House Price Crash Forum

Attitudes to potentially offensive language and gestures on TV and radio

SpectrumFX

HOLA441

This report is marvelously entertaining to read. Reading through the tables out loud is almost poetic

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/market-data-research/other/tv-research/offensive-language-2016/

I disagree with their conclusion that balls is more offensive than ****, but it's good to see that the holy trinity of the 3 most offensive terms remains unchanged from my youth :)

Edit to add: the swear filter seems to agree with me :) the redacted word is parse with a silent p

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Sci fi has been using substitute swear words for a while: frell in Stargate, and frak in BSG were used unambiguously in place of f*ck. I thought the inbetweeners made up "clunge" as a mixture on c**t and m*nge so they could use that level of profanity without any censoring interfering with marketing to teens. But that is now in the censor list, so I'm wondering if clunge has always been a pejorative term for a woman('s parts), or if it has just passed into common enough usage now.

HOLA446
2 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Sci fi has been using substitute swear words for a while: frell in Stargate, and frak in BSG were used unambiguously in place of f*ck. I thought the inbetweeners made up "clunge" as a mixture on c**t and m*nge so they could use that level of profanity without any censoring interfering with marketing to teens. But that is now in the censor list, so I'm wondering if clunge has always been a pejorative term for a woman('s parts), or if it has just passed into common enough usage now.

Buggucked if I know.

HOLA447
20 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

"Clunge" was being used regularly on TV in 1979 by the character McBlane - a totally incomprehensible Scot - in the third series of "The Fall And Rise Of Reginald Perrin".

Most of the characters in Reggie Perrin had a catch-phrase - with McBlane's being "Up ya clunge"...!!!

I'm guessing that it is a Jock word, and as such got past the censors at the London-centric BBC.

XYY

HOLA448
HOLA449
21 hours ago, Hail the Tripod said:

indeed.smeg-head

HOLA4410
23 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

Whoever put that report together clearly used Viz! Comic's "Roger's Profanisaurus" as a reference...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger's_Profanisaurus

XYY

I have the first edition in hardback! It is one of my prized possessions!

HOLA4411
48 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I have the first edition in hardback! It is one of my prized possessions!

I did have the original vol 1 and vol 3 that came free with the comic, but lost them many moons ago.

I have the first one that was sold as a book - but it's the paper-back edition. It sits proudly on top of the cistern here at chez XYY so I have suitable reading material while I'm curling one round the pipe..!

The funniest ones are when they give an example of the usage of the word - always preceded by the words "As in"...! 

I never tire of reading the Profanisaurus - it still has me giggling like a naughty schoolboy every time I open it...

:)

XYY

HOLA4412
22 hours ago, Captain Cavey said:

I hope there's video somewhere of a earnest focus group solemnly debating the offensiveness of beef curtains 

there probably is!!!!, and it's costing us taxpayers a fortune.

besides, they missed out marmite miner,pillow biter and sausage jockey from the LGBT list.

they're behind the times.

....but flaps is apparently ok for lady-bits.

I think eastenders probably has a get-out clause because they ought to be able to do it in cockney after all.

"Ian beale was being a cupid so I gave him a kick in the jacob's."

HOLA4413
2 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

I did have the original vol 1 and vol 3 that came free with the comic, but lost them many moons ago.

I have the first one that was sold as a book - but it's the paper-back edition. It sits proudly on top of the cistern here at chez XYY so I have suitable reading material while I'm curling one round the pipe..!

The funniest ones are when they give an example of the usage of the word - always preceded by the words "As in"...! 

I never tire of reading the Profanisaurus - it still has me giggling like a naughty schoolboy every time I open it...

:)

XYY

It's a lot funnier than Bibles or other religious books! And has more sense in it!

HOLA4414

Archived