House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

xmas joys

Well early october, and I've had:

1. Pleasure of simmering tension at work because the dept wants a xmas do, but teams want their own xmas do, and people can't resolve whether they must/could do both.... jeez folk, sort it out!

2. Stress of trying to explain to the various family components that we can't all meet up every year ... once people get married and have kids there are now in-laws, the family of the in-laws, the in-laws of the in-laws ... the siblings of the in-laws in-laws ... As an anti-social curmudgeon I would like to be at home with just wife and kids, but that suggestion is like asking a (bad) boomer to drop their asking price.

On a positive note I have recently discovered joys of frozen roasties & yorkshires, plus realised instant gravy is not a bad substitute. AND I get to bring my xmas albums out soon :)

1. Get the big boss to site budget cuts and related seasonal downtime post-drinking as a reason to not have any. People who like each other can arrange their own get together. 

2. Say you want a family Christmas for your own little family. Arrange a drink and mince pie with the rest but nothing else and not during Christmas week.

11 hours ago, SarahBell said:

1. Get the big boss to site budget cuts and related seasonal downtime post-drinking as a reason to not have any. People who like each other can arrange their own get together. 

2. Say you want a family Christmas for your own little family. Arrange a drink and mince pie with the rest but nothing else and not during Christmas week.

Agreed!

By the way ... 21000 posts!?!?!? you're a dark horse!

11 hours ago, Mrs Bear said:

There were mince pies in Sainsbury's yesterday.  

I know it's never going to happen, but it'd be nice to get Hallowe'en and Bonfire Night over first. 

No doubt with november sell by dates!

44 minutes ago, hiace_drifter said:

No doubt with november sell by dates!

Yes, they were on offer early last year so I was going to get them in but saw the sell by date was well in advance of Christmas.

I should try making my own but the pastry on the shop ones is just better than homemade.

49 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Yes, they were on offer early last year so I was going to get them in but saw the sell by date was well in advance of Christmas.

I should try making my own but the pastry on the shop ones is just better than homemade.

This post is obvious Winkie bait.

12 hours ago, hiace_drifter said:

Agreed!

By the way ... 21000 posts!?!?!? you're a dark horse!

Blinking heck. How did that happen? It is since 2004 though. :)

On ‎05‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 5:39 AM, hiace_drifter said:

Well early october, and I've had:

1. Pleasure of simmering tension at work because the dept wants a xmas do, but teams want their own xmas do, and people can't resolve whether they must/could do both.... jeez folk, sort it out!

2. Stress of trying to explain to the various family components that we can't all meet up every year ... once people get married and have kids there are now in-laws, the family of the in-laws, the in-laws of the in-laws ... the siblings of the in-laws in-laws ... As an anti-social curmudgeon I would like to be at home with just wife and kids, but that suggestion is like asking a (bad) boomer to drop their asking price.

On a positive note I have recently discovered joys of frozen roasties & yorkshires, plus realised instant gravy is not a bad substitute. AND I get to bring my xmas albums out soon :)

Yep the biggest nightmare for me was the in laws trying to involve us with Christmas dinner. Spoilt Christmas for me because it wasn't offered gladly and you were there to be told off that you hadn't done enough. Rather  not be beholdent to anyone and just do the Christmas diiner myself and a smaller circle, which is what we do now. I think some people make Christams dinner too complicated and it causes rows. A chef can cook for 100, but get a layman on the job and they get bloody stressed and shouty over 12.

Well tbh my mother never did, she did it seamlessly, which I try to do too. The inlaws introduced this row thing and not coping and trying to involve too many cooks. It only takes one cook, anything else is six people to change a lightbulb.

23 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Shop pasty is too thick!  To me anyway. 

I make mine with thin pastry and loads of filling. 

First batch usually on 1st December.  

12 hours ago, crashmonitor said:

Yep the biggest nightmare for me was the in laws trying to involve us with Christmas dinner. Spoilt Christmas for me because it wasn't offered gladly and you were there to be told off that you hadn't done enough. Rather  not be beholdent to anyone and just do the Christmas diiner myself and a smaller circle, which is what we do now. I think some people make Christams dinner too complicated and it causes rows. A chef can cook for 100, but get a layman on the job and they get bloody stressed and shouty over 12.

