Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

davidg

Nobel Peace Prize

Recommended Posts

They really do scrape the bottom of the barrel with this one most years

  • Columbian bloke whose peace plan has just been kicked into touch by the voters
  • Some emergency service workers in Syria (congrats but not really making any peace AFAIKS)
  • Greek islanders who encourage illegal immigration/rescue war victims (delete as appropriate). Give the events further north in Sweden and Germany not really doing much for peace in Europe I would say.
  • erm.... er, that's it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, davidg said:

They really do scrape the bottom of the barrel with this one most years

  • Columbian bloke whose peace plan has just been kicked into touch by the voters
  • Some emergency service workers in Syria (congrats but not really making any peace AFAIKS)
  • Greek islanders who encourage illegal immigration/rescue war victims (delete as appropriate). Give the events further north in Sweden and Germany not really doing much for peace in Europe I would say.
  • erm.... er, that's it

Rumour is that the white helmets in Syria are run by Al Qaeda. They'll get it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a prize without a purpose.

  • Would you give it to Neville Chamberlain who by his appeasement delayed a war, or to Winston Curchill who won a war?
  • To a conscientious objector who wouldn't fight or, to the Enola Gay crew who brought the war in the east to an end?

They really ought to just scrap it and divvy up the money amongst the proper prizes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

It's a prize without a purpose.

  • Would you give it to Neville Chamberlain who by his appeasement delayed a war, or to Winston Curchill who won a war?
  • To a conscientious objector who wouldn't fight or, to the Enola Gay crew who brought the war in the east to an end?

They really ought to just scrap it and divvy up the money amongst the proper prizes.

Or perhaps only award it when there are REALLY suitable candidates for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should have gone to Hitler - by not delaying the war for 4 or 5 years, and allowing German military technological leadership to become unstoppable, he probably saved the world from living under a 1,000 year Reich.

:blink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Should have gone to Hitler - by not delaying the war for 4 or 5 years, and allowing German military technological leadership to become unstoppable, he probably saved the world from living under a 1,000 year Reich.

:blink:

Which would itself have been peaceful!

If Russia and the US had defused the nuclear tension of the cold war by actually launching massive nuclear strikes then everything would have been peaceful afterwards and the fear of impending nuclear war would have gone.

The prize is a total nonsense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, AThirdWay said:

Rumour is that the white helmets in Syria are run by Al Qaeda. They'll get it.

I have never heard about the White helmets before, until they start to make headlines just recently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Should have gone to Hitler - by not delaying the war for 4 or 5 years, and allowing German military technological leadership to become unstoppable, he probably saved the world from living under a 1,000 year Reich.

:blink:

Speaking of tech leadership, did you know that the first man-made object in space was a German V2, in 1942? Incredible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why didn't they wait until next year for the Colombians to win? This is still a developing story and as has already been said, he actually failed to convince his population to implement it.

Wait until it's actually started and is proven successful. Seems insane to do it while its still an open topic.

Seems they want to keep the price current and fashionable - so it's worthless. They did the same with Obama - he won it before he'd even got through the first year of his presidency for some reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • The Prime Minister stated that there were three Brexit options available to the UK:   37 members have voted

    1. 1. Which of the Prime Minister's options would you choose?


      • Leave with the negotiated deal
      • Remain
      • Leave with no deal

    Please sign in or register to vote in this poll. View topic


×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.