House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lulu

Amber Rudd speech likened to Mein Kampf

So my Facebook has been lit up tonight with the suggestion that the Third Reich is returning.

I am confused though, how is this any different to the 'British jobs for British workers' claptrap we were exposed to by Gordon Brown? (except of course that it was a meaningless sound bite)

Is there something wrong about employing British people? Or am I missing something?

5 minutes ago, lulu said:

So my Facebook has been lit up tonight with the suggestion that the Third Reich is returning.

I am confused though, how is this any different to the 'British jobs for British workers' claptrap we were exposed to by Gordon Brown? (except of course that it was a meaningless sound bite)

Is there something wrong about employing British people? Or am I missing something?

Wacist!

Yes, Gordo gave that soundbite when 9 in 10 new jobs were going to foreigners. We were then informed we had to suck it up because of our EU membership. Talk being cheap.

Maybe Rudd's talk is cheap too. Might be handy to know who is here. At least now EU less of a problem and no excuse.

Right idea, wrong words.

Just go out and say 'Tax credits were a total fckup brought by Brown'

We are rolling them back.

No more subbed jobs and housign benefit for non UK nationals.

We welcome EUers who work and support themselves and make net contribution to the UK tax base.

A part of this, we now require all EUers to have a job offer, paying at least 40k.

We are introducing a  contriubtion system for EUers using the NHS and education system.

All EUers will be required to pay 5k towards NHS and 7K per child for education.

The Tories are proposing something that will get quiet approval from those ghastly uneducated Northern working class people.

Labour vigorously denounces it - together with the CBI.

It's just another day in the la-la-land of British politics!

2 hours ago, spyguy said:

Right idea, wrong words.

Just go out and say 'Tax credits were a total fckup brought by Brown'

We are rolling them back.

No more subbed jobs and housign benefit for non UK nationals.

We welcome EUers who work and support themselves and make net contribution to the UK tax base.

A part of this, we now require all EUers to have a job offer, paying at least 40k.

We are introducing a  contriubtion system for EUers using the NHS and education system.

All EUers will be required to pay 5k towards NHS and 7K per child for education.

Next step. Annexing Czechoslovakia.

10 minutes ago, Si1 said:

Next step. Annexing Czechoslovakia.

We dont need to invade any EE country.

Most of the population is over here FFS.

If Hitler was around these days and felt like invading Poland his tanks would probably get confused and enter the East end of Edinburgh en masse.

:)

Shows what a grubby pisstake the whole Govt has become when ministers of the crown are getting involved in highly personal attacks on individual firms. Rudd has taken a furniture firm to task over recruitment policies, which the firm disputes. Why she feels it is a useful spectacle is not clear. If she thinks recruitment practices are rotten because they favour certain groups, then argue coherently to change it FFS, rather than get involved in petty spats. Is she going to attempt to publicly admonish every outfit she has a beef with?!

Easier than blaming the previous Home Secretary I guess..

The sad part is that the left don't even seem to realise that, every time they claim someone is 'the new Hitler', they're just de-demonizing the Nazis.

Then again, the new left is full of anti-semites, so perhaps that's the idea.

What people need to do is start removing the State Benefits and Work Programmes that encourage people to abuse our Nation. This can be done without ever even mentioning Immigration, Race, Culture etc. If we are no longer a target for Scroungers then they will pass us by and leech onto another European Nation.

58 minutes ago, Renewed Investor said:

What people need to do is start removing the State Benefits and Work Programmes that encourage people to abuse our Nation. This can be done without ever even mentioning Immigration, Race, Culture etc. If we are no longer a target for Scroungers then they will pass us by and leech onto another European Nation.

You can have multiculturalism or the welfare state but not both. The NHS, state schooling, welfare payments and state pensions are all going to come to a grinding halt in the not too distant future. Multicultural societies have low social trust and corrupt institutions. We're going to end up with an impoverished and powerless mass ruled over by a rich elite. The middle class will be gone.

It's a bit rich of Amber Rudd to criticise a business for employing foreigners. They have a legal duty to maximise shareholder value, that means using cheap labour if it's available. It's not their fault the government opened the floodgates to the whole world.

I remember having a discussion with an MP at the DTI in about 2012; I was moaning about how difficult it was to get suitably qualified engineers in the UK.

'Just import them from Germany' was the response.

I didn't take their advice, but I'd be a bit cross if I had and less than 5 years later they started criticising my employment practices.

6 hours ago, dgul said:

I remember having a discussion with an MP at the DTI in about 2012; I was moaning about how difficult it was to get suitably qualified cheap? engineers in the UK.

