House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

The missing airman

I feel sure though that DAESH or ISIS would be trumpeting about it if they did kidnap him. And who'd want to handle a very drunk serviceman?  Not me!

He's drowned in a ditch is my guess. 

28 minutes ago, Bossybabe said:

I feel sure though that DAESH or ISIS would be trumpeting about it if they did kidnap him. And who'd want to handle a very drunk serviceman?  Not me!

He's drowned in a ditch is my guess. 

actually, if you want the official serviceman instruction manual, you are "encouraged" not to get plastered for exactly such a reason.

en vino es veritas and all that.

People do go missing; there was an appeal today down here for two separate ones.  From the footage he was just a bloke in a pub indistinguishable from any other.

He was from RAF Mildenhall which is not far from the other base where the attempted abduction allegedly took place. 

I think Mildenhall has made headlines in the recent past.

Police have seized a bin lorry believing the guys phone is in the truck, cargo only weighs 15kg so they dont think the guy is in the truck.

Reports he tried to walk the 3hrs back to base drunk. 

My uncle went missing on his way home from work in 1951. He was found six weeks later dead on a railway line 50 miles away. The death certificate makes grisly reading. My dad always believed it was PTSD following his WW2 experiences. Fortunately for the family in those unenlightened days it wasn't found to be suicide. 

On 3 October 2016 at 5:31 PM, workingpoor said:

He was from RAF Mildenhall which is not far from the other base where the attempted abduction allegedly took place. 

I think Mildenhall has made headlines in the recent past.

Police have seized a bin lorry believing the guys phone is in the truck, cargo only weighs 15kg so they dont think the guy is in the truck.

Reports he tried to walk the 3hrs back to base drunk. 

Well it turned out that BIFFA had made a mistake with the weight of the bin it picked up from the last known sighting of Corrie Mckeague, it was actually 14kg heavier than recorded. (the same weight as the Airman)

It is now thought the Airman climbed into a recycling bin at Greggs to sleep and was tossed into the back of a bin lorry and crushed to death by the compactor, as the driver drove on oblivious. 

(highly probable he was awakened by being tossed into the compactor and knew his fate) 

Suffolk Police traced his phone and it followed the route of the bin lorry

suffolk police reviewed cctv and saw the last sighting of the airman was a cul de sac behind a Greggs shop he didn't re-emerge. 

Suffolk police knew a bin lorry had collected large bins from the same spot the following morning. 

Suffolk police let the investigation drag on for 6 months

Suffolk police are now searching the landfill site. 

Suffolk police need to go back to training college.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4290764/Man-held-Corrie-McKeague-hunt-faces-no-action.html

15 minutes ago, workingpoor said:

Well it turned out that BIFFA had made a mistake with the weight of the bin it picked up from the last known sighting of Corrie Mckeague, it was actually 14kg heavier than recorded. (the same weight as the Airman)

It is now thought the Airman climbed into a recycling bin at Greggs to sleep and was tossed into the back of a bin lorry and crushed to death by the compactor, as the driver drove on oblivious. 

(highly probable he was awakened by being tossed into the compactor and knew his fate) 

Suffolk Police traced his phone and it followed the route of the bin lorry

suffolk police reviewed cctv and saw the last sighting of the airman was a cul de sac behind a Greggs shop he didn't re-emerge. 

Suffolk police knew a bin lorry had collected large bins from the same spot the following morning. 

Suffolk police let the investigation drag on for 6 months

Suffolk police are now searching the landfill site. 

Suffolk police need to go back to training college.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4290764/Man-held-Corrie-McKeague-hunt-faces-no-action.html

Why climb in a fcking bin to sleep? People seem to do it all the time, and get crushed.

4 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Why climb in a fcking bin to sleep? People seem to do it all the time, and get crushed.

It was a recycling bin so I would guess largely cardboard. If he was that pissed he could not face getting home, it would look like a relatively comfortable and warm spot for a kip.

There have been several studies of such police incompetence recently but they are going hand in hand with cuts in police numbers and several resigning officers going to the press with tales of understaffing and ridiculous caseloads.

So I don't think that it's the police being stupid, rather that the reality these days is a whole world away from the Inspector Morse image of gnawing away at the minutiae of a case over several weeks and many extended pub lunches.  They do not have the time to sit back and think about a case; just motor on and tick up the easy convictions to meet targets.

I know someone who joined the police in his late thirties, was really keen and it was a radical career change. Very capable, personable, hard working chap. He left after a year.

9 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

There have been several studies of such police incompetence recently but they are going hand in hand with cuts in police numbers and several resigning officers going to the press with tales of understaffing and ridiculous caseloads.

So I don't think that it's the police being stupid, rather that the reality these days is a whole world away from the Inspector Morse image of gnawing away at the minutiae of a case over several weeks and many extended pub lunches.  They do not have the time to sit back and think about a case; just motor on and tick up the easy convictions to meet targets.

I know someone who joined the police in his late thirties, was really keen and it was a radical career change. Very capable, personable, hard working chap. He left after a year.

