House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

humdrum

Reassessment tests for sickness benefit claimants

Think this is a good move if they then concentrate resources on monitoring people who are likely to be swinging the lead, all these people with fibromyalgia who for some reason (can't think why) refuse surgery or people with bad backs.

Yes I know what it`s like waiting for an assessment . Fortunately I guess I was assessed by someone who gave me benefits `for life`. It`s that random I believe .

Put me down for CI next.

There's really no point reassessing people with Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson's Disease or Huntington's Disease or autism.  Even with the best current treatment they're not going to get significantly more fit for work.

Good, some common sense being applied. Why waste time and money re-testing people who aren't going to recover much? This might mean the odd cheater (remember when Ernest Saunders magically recovered from Alzheimer's disease?) but the cost benefit of retesting everyone to catch them doesn't stack up.

6 hours ago, gibbon said:

Think this is a good move if they then concentrate resources on monitoring people who are likely to be swinging the lead, all these people with fibromyalgia who for some reason (can't think why) refuse surgery or people with bad backs.

Have you got the right disease, Fibromyalgia refuse surgery? There isn't a surgical procedure for Fibromyalgia on the NHS. 

38 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

Good, some common sense being applied. Why waste time and money re-testing people who aren't going to recover much? This might mean the odd cheater (remember when Ernest Saunders magically recovered from Alzheimer's disease?) but the cost benefit of retesting everyone to catch them doesn't stack up.

Mr Saunders was a member of the right clubs. Same as that nice Mr Janner...... ^_^

The number of people on sickness benefits has been skyrocketing. Why so ?

It`s all going `Decline and fall` innit with a half a million coming in and millions on the sofa.

At least May`s government seems to have some idea ?

2 hours ago, council dweller said:

It`s all going `Decline and fall` innit with a half a million coming in and millions on the sofa.

Along with the number of 'disability' cars.  It is a difficult one, there are obviously  many many deserving cases but there are also many examples of folk taking the proverbial. 

The problem seems to be is that those who are at-it are far more up on their entitlements and how to get them than those poor sods who really need help.

f

31 minutes ago, lulu said:

Along with the number of 'disability' cars.  It is a difficult one, there are obviously  many many deserving cases but there are also many examples of folk taking the proverbial. 

The problem seems to be is that those who are at-it are far more up on their entitlements and how to get them than those poor sods who really need help.

f

How much is the spend per month equivalent for a motability car? And how many miles in a taxi can you do for the same amount?

14 hours ago, council dweller said:

Because it pays better than the dole and is  more respectable.

They need recognised chronuc ailments. Fibybollox is not one.

People claiming minir depression - the post industrial badback- should be found a job.

Anyone caught fiddlind should have theirstate pension delayed until the benefits pl ys interest is paid.

15 hours ago, Flopsy said:

Have you got the right disease, Fibromyalgia refuse surgery? There isn't a surgical procedure for Fibromyalgia on the NHS. 

Sorry you're right I was thinking "bad backs"

7 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Because it pays better than the dole and is  more respectable.

They need recognised chronuc ailments. Fibybollox is not one.

People claiming minir depression - the post industrial badback- should be found a job.

Anyone caught fiddlind should have theirstate pension delayed until the benefits pl ys interest is paid.

Friend of mine smokes a bit pot and got diagnosed with depression and drug addict. She gets £30k a year in cash and benefits (I know as I sat down with her and went through the figures, I didn't even take into account what the market rent rate would be on her very nice social flat). She's even allowed to work 15 hours a week. She gets paid to care for her mate!! There's no checks or anything, she just goes round now and then and has a natter and a brew. She was also looking to see if she could get a disability motor. She goes on a mini break every month as she likes to "treat herself" for how hard she has it she tells me.

It's a f****** joke. 

I'm all for giving disabled people help. I think "disabled" means something different to some people, like having unmanageable hair! Or unfashionable glasses>

There are people that do not have skills or experience an employer would pay for, they may be a touch disabled in body but also in mind....a two way disadvantage, something they can't do much about, therefore neither can anyone else.;)

7 hours ago, gibbon said:

Friend of mine smokes a bit pot and got diagnosed with depression and drug addict. She gets £30k a year in cash and benefits (I know as I sat down with her and went through the figures, I didn't even take into account what the market rent rate would be on her very nice social flat). She's even allowed to work 15 hours a week. She gets paid to care for her mate!! There's no checks or anything, she just goes round now and then and has a natter and a brew. She was also looking to see if she could get a disability motor. She goes on a mini break every month as she likes to "treat herself" for how hard she has it she tells me.

It's a f****** joke. 

