House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

man o' the year

An exciting day!

Was woken this morning at 5:30am to clinking gas bottles being stolen from our hotel. In chef's trousers only! went out to find a car driving off. I quickly grabbed my keys and gave chase, catching him up, (we are in a rural area). Struggling to keep up I recorded a short bit of video with me saying his car reg so that I could remember and it was also visible briefly on footage. Then lost him as I phoned police. All credit to them as armed with my info he was apprehended at home with gas bottles still in his car at 6am.

He was driving surprisingly fast to say he had 2 47kg propanes in his Mondeo. All for less than £100 worth (we pay about £48 including a bottle). Needless to say gas bottles are now chained together and we will hasten the CCTV which had been "one day we will" decision.

Detective arrived to take my statement by noon and is coming back tomorrow to retrieve  a copy of my video.

Phew! 

Always amazes me when people put so much effort into stealing low value items.

2 hours ago, Bossybabe said:

Great sleuthing!  Any chance you could visit me and detect who stole my black bin???:unsure:

Sorry about that but it looked so much nicer than my green one.

CCTV is really a deterrent as it's hard to get it to effectively read car numberplates or produce images you can clearly identify anyone from. It can often result in little more than you being able to impotently watch stuff being nicked the next day.

Gas bottles are an easy target and also a Pikey magnet. Someone I know made a special bracket that secured in several places with car locking alloy wheel nuts which was more effective than a cage with a padlock.