House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Crumbless

Prince Charles - Sustainable living

These are the "Sustainable development" homes Prince Charles is flogging on his land

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?locationIdentifier=REGION^20208&numberOfPropertiesPerPage=24&radius=0.0&sortType=1&index=0&includeSSTC=false&viewType=LIST&mustHave=newHome&areaSizeUnit=sqft&currencyCode=GBP

1 bed flats in the middle of nowhere starting at £241K, i truly despair if he really thinks this is sustainable living.

It should be £41K to buy such a flat, i despair!

Urban living is more sustainable and environmentally friendly owing to the economies of scale of having services very close together. And Camilla says she wouldn't cook on anything other than an aga, apparently. That's sustainable.

Doesnt he have an Aston Martin DB9 and various large houses around the country?

Hardly living in a Yurt and using a donkey cart?

He would need to pay his workers in the region of £80,000 a year to farm his fields.

And a 50% pay rise for those that have kids.

Wonder if he'll see that as sustainable.

18 minutes ago, Grumpysod said:

I had a reminder yesterday in Cambridge on how the housing crisis could be dealt with in no time if only we changed our love affair with brick. I am doing some work  for a German consortium who are buying up loads of land around Cambridge with one house and building another one upwards, five is the record so far.

Yesterday I nipped over to South Cambridge to look at a structure and a massive 4 bedroomed house that was put up in less than two days(kit form), I would have gone for look anyway even though I have the job in order just to be nosey, the roof, electrics, plumbing windows and all the thrills need to go in, but basically there is a house now standing on the plot, and it looks great and solid.

Its in a nice area that I know well called  Shelford and they are looking between £500k to £600k once completed. I had to ask for the price of the structure/ pre fab, not sure what to call it. He asked me to guess and I said £140k, I know I went over as I did not want to offend, but I did think £100k. He told me £28k.

I know we are being screwed for the price of land in the UK, but this made me think by how much. We all need an area to live, that is a fact, and we should get that area/land and how hard we work determines what house we live in. The money we are all earning could buy the houses we all want, there is a corrupt institution in the UK that is controlling all that for their own gains.

I always remember the housing market from 20 plus years ago, things were far easier back then for those starting out. But more than once I heard stories of go getting people who travelled, many would say 5 years graft in Australia and you were set for life in a palace, that's how it should be.

Got a couple of friends who where lucky enough to get a piece of land from there family at a very cheap price
They have a 3 story timber framed town house which has lovely sized rooms which cost them around 100k for house, roof tiled and plaster boarded inside and out
think windows where separate company but still was cool watching go up over the course of a week

39 minutes ago, Grumpysod said:

I had a reminder yesterday in Cambridge on how the housing crisis could be dealt with in no time if only we changed our love affair with brick. I am doing some work  for a German consortium who are buying up loads of land around Cambridge with one house and building another one upwards, five is the record so far.

Yesterday I nipped over to South Cambridge to look at a structure and a massive 4 bedroomed house that was put up in less than two days(kit form), I would have gone for look anyway even though I have the job in order just to be nosey, the roof, electrics, plumbing windows and all the thrills need to go in, but basically there is a house now standing on the plot, and it looks great and solid.

Its in a nice area that I know well called  Shelford and they are looking between £500k to £600k once completed. I had to ask for the price of the structure/ pre fab, not sure what to call it. He asked me to guess and I said £140k, I know I went over as I did not want to offend, but I did think £100k. He told me £28k.

I know we are being screwed for the price of land in the UK, but this made me think by how much. We all need an area to live, that is a fact, and we should get that area/land and how hard we work determines what house we live in. The money we are all earning could buy the houses we all want, there is a corrupt institution in the UK that is controlling all that for their own gains.

I always remember the housing market from 20 plus years ago, things were far easier back then for those starting out. But more than once I heard stories of go getting people who travelled, many would say 5 years graft in Australia and you were set for life in a palace, that's how it should be.

The cost of production of new housing is entirely irrelevant.  Yes, they can build houses as cheap and flimsy as they want, but that's not going to make housing affordable because it's all a question of planning permission and the cost of land with planning permission.

47 minutes ago, Grumpysod said:

Ta for that. Were they built with SIPS panels  ? 

7 minutes ago, Errol said:

Does Prince Charles live sustainably?

No he's a hypocrite.

I just love the way his organisation thinks us plebs should only be allowed to build houses his ilk deem suitable

Granted i can see where he is coming from, but us plebs aren't really in a position to spend another £40K on build costs so his wife can enjoy the view when driving through Plebsville.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/2016/10/04/letters-low-quality-housing-schemes-make-it-quite-reasonable-to/

SIR – We applaud Sajid Javid’s support for the Accelerated Construction scheme to welcome new developers to the market.

We also share his frustration about Nimbys unintentionally helping to perpetuate the reactive planning system and over-inflated house prices we have in this country. That said, the general quality of new development over the last 70 years has been appalling and hardly inspires confidence.

At present it is therefore perfectly reasonable for the default setting to be a Nimby until and unless a land owner and their chosen developer can prove to local communities that the quality of any proposed scheme will not be diluted after planning is granted.

With the current competitive land-buying process and the prevalence of volume house-builders delivering new homes, once the land sale or option agreement has been struck for “best value” it’s often game over for dreaming of great community infrastructure and nicely built new homes.

To build trust and convince the Nimbys that good place-making is actually possible, what we need is to separate out those cases where a high-quality scheme is made possible by capturing some of the increase in land value and other cases where schemes simply apply the “standard model”.

If communities understood better this key part of the process and how “sustainable development” was assessed, then we might stand a chance of building new places that people actually like.

Ben Bolgar
Senior Director, The Prince’s Foundation for Building Community
London EC2

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3665078/The-1bn-prince-Flowers-farms-help-send-Charles-s-assets-soaring-record-high-salary-goes-past-20m-time.html

According to the latest financial review, the Duchy now boasts holdings across 23 counties in England and Wales and recently bought a £35million commercial warehouse in Milton Keynes, let to B&Q, as well as the Port Eliot estate in Cornwall.

Among other assets helping to make Charles a billionaire – on paper at least – are £365million worth of agricultural land, which includes more than 700 individual lettings over 81,000 acres. 

And according to sources, the prince has made it his personal mission to meet every one of his tenants.

The Duchy also owns 5,700 acres of woodland said to be worth £18million. Other resources include historic estates – such as Charles’s Welsh home, Llwynywermod – marine assets, sporting lets, playgrounds and even allotments and garages worth £28million.

Its properties in London include 23 houses and the Oval cricket ground. 

Then there is Poundbury, Charles’ model town in Dorchester, 67,460 acres of Dartmoor, and flower farms on the Isles of Scilly.

Deserves every penny of his billion pound fortune so he does.

He aspired to build a Georgian Trumpton  and what he got was complete legoland shit. They could do it 250 years ago, we can't to it now, it's called progress.

He thought he was getting a Gainsborough but ended up with a Tracey Emin unmade bed.

Edited by crashmonitor