House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

spyguy

Fostering

Another FB post from a loon who, after burning through a number of jobs and amarriage, has now announced she wants to 'provide a stable loving home to kids'

Now, considerimpng she shagged her way thru her marriage, I doubt the stable bit. I think its more the 300 / week for staying home shes got her eyes on.

Any experience?

9 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Another FB post from a loon who, after burning through a number of jobs and amarriage, has now announced she wants to 'provide a stable loving home to kids'

Now, considerimpng she shagged her way thru her marriage, I doubt the stable bit. I think its more the 300 / week for staying home shes got her eyes on.

Any experience?

Yeah, dysfunctional family near me in tord spot.  Sister visiting with foster kids.  Feral and kicked out onto street to play. Damaged new car by riding a scooter into it. Would not pay up for damage even though I was reasonable and took it to the local body shop, so not talking a lot of money. 

Clear that she was just in it for the money. Think most are. What's not to like at 300 per week per kid.

yes, I know someone doing it for the money, but having said that, they are putting 100% of their time into the child's  home-life and the child is having a fantastic upbringing while they are being fostered.

A longstanding friend of mine with an 11 year old son (ivf baby, thus an only child), in a stable marriage over 20 years.  She is a self employed hairdresser, works at home, he works as an engineer and has a part-time tree surgeon business.  Lovely couple, bringing their son up well. They own a substantial property with about an acre of woodland. Didn't get through the vetting process here on the Isle of Wight. No reason given. WTF?

28 minutes ago, Bossybabe said:

A longstanding friend of mine with an 11 year old son (ivf baby, thus an only child), in a stable marriage over 20 years.  She is a self employed hairdresser, works at home, he works as an engineer and has a part-time tree surgeon business.  Lovely couple, bringing their son up well. They own a substantial property with about an acre of woodland. Didn't get through the vetting process here on the Isle of Wight. No reason given. WTF?

I do know of a few outstanding fosterers. A few farmers of the religious bent.

For them it makes sense. They have large house and lots of soace fir either party to get some peace an blow off steam.

The person ive mentioned lives in a small house with new bf and 2 kids.

2 hours ago, spyguy said:

Any experience?

If I'm being cynical i would say the smart money is seeing the writing on the wall for Tax Credits/housing benefit and this is the next money from the state gravy train

I guess once you're seen as a safe pair of foster hands, you'll keep being given a kid at £300 a week - i heard the rates are even better if you take a really damaged/handful/challenging ward

6 hours ago, Bossybabe said:

Likely they said something deemed non-PC by whichever SJW social worker interviewed them. There was that high profile case of the couple taken off the foster parent list in Rotherham for voting UKIP (the same Rotherham where social workers were too busy to notice 100+ under age girls being abused I should add) but there's many, many more like that the fly under the radar. Me and Mrs. BlueCat went through the vetting process for adoption a number of years back but pulled out half way through when they started asking us all sorts of questions about our political beliefs (that was a real WTF moment for me). It was clear that the spotty teenager who was vetting us didn't like us from the moment I told her that I worked in the city and was going to find any reason she could to reject us.

8 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

Likely they said something deemed non-PC by whichever SJW social worker interviewed them. There was that high profile case of the couple taken off the foster parent list in Rotherham for voting UKIP (the same Rotherham where social workers were too busy to notice 100+ under age girls being abused I should add) but there's many, many more like that the fly under the radar. Me and Mrs. BlueCat went through the vetting process for adoption a number of years back but pulled out half way through when they started asking us all sorts of questions about our political beliefs (that was a real WTF moment for me). It was clear that the spotty teenager who was vetting us didn't like us from the moment I told her that I worked in the city and was going to find any reason she could to reject us.

It's such a shame when the right-on social workers in charge of the process put off the best prospects as adopters and fosterers. But any past chav with the right patter can get chosen. Poor kids. 

30 minutes ago, Bossybabe said:

It's such a shame when the right-on social workers in charge of the process put off the best prospects as adopters and fosterers. But any past chav with the right patter can get chosen. Poor kids. 

Not a chance in hell I'd ever pass the test.

"would you lamp the little git if he ice bucketed you when you were sunbathing?"

"yes"

"thanks for your time"

10 hours ago, knock out johnny said:

If I'm being cynical i would say the smart money is seeing the writing on the wall for Tax Credits/housing benefit and this is the next money from the state gravy train

I guess once you're seen as a safe pair of foster hands, you'll keep being given a kid at £300 a week - i heard the rates are even better if you take a really damaged/handful/challenging ward

Probably. Woman in mind is useless. She requied ex to skivvy 15h a day so she could sub her pointless businesses. She ran off we someone equally useless. Kids are 10 + 12. Theres a possibilty they may be living with their Dad soon, for reasons thatll see her rejected fof fostering.

