bit more of a complex problem. It is not just how events are reported but what is reported that is an issue. The things presented to us as important by the the media may well not be the most significant events happening. It is the framing of the entire agenda that is so difficult to overcome. I suppose one way to try to balance the picture is simply to use Google's various national news streams in English . You will be surprised how different World news often looks when reported from U.S., Australian, South African or Indian perspective.

Good point stormy.  It is that  what that is the most concerning. Often, an event is posted on here, especially in terms of those recent spontaneous outbreaks of violence by loan wolf mentally ill people.  Yet no mention at all on the Beeb