House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
apom

So, An Economist Says That All Is Not Well

http://www.economicsuk.com/blog/000283.html#more

but who knows...

One thing I would say is

Why should those in massive debt be bailed out with lower interest rates when it is crippling people who are not in debt.. Who have made provision for the pensions and who are now seeing that their schemes are failing.?

why should people living within their means and trying to save see that their savings cannot generate sufficent returns.?

Can we discuss this?

Lower interest rates kill pensions, kill savings..

and are throttling the country..

This has been argued before many times on here.. But what I want is opinion..

Higher Interest rates are only a good thing.

but who knows...

One thing I would say is

Why should those in massive debt be bailed out with lower interest rates when it is crippling people who are not in debt.. Who have made provision for the pensions and who are now seeing that their schemes are failing.?

why should people living within their means and trying to save see that their savings cannot generate sufficent returns.?

Can we discuss this?

I'm 29 and just started a stakeholder pension. A lot can happen in the next 35 years, or even the next five. I'd only be worried if I was retiring next week.

If not the "New Paradigm" it is true to say that the willingness of both Governments and individuals to take on increasing amounts of debt and that this is now accepted as "normal" is somewhat of a seachange.

For this to reverse is going to need some real shocks on a large scale. I'm sure this will happen but what exactly and when is the question.

At the moment all efforts within the "Establishment" are directed towards keeping the show on the road.

The problem with Economists of course is, which "belief system" do they follow and which one is speaking, the one you pay or the one I pay.

but who knows...

One thing I would say is

Can we discuss this?

Apom, the real quaestion is how well interest rates protect your money from the effects of inflation. High inflation is the enemy of savers, or others on fixed incomes - many people were impoverished in the 70's due to high inflation.

Low inflation, low IR is usually considered benign, high inflation, high IRs is destructive.