I was talking to a retired superintendent who still does a lot of training for the police.  He was saying that all police forces have had a 30 percent cut in resources. It is bound to have an impact.  

There are also different pressures on the police.  I mentioned on another thread the armed police I saw wandering around a shopping centre.  That's two bodies not doing any actual policing.  How much is this replicated?  That might up to an awful lot of police not actually out investigating and catching criminals. 

54 minutes ago, One-percent said:

It was a recycling bin so I would guess largely cardboard. If he was that pissed he could not face getting home, it would look like a relatively comfortable and warm spot for a kip.

It was a 3hr walk back to barracks.

Apparently the "done thing" if you are going to sleep in one of these big bins is to pull it over onto it's side so it cannot be picked up by the forks on the collection truck 

(just in case anyone finds themselves in this position) 

59 minutes ago, workingpoor said:

It was a 3hr walk back to barracks.

Apparently the "done thing" if you are going to sleep in one of these big bins is to pull it over onto it's side so it cannot be picked up by the forks on the collection truck 

(just in case anyone finds themselves in this position) 

Well, maybe if you're the incredible hulk, apart the the wheeled ones, they weigh over a ton empty.

2 hours ago, spyguy said:

That's what so gobsmacking about the police ignoring all the evidence based on what the lorry's onboard weigher said the rubbish weighed - and onboard weighers have questionable accuracy at much higher weights. It's well known that people get in them drunk a lot have signs on and collection drivers I think are supposed to check in bins before tipping them if the lid is shut but would guess, in fairness, it's a lot of extra hassle that defeats the object of having a self-loading collection vehicle.

I was wondering about whether someone would suffocate whilst sleeping in such a bin - or get such a build up of carbon dioxide would make you sluggish?

I found it interesting that the bin lorry apparently keeps a computer record of the weight of each bin lifted.

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

The tale of anti-Inspector Morse style incompetence is lengthy the person at Biffa who gave them the wrong bin weight, due to incompetence, is a special constable. They then arrested him for obstructing the course of justice, presumably there was some thinking there was some foul play involved presumably with some fantasy idea he was a serial killer who'd dumped the body in a skip at the company where he worked then tried to cover it up or was doing so for someone else. 

As soon as it became apparent his phone signal followed the bin lorry route they should have been up the landfill with a shovel within the hour. If it had been a new Maddie lead they'd have had the flights booked to Portugal within half an hour.

3 minutes ago, SNACR said:

The tale of anti-Inspector Morse style incompetence is lengthy the person at Biffa who gave them the wrong bin weight, due to incompetence, is a special constable. They then arrested him for obstructing the course of justice, presumably there was some thinking there was some foul play involved presumably with some fantasy idea he was a serial killer who'd dumped the body in a skip at the company where he worked then tried to cover it up or was doing so for someone else. 

As soon as it became apparent his phone signal followed the bin lorry route they should have been up the landfill with a shovel within the hour. If it had been a new Maddie lead they'd have had the flights booked to Portugal within half an hour.

That sounds about right. Reminds me of an episode of NCIS where the main murder suspect for much of one episode just turned out to be an incompetent but innocent idiot.

1 minute ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I was wondering about whether someone would suffocate whilst sleeping in such a bin - or get such a build up of carbon dioxide would make you sluggish?

I found it interesting that the bin lorry apparently keeps a computer record of the weight of each bin lifted.

It's a very rough estimate so they can increase what they charge per emptying if you're putting an above average weight in but it usually is too inaccurate to bill with. Some of them weigh the bin as it lifts and some weigh the whole truck so they record truck weight after each collection. The main objective is to get the total truck weight to know when it is fully loaded.

9 minutes ago, SNACR said:

It's a very rough estimate so they can increase what they charge per emptying if you're putting an above average weight in but it usually is too inaccurate to bill with. Some of them weigh the bin as it lifts and some weigh the whole truck so they record truck weight after each collection. The main objective is to get the total truck weight to know when it is fully loaded.

Thanks. Interesting.

On a slightly different note.

A body was found on Swansea sea-front this morning. Last week the local paper put an appeal out for a chap who had gone missing stating that the Police were concerned for his well-being. It was a lad who lived in the same road as me and who was a class mate. I fear that it is him who has been found on the beach this morning.

I cycled past the river yesterday and noticed two fire engines with the crew in their river search gear. I thought the worst.

Whoever it is - very sad.

45 minutes ago, SNACR said:

As soon as it became apparent his phone signal followed the bin lorry route they should have been up the landfill with a shovel within the hour. If it had been a new Maddie somewhere warm + sunny lead they'd have had the flights booked to Portugal within half an hour.

Most specials are very unspecial.

I suppose the cardboard would have absorbed most of the blood & bodily fluids? they will probably find the body inside a big block of compacted cardboard, somewhere under 6 months worth of landfill.

The search of the landfill site will take six to 10 weeks, covering around 920 square metres up to a depth of eight metres, police said.

It follows work to move 8,000 tonnes of bulk material to make the area safe to search.

Ms Elliott said: "The search of the landfill is a huge undertaking, and still may not provide the answer as to what happened, but now, with new information uncovered by the officers working on the case, this is the priority."