'Just import them from Germany' was the response.

I didn't take their advice, but I'd be a bit cross if I had and less than 5 years later they started criticising my employment practices.

You wouldn't get them from Germany they get paid relatively good wages in Germany or at least they used to.  From places like India perhaps or these days even EE - or use unqualified people.  That's the usual modus operandi in Britain.

Just saying.

6 hours ago, billybong said:

You wouldn't get them from Germany they get paid relatively good wages in Germany or at least they used to.  From places like India perhaps or these days even EE - or use unqualified people.  That's the usual modus operandi in Britain.

Just saying.

Sadly, thats true.

Do we need to know which firms employ migrants?

I suspect it's useful information for a government to have - and to know the skill shortages that would happen if those people were asked to leave.

t'internet brings up UR at 5.4% Feb 2015.
Are we just better at fudging the numbers? (Does anyone has stats for people on sick etc in other EU countries ?) 

Unemployment rate elsewhere
Republic of Ireland
9.9% ‎(Feb 2015)
Spain
23.1% ‎(Feb 2015)
France
10.5% ‎(Feb 2015)

Germany's is 4.2% (Jun 2016)

Unemployment rate elsewhere
Greece
25.6% ‎(Mar 2015)
Austria
5.7% ‎(Apr 2015)
Italy
12.4% ‎(Apr 2015)

Re unemployment rates a lot of the reason for their being low here is down to part time and zero hours contracts. Average wages of the bottom 20% of earners are on the floor compared to the 1990s so they have to receive in work benefits to survive; they'd probably be better off being unemployed.

18 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Re unemployment rates a lot of the reason for their being low here is down to part time and zero hours contracts. Average wages of the bottom 20% of earners are on the floor compared to the 1990s so they have to receive in work benefits to survive; they'd probably be better off being unemployed.

He points out that this flexibility is envied by employers in struggling economies such as Spain and Greece, where potential costs may dissuade employers from taking on staff.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23573442

So are people happier working for 'nothing' than not working at all?

1 hour ago, SarahBell said:

He points out that this flexibility is envied by employers in struggling economies such as Spain and Greece, where potential costs may dissuade employers from taking on staff.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23573442

So are people happier working for 'nothing' than not working at all?

We seem to have drifted into a slave economy where people are forced by financial circumstance into taking jobs on minimum wage with no security and no guarantee of a regular level of income.  In my experience this is primarily mothers with young children who can only work limited hours and younger people because of their lack of work skills.

Long term unemployment, and Spain's employment rate for younger people is through the roof, is probably worse but people are being denied "proper" jobs (those with set hours and the opportunity to move above minimum wage) because to the unskilled these slave jobs are the only option.

7 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

We seem to have drifted into a slave economy where people are forced by financial circumstance into taking jobs on minimum wage with no security and no guarantee of a regular level of income.  In my experience this is primarily mothers with young children who can only work limited hours and younger people because of their lack of work skills.

Long term unemployment, and Spain's employment rate for younger people is through the roof, is probably worse but people are being denied "proper" jobs (those with set hours and the opportunity to move above minimum wage) because to the unskilled these slave jobs are the only option.

Hard one.

Im dead against zero hoyr contractd. Just too easy to abuse.

But the employment laws in spain and greece are stupidly in favour of insiders, mainly 40+. The young, a lot of whom are not young anymore, get screwed.

40 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Hard one.

Im dead against zero hoyr contractd. Just too easy to abuse.

But the employment laws in spain and greece are stupidly in favour of insiders, mainly 40+. The young, a lot of whom are not young anymore, get screwed.

But you have to remember the opposite side of the zero hour contract.

I've got two employees on zero hours at the moment.  Both earn over £400 a day (8 hours) and are just as likely to turn work down as I am to spring work upon them.  They take home about £10-15k pa (from me) -- for them it is a nice extra income but not at all essential for them to maintain their lifestyle.  They don't want a normal employment contract.  

I'd say the problem is with exploitative contracts -- but these are much more difficult to define properly and to police.

2 minutes ago, dgul said:

But you have to remember the opposite side of the zero hour contract.

I've got two employees on zero hours at the moment.  Both earn over £400 a day (8 hours) and are just as likely to turn work down as I am to spring work upon them.  They take home about £10-15k pa (from me) -- for them it is a nice extra income but not at all essential for them to maintain their lifestyle.  They don't want a normal employment contract.  

I'd say the problem is with exploitative contracts -- but these are much more difficult to define properly and to police.

I know. 0h are exceptional contacts, not everyday ones to d1ck people around.

Not sure what the solution is, but 0h for people on NMW is not it.