House Price Crash Forum

Kate Faulkner on BBC breakfast with pro landlord propaganda.

HOLA441

Foot nearly through the TV this morning.

Seems as though she was on there to defend landlords with respect to removal of BTL mortgage interest: They have had a tough couple of years, people say they're greedy, but actually they are just providing a service, they are providing homes, blah blah. They are buying houses that most people can't afford to (no shit). Apparently, many landlords are converting property into boutique hotel rooms to rent, and creating flats/rooms that are "lovely and cost effective". Hardly any arguments to the contrary from Steph. Whats the deal with this Kate Faulkner? 

HOLA442

She's a professional housing commentator, entirely wrapped up in the boom. She is not an independent minded economist. How was she introduced on they programme?

From her bio on Landlordzone:

Publishing her own books including the ‘Buy to Let’, ‘Making Money from Property’, and ‘Renovating a Property Guide’ series, Kate authored the ‘Which?’ property guides for ten years; is regularly interviewed by the BBC, ITV, GMTV, Radio 4, and Radio 5 Live; and was the Telegraph’s Buy to Let Expert. Kate’s expertise combines her own experience of buying, selling, renting, and letting and her experience of property investment and industry consultancy. She initiated one of the UK’s first property portals; created a successful new relocation tool; established the Self Build and Renovation Centre; and grew a prosperous part-exchange business trading properties daily. Kate helps select property industry companies improve communication with investors via new products and services, providing newsletters, guides and investment training.

Read more at: http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/landlordzone-industry-experts-guest-writers/kate-faulkner-bio#
Copyright © LandlordZONE® - Follow us on Twitter @LandlordZONE

HOLA443

I did see this. 

i was was actually quite happy with it, anything that spreads the message of impending doom for many a BTL being spread is good. 

Something like a 58% drop in people looking for BTL. 

screws are tightening. 

gov is starting to talk about building. 

see what happens. 

the bbc this morning was a bit of a joke, anyone can see that BTL are greedy and do bid up prices 

HOLA444
HOLA445

I watched this and wasn't remotely surprised that none of her assertions were challenged.

Logically, what she was saying didn't make sense but Steph just nodded along.  I take satisfaction that if people like this Kate are coming out of the woodwork then people (property geniuses) are getting jumpy...

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
12 minutes ago, bomberbrown said:

I used to think she was quite independent/unbiased thinking. After watching her this morning, how wrong was I.  

Must. Control. Myself.

And she's never been away.  Highly highly active.   Want some KF HTB (2014) on BBC Breakfast News?

https://www.property118.com/maximise-buy-to-let-returns-with-advice-from-real-property-experts/90491/

wuH6gNkx.jpg

HOLA4410

40 minutes ago, Si1 said:

How was she introduced on they programme?

I can't remember that part, sorry.

33 minutes ago, jiltedjen said:

Ah, that was nice- my anger at the exchange that followed made me forget about that. 

HOLA4411

Saw i t too. The bit about chopping up previously nice family homes into little sections so you can share a bathroom and kitchen with 7 other complete strangers for a fortune a week really should have been challenged. Smiley face all through as if this was brilliant progress.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
2 hours ago, jiltedjen said:

I did see this. 

i was was actually quite happy with it, anything that spreads the message of impending doom for many a BTL being spread is good. 

screws are tightening.

A post that stuck with me (Byron?) was about the BTLers being trapped in their predicament.  The more they whine, the more the general public glory hpiers-BTLers will see sentiment turn, cooling the housing market or at least the value of their BTLs.

Patrick Connolly, a certified financial planner at Chase De Vere, the independent advisers, said buy-to-let is potentially very risky.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/ask-a-money-expert/we-have-inherited-300000---should-we-invest-in-buy-to-let/

Says ISAs and pensions.

HOLA4415
4 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Is she on the BBC ?

Nuff said.

4 hours ago, Venger said:

Must. Control. Myself.

And she's never been away.  Highly highly active.   Want some KF HTB (2014) on BBC Breakfast News?

https://www.property118.com/maximise-buy-to-let-returns-with-advice-from-real-property-experts/90491/

My bad!  I think I must have got Kate Faulkner muddled up with Merryn Somerset-Webb.  Doh!

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
1 hour ago, Democorruptcy said:

The utterly repugnant Biased Broadcasting Corporation is going to be regulated by OFCOM instead of it's own self serving, waste of space BBC Trust.

OFCOM may not be ready by the Jan 2017 target, could be April 2017

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/jul/25/ofcom-bbc-watchdog-bbc-trust-charter

Good that we have to pay another load of liberal home counties folk to tell us the BBC is impartial.

Edited by Crumbless

HOLA4422
4 hours ago, bomberbrown said:

My bad!  I think I must have got Kate Faulkner muddled up with Merryn Somerset-Webb.  Doh!

Ah; that would make more sense (imo).  I don't usually ever have to question your hpc posts!  You're a hpc mind.  MSW gets my respect for being a switched-on and concerned HPC mind, well into the run up to the credit crunch 2007-08.

Whilst few of us knew all the ins-and-outs of how the credit/borrowing was being created (and secured on behalf of creditors to the debt.... AAA+ nonsense) - she sensed it was reaching a danger point.  And so it came, and so global system QE'd/zirped/FLS'd/project merlin'd out of it, imo.

Demand is intrinsically linked to affordability, and that’s linked to how much banks are prepared to lend and how much people are prepared to borrow.

Demand for housing is a very flexible thing. Saying something isn’t going to happen because it hasn’t happened yet doesn’t really make any sense.  That’s like saying because I haven’t died yet I won’t, but I guess I probably will. And a housing crash is much the same. Something not happening simply makes it more likely that it will, rather than it won’t, if the conditions are in place, and the conditions are in place.

Markets are driven at the margin. They’re driven by people who have to buy or people who have to sell. So when you get to the point when there are people who must sell, and that will come, then prices fall across the board because not many people have to be forced to sell at a low price to push values down.

Merryn Somerset Webb

ITV Tonight Show - 2006 I think.

HOLA4423
5 hours ago, bomberbrown said:

There is nothing that MSW could possibly have done to deserve that.

Faulkner is just a renta-gob; an example of the worst kind of media "property expert" - very narrow expertise relating to making a living off some aspect of the buying, selling and renting of property which is parlayed into more general expertise simply by appearing in the media described as an expert. As I flagged previously, she told me on the twitters that the building societies aren't CML members. With that level of expertise on offer from your experts, you'd be well advised to do your own research.

HOLA4424

I didn't see the section with K Faulkner but it does appear that BBC Breakfast tend to fail to put both the 'for' and 'against' into the argument. BBC Breakfast could have asked a rep from Generation Rent or Priced Out, for example.

HOLA4425