From memory ESA has 2 groups already, those deemed who might return to work & those deemed too sick so aren't assessed. What's the difference between this 2nd already existing group & the announcement??

Also druggies & alcoholics are in the 2nd group already. What happens about them in this new world?

1 hour ago, pl1 said:

From memory ESA has 2 groups already, those deemed who might return to work & those deemed too sick so aren't assessed. What's the difference between this 2nd already existing group & the announcement??

Also druggies & alcoholics are in the 2nd group already. What happens about them in this new world?

Druugies and boozer arnt disabled. They loose money.

Nuts really. Dont give money to junkies.

So who will decide what diseases can or can not be cured?

And should people be encouraged to continue any medical treatment in order to keep getting money?

I know someone who should do physio at home every day to improve her arm issues, she doesn't, cos getting better means she doesn't get to keep her car and she'd have to get a job.

21 minutes ago, SarahBell said:

So who will decide what diseases can or can not be cured?

And should people be encouraged to continue any medical treatment in order to keep getting money?

I know someone who should do physio at home every day to improve her arm issues, she doesn't, cos getting better means she doesn't get to keep her car and she'd have to get a job.

I can top that.

Lazy idiot woman.

Told to loose weight or risk catching diabetes.

Got diabetes.

Told to take care or risk losing leg.

Didnt take care. Lost leg.

10 minutes ago, spyguy said:

I can top that.

Lazy idiot woman.

Got diabetes.

I know a bloke who got that and had a leg chopped off. Circulation issues but he didn't even do the physio they gave him after the op. The NHS gave up on him in the end. but his false leg he never walks anywhere on still costs taxpayers about £10 grand a time.

Because the fat git gets no exercise he gets ever fatter and has to have the socket (for his stump resized at regular intervals) that costs as well.

15 minutes ago, spyguy said:

I can top that.

Lazy idiot woman.

Got diabetes.

Apologies for being a pedant but this really gets me. Lose. Not loose, as in loose change :)

9 hours ago, One-percent said:

Apologies for being a pedant but this really gets me. Lose. Not loose, as in loose change :)

End of long day typo!

Eastsidez boyz play it lose and ezee.

14 hours ago, spyguy said:

I can top that.

Lazy idiot woman.

Got diabetes.

The incentive to get disabled is there, weight loss is almost guaranteed to cure type two diabetes if you really go for it, but then you would lose your livelihood as a benefit lifer.

Got a friend who has similarly been on  ESA (or incapacity before that)  ever since i have known her over twenty years, she is now 62. always been about the 18 stone mark i suspect and alw2ays had weight related disability. I reckon 80% of disability has some weight related element. Got to say that as you get older you realise how little food you need to sustain your weight. Oddly enough i don't think larger peopkle ever factor that in...portions have to be pretty small once you pass 50.

35 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

The incentive to get disabled is there, weight loss is almost guaranteed to cure type two diabetes if you really go for it, but then you would lose your livelihood as a benefit lifer.

Got a friend who has similarly been on  ESA (or incapacity before that)  ever since i have known her over twenty years, she is now 62. always been about the 18 stone mark i suspect and alw2ays had weight related disability. I reckon 80% of disability has some weight related element. Got to say that as you get older you realise how little food you need to sustain your weight. Oddly enough i don't think larger peopkle ever factor that in...portions have to be pretty small once you pass 50.

You don't actually cure type two diabetes; the damage is progressive but what you can do is give yourself many years of effectively not having it.  It will eventually come back.

This from last year was a sobering story about ignoring diabetes and losing sight as a consequence; she had type one (same thing but different cause, type one just happens) from an early age:

At some point during my teens I discovered I could skip an injection without anything terrible happening. I stopped monitoring my blood glucose levels almost entirely and when I was old enough to make my own decisions, I stopped going to the doctor for annual check-ups.

Throughout my student days I had a riot. I smoked, danced, partied, and kept on ignoring the fact I was diabetic.

By the time the century was drawing to a close, I was working in the tech industry as a web developer. This was the era of the dotcom boom and everyone was having fun. There were pool tables in the office, Nerf guns on every desk and many insane parties. Paul Oakenfold was the soundtrack to our lives, and we'd fall out of clubs at 6am and drive to Glastonbury Tor to watch the sunrise just for the hell of it.

One morning in October 1999 I woke up with a hangover. As I looked in the mirror I realised I could see a ribbon of blood in my line of sight. As I looked left then right, the ribbon moved sluggishly as though floating in dense liquid. Assuming it was a temporary result of the previous night's antics, I left it a couple of days before visiting an optician to get it checked. When I did the optician took one look at the backs of my eyes and referred me to the nearest eye hospital for further investigation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/disability-34847776