House Price Crash Forum
TheCountOfNowhere

UK government to buy unsold new homes to spur construction

Homes, that can't be sold because of the insane prices are now going to be purchased by you and I, at full price no doubt.

http://www.hl.co.uk/news/2016/10/6/uk-government-to-buy-unsold-new-homes-to-spur-construction

This headline should read..."Tory government to buy unsold new homes, from their party funders, to pretend to spur construction but in order to keep their asset prices high and their donors rich".

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

7 minutes ago, Fully Detached said:

Fix the pretend problem whilst keeping the real one alive and well. Lolz at the people who thought these ***** would be any different to the last *****.

They are different..they're worse.

Each successive PM seems to make things much worse.

10 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

They are different..they're worse.

Each successive PM seems to make things much worse.

Yes, because politics is nothing but a popularity contest. All they can do is keep pulling pieces out of the Jenga stack and hope it doesn't all fall down on their watch. Someone will get crushed eventually.

From another angle its all well and good them saying to builders , build bigger developments but where I am there is shedloads of developments planned but sod all infrastructure and still they get signed off.If they are going to build larger developments then they need ot be garden city type projects will full planning not dumping estates on green belt land with single carriage way access , no new schools  and no doctors.

As for this scheme , 1) who decides the going rate for the properties the tax payer is funding 2) After the gov buys them how are they then distributed to people ?

Makes some sense, there's a quid pro quo:

It's about us going to a housebuilder and instead of expecting the normal build-out rate of 50 units a year, we'll say: 'We want you to build all 500 in one go, and what we'll do is guarantee to take them off you if you can't find a buyer'," Edward Lister, chairman of the Homes and Communities Agency, told Property Week

So, we are being told, there is a housing shortage, so prices are going up.

And now they are saying, developers have unsold properties.

Someone's lying and I think I know who.

Just now, TheCountOfNowhere said:

So, we are being told, there is a housing shortage, so prices are going up.

And now they are saying, developers have unsold properties.

Someone's lying and I think I know who.

Yes, yes. Look, the problem is that developers are highly talented people and although you might feel it's morally repugnant to give them tax payers money in order to keep their profits high, we need to ensure we keep that talent in the UK. Otherwise they might all take their talent somewhere else. Because developers are very highly mobile, and in high demand abroad, you see.

I thought this was going to be a Daily Mash story satirising BoE QE and gilt-buying.  The government would then demolish the houses after buying them "to stimulate further construction."

5 minutes ago, Si1 said:

Makes some sense, there's a quid pro quo:

It's about us going to a housebuilder and instead of expecting the normal build-out rate of 50 units a year, we'll say: 'We want you to build all 500 in one go, and what we'll do is guarantee to take them off you if you can't find a buyer'," Edward Lister, chairman of the Homes and Communities Agency, told Property Week

HOLY F***K, it';s worse than I thought.

PICK ANY F**KING PRICE YOU LIKE AND THE GOVERNMENT WILL HAVE TO PAY IT.

1 hour ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Homes, that can't be sold because of the insane prices are now going to be purchased by you and I, at full price no doubt.

http://www.hl.co.uk/news/2016/10/6/uk-government-to-buy-unsold-new-homes-to-spur-construction

This headline should read..."Tory government to buy unsold new homes, from their party funders, to pretend to spur construction but in order to keep their asset prices high and their donors rich".

It seems like a replacement for help to buy. I suppose at least they will build. But what would the government then sell the property for?

why don't they just go ahead and build the homes needed themselves? rather than the more expensive option of subsidising private sector?

2 minutes ago, 999house said:

Actually, I don't mind this scheme. 

The country as a whole will pay for this. Corp tax, Vat, income tax and so on. 

Why would you not mind it? It's using your taxes to ensure that new build houses remain more expensive than they would be in a free market.

4 minutes ago, 999house said:

Actually, I don't mind this scheme. 

The country as a whole will pay for this. Corp tax, Vat, income tax and so on. 

+1

Changed my mind.

Providing it doesn't favour one builder over another, it's transparent.

9 minutes ago, 999house said:

It seems like a replacement for help to buy. I suppose at least they will build. But what would the government then sell the property for?

why don't they just go ahead and build the homes needed themselves? rather than the more expensive option of subsidising private sector?

Tory ideology

12 minutes ago, AvoidDebt said:

'help to buy' has just become 'buy'. It was only a matter of time before the govt went balls deep, 100% into property. Its the only game in town. 

I think you are right.

They can now set the price and use our taxes to make themselves even richer.

What happens to the properties the buy...sold to their friends ?

Become council houses ?

Ok consider this

The government want to get high house building rates alongsidefalling prices.Short of building council houses this is one way of doing it.

3 minutes ago, Si1 said:

Ok consider this

The government want to get high house building rates alongsidefalling prices.Short of building council houses this is one way of doing it.

Falling prices....good one.

it's just another way of lining the pockets of the house builders ( aka tory party donors ). IMHO.

This is what I would persoanly term, fraud.

5 minutes ago, Si1 said:

Ok consider this

agreed

23 minutes ago, AvoidDebt said:

'help to buy' has just become 'buy'. It was only a matter of time before the govt went balls deep, 100% into property. Its the only game in town. 

Perhaps it's their (our) pension, innit?