Well tbh my mother never did, she did it seamlessly, which I try to do too. The inlaws introduced this row thing and not coping and trying to involve too many cooks. It only takes one cook, anything else is six people to change a lightbulb.

I can never understand the fuss about Christmas dinner.  It's just a glorified roast, and roasts are easy.  

And you can take the turkey out up to an hour before serving since it'll keep hot for ages, which gives you plenty of time to cook veggies and make proper gravy (with giblet stock that you've already boiled up).  

Mind you I did have a bit of a disaster one year, when I'd had so much Buck's Fizz I completely forgot the potatoes. Dinner was about an hour and a half late, but I don't think anybody cared.  All the better for waiting. 

21 minutes ago, DEATH said:

The selection boxes are already out.

That reminds me of a comment made by one of my mates - who's a Technician where I work - regarding one of my colleagues in Engineering.

"He's alright - but loves to keep information to himself. You have to give him a selection-box to get a friggin' Mars Bar back..!"

;)

XYY

9 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

That reminds me of a comment made by one of my mates - who's a Technician where I work - regarding one of my colleagues in Engineering.

"He's alright - but loves to keep information to himself. You have to give him a selection-box to get a friggin' Mars Bar back..!"

;)

XYY

People in Engineering with esoteric knowledge they can't possibly impart to anyone else, probably know nothing, and are in awe of the apprentice who can solder properly! I know, for I have seen them.:mellow:

On 6 October 2016 at 9:55 PM, Mrs Bear said:

I can never understand the fuss about Christmas dinner.  It's just a glorified roast, and roasts are easy.  

And you can take the turkey out up to an hour before serving since it'll keep hot for ages, which gives you plenty of time to cook veggies and make proper gravy (with giblet stock that you've already boiled up).  

Mind you I did have a bit of a disaster one year, when I'd had so much Buck's Fizz I completely forgot the potatoes. Dinner was about an hour and a half late, but I don't think anybody cared.  All the better for waiting. 

Agreed, infact I do little more than a roast dinner every year. The only real addition is stuffing and pigs in blankets. I do meats to last from Christmas Eve to at least Boxing Day. I cook chicken, boil my own ham and we traditionally make a meat loaf courtesy of the Heinz recipe book. 

One year I was sick in bed and the kids couldn't care less that they didn't have a roast. Beans on toast was sufficient.

+1. Christmas dinner isn't about cooking. It is planning, timing and organisation.  Btw the turkey will stay hot for at least three hours.  Even a roast chicken, if covered, will be great an hour after taking out of the oven. Make sure the plates are warm and the gravy is piping hot and all will be good.

8 minutes ago, CunningPlan said:

+1. Christmas dinner isn't about cooking. It is planning, timing and organisation.  Btw the turkey will stay hot for at least three hours.  Even a roast chicken, if covered, will be great an hour after taking out of the oven. Make sure the plates are warm and the gravy is piping hot and all will be good.

Agreed.

But surely keeping the beer flowing is also a vital part of any successful Christmas-dinner strategy...?

;)

XYY

10 hours ago, CunningPlan said:

True.  I start on the fizz because I don't like it much.  Hitting the Rioja at 11am is not the best plan.  Lesson learned from experience.

Exactly. Christmas day time is sherry and fizz; neither of which I like sufficiently to guzzle and so risk getting pissed.

On 05/10/2016 at 10:35 PM, SNACR said:

This post is obvious Winkie bait.

Actually I quite enjoy making mince pies, last year I also made the mince pie filling, turned out really well.....got myself a star cutter looks pretty and cuts out on too much pastry and not enough filling. ;)

almondymincepies_14566_16x9.jpg

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

They look too good to eat winkie!

Could have got some six pointed stars for MrPin's Jewish Christmas.:blink:

On 10/6/2016 at 9:55 PM, Mrs Bear said:

My key to cooking turkey is to debone it (legs and all) and re assemble with sausage meat and onion stuffing and bacon and sausagemeat between the skin and the meat, tied up with string to resemble a roast of beef.

Did it for the first time last year, I had just quite fancied trying to debone a turkey to see if I could. 

Honestly the nicest turkey I have ever had, moist, easy to calve and even the leg/wing meat was delicious. Easier to cook too, meat thermometer in the middle up to temperature and because it is a solid unit no worries about some parts cooking much quicker than the rest.