House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

reddog

Where should I get my news from?

I was so disgusted with the Guardian coverage of Brexit I decided never to click on it again (apart from the Guardian football podcast)

With the coverage of the US election I am considering taking similar action for the BBC, Daily Mail and Telegraph.

But if that 

HPC OT will tell you everything.

Twitter can be a good source but gets noisy quite easily. I find thisismoney.co.uk fairly good for a quick overview of housing/pension stuff even if it is the DM. It's quite fun picking out the sponsored news items and vested interests desperately trying to promote a view - that can be more telling than the actual content. I hate the BBC andGuardian yet read them constantly (I clearly have a problem), BBC 'magazine' is the worst. RT often presents a more balanced view on certain issues, which says a lot about our media.

5 minutes ago, Glental said:

I hate the BBC andGuardian yet read them constantly (I clearly have a problem)

That used to be me, but the Guardian just went too far over Brexit, so I had to go cold turkey.  

20 minutes ago, reddog said:

That used to be me, but the Guardian just went too far over Brexit, so I had to go cold turkey.  

Sounds like a good plan. I think I'll try cold turkey seeing as I get so easily sucked in - I'm not sure these outlets are adding anything positive to my life!

Balance is the key..

BBC, The DT and the Guardian but balance them out with RT and mayb AJ.

The reality is probably somewhere in the middle.

BBC have too much of a monopoly in Uk, who would try to compete? Choice is very limited as a result.

HPC, Twitter, YouTube,  for the detail, BBC for headlines.

5 hours ago, Glental said:

Sounds like a good plan. I think I'll try cold turkey seeing as I get so easily sucked in - I'm not sure these outlets are adding anything positive to my life!

Journalists are funny buggers in that, um, they seem to be unfunny people. I mean, they seem to love misery. The news is almost always negative stuff - wars, unemployment, disease, accidents, terrorism, etc. Just look at the faces of TV news presenters when some awful event happens and they go into rolling non-stop coverage of a terror attack, plane crash, etc. Some of them you can almost see their eyes light up.

6 hours ago, reddog said:

I was so disgusted with the Guardian coverage of Brexit I decided never to click on it again (apart from the Guardian football podcast)

With the coverage of the US election I am considering taking similar action for the BBC, Daily Mail and Telegraph.

But if that 

I support Newcastle U.

If anyone knows a news outlet which reports them winning the prekrship and Europe for the5th consecutive year......?

14 minutes ago, StainlessSteelCat said:

Guaniad and Torygraph for me.  I'd love to find better UK based left wing/right wing alternatives for both, but if these are crap then the alternatives seem even worse. 

The tekegrapg paper is good. The website is terrible.

If you are looking for up to the minute news on breaking global Terror attack type stories then it's RT News or Al Jazeera only i'm afraid, all the other mainstream news channels seem to be under D notices to delay reporting & / or miss-report the facts to suit an agenda. 

In no particular order, I read:

• Private Eye
  • The Atlantic
  • BBC News
  • Bloomberg
  • Telegraph finance pages
  • Tribune
  • Occasionally London Review of Books
  • Very occasionally Financial Times

25 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Twitter banned Dilbert this week. You know that you are well on the road to the brown shirts, Hugo Boss designer clothing and jackboots again when Dilbert gets banned.

Googled this, ended up reading Scott Adams blog for a while, and will now be buying his book. So the twitter shadowban sold one of his books for him anyway...

4 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Googled this, ended up reading Scott Adams blog for a while, and will now be buying his book. So the twitter shadowban sold one of his books for him anyway...

Yes, I was talking to someone whom I consider to be one of the good journos this morning - she was shocked when I told her about the Dilbert ban. But she pointed out that it would lead the intelligent and unbiased to seek out the truth even more.

8 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Yes, I was talking to someone whom I consider to be one of the good journos this morning - she was shocked when I told her about the Dilbert ban. But she pointed out that it would lead the intelligent and unbiased to seek out the truth even more.

TBH as a matter of principle I shouldn't be visiting the BBC News site any more at all. Why give them your clicks when they're so biased. It's through habit if nothing else.

Will have to find an alternative 'go to' news site.

I'm actually finding Google Now gives me stories I am interested in,  just that I am not comfortable with that, but it does remind me where I parked the car. I also expect some stories are suppressed by Google.

16 minutes ago, Snagger said:

I'm actually finding Google Now gives me stories I am interested in,  just that I am not comfortable with that, but it does remind me where I parked the car. I also expect some stories are suppressed by Google.

Google learns your tastes and therefore tells you what it thinks you want to hear. Your mental wrong turns will therefore be, confirmed, reinforced and supported right until you drive off the cliff.

1 hour ago, Will! said:

In no particular order, I read:

• Private Eye
  • The Atlantic
  • BBC News
  • Bloomberg
  • Telegraph finance pages
  • Tribune
  • Occasionally London Review of Books
  • Very occasionally Financial Times

+1 for the Atlantic. It has a clear Liberal slant but the pieces it publishes are long and detailed enough to put different points of view in perspective. Also the quality of writing is very good.