Saw advertising campaign for Birmingham City council recently, the main angle if the campaign was to highlight how much money you would get.

Having said that, I would want a lot more than £300 a week to look after a seriously messed up kid (but that probably because if I was going into it I would want to do it properly)

I don't know the figure that it costs to keep a child in a care home but I would have thought £300 a week / £15k a year was a fraction of it.

Even if people's primary motivation is the money then as long as they treat the child reasonably I would have thought it was infinitely preferable for a child to be within a family than within a care home.

The only thing that annoys me is when people are turned down for fostering because they don't tick the SJW social worker's boxes, that's denying a child a good home and akin to child cruelty on the part of the social worker IMHO.

39 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I don't know the figure that it costs to keep a child in a care home but I would have thought £300 a week / £15k a year was a fraction of it.

Even if people's primary motivation is the money then as long as they treat the child reasonably I would have thought it was infinitely preferable for a child to be within a family than within a care home.

The only thing that annoys me is when people are turned down for fostering because they don't tick the SJW social worker's boxes, that's denying a child a good home and akin to child cruelty on the part of the social worker IMHO.

Thing is it would be better allowing the older kids (14+) to have their own flat and some hime care support rather than handing them over to some Rosemary West like foster carer.

A neighbour of mine is a long retired social worker but she told me that she worked for a female boss who took delight in turning down families for adoption who had been long-term fostering a particular child. Some really cruel feckers out there.

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

In Dumfries & Galloway region the figure was £12000 per week per child about 10 years ago. That was a private care provider. But hey the management all needed their top of the range company cars and big salaries so it all adds up! Heads on beds was the mantra....and hang on to the kid as long as possible to keep the payments rolling in. The care workers were on about £7 per hour and I don't think that's changed much.

8 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

In Dumfries & Galloway region the figure was £12000 per week per child about 10 years ago. That was a private care provider. But hey the management all needed their top of the range company cars and big salaries so it all adds up! Heads on beds was the mantra....and hang on to the kid as long as possible to keep the payments rolling in. The care workers were on about £7 per hour and I don't think that's changed much.

Oh, way less than I thought. I was assuming that it was comparable to prison which is about £40k.  Still better off in a normal home IMO.

18 hours ago, spyguy said:

Any experience?

Let me guess been living off tax credits for the last near two decades & oldest is approaching the threshold where they will no longer be recevied which means end of coatail-riding but highly lucrative housing benefit as well. Too old, too clapped out to have more kids to continue on the Gravy Train so this is the next option?

Maybe I should give an unwanted child a home, or maybe not?

5 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Maybe I should give an unwanted child a home, or maybe not?

If you feel that you can Mr Pin then it is a genuine good deed and I for one would admire you for it; particularly as I would not be prepared to do that myself.

42 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

If you feel that you can Mr Pin then it is a genuine good deed and I for one would admire you for it; particularly as I would not be prepared to do that myself.

Didn't you have a dad, Mr Hovis?:o

2 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Didn't you have a dad, Mr Hovis?:o

I think you may have misunderstood Mr Pin, I'm not looking to be fostered myself.

4 hours ago, spyguy said:

Thing is it would be better allowing the older kids (14+) to have their own flat and some hime care support rather than handing them over to some Rosemary West like foster carer.

I think the saddest thing is how care ends so much sooner than parental care does. 

1 minute ago, SarahBell said:

I think the saddest thing is how care ends so much sooner than parental care does. 

They do get some continuing care 16-21, help with accommodation and various things. The council is in loco parentis.

This was most memorably exploited by a muslim asylum seeker getting flying lessons paid for by Newcastle Council.

It is however reassuring to know that they're not just turfed out if the door at 16; though I know that that does happen to some with parents too.

9 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

They do get some continuing care 16-21, help with accommodation and various things. The council is in loco parentis.

This was most memorably exploited by a muslim asylum seeker getting flying lessons paid for by Newcastle Council.

It is however reassuring to know that they're not just turfed out if the door at 16; though I know that that does happen to some with parents too.

The kid I'd met was being turfed out of the home into a bedsit into a building nearby. But basically it seemed that age 16 means piss off. Maybe I misunderstood. Can it be that some authorities manage things better than others, or are there fixed national guide lines on what happens?

16 is horribly young to be fending for yourself.