House Price Crash Forum

Hi, we have just secured outline planning permission for a home build on family farmland between Armagh and Dungannon. We are hoping to build approx. 2200-2400sq ft - L shaped house, with bedrooms in the roof space and floor to ceiling glass on the west and south facing sides of jut out of part of the 'L' - sliding doors on one side and large windows on the other.  We plan for 1 bathroom & 1 en-suite. We hope to be able to build to a very good standard insulation with a heat recovery system in place.

We will most likely need someone to project manage the build as we live some distance away. We would be interested to hear recommendations of home builders with provision for project management and what costs that we should expect. We would like to be able to budget for complete finish including windows, floors, kitchen, bathrooms, driveway, painting etc. We also like to hear recommendations for roofers, tilers, kitchens, driveways etc

I seen on a previous forum that someone was building a timber frame home. I made initial enquiries about timber frame but have been lead to believe that mortgage are almost impossible to secure for timber frame homes in NI. Does anyone know any better?

I should also say, the project will include a garage  and we will need to install a septic tank.

Any recommendations on professional services, mortgages, legal etc would be welcome too.

Hi All, Any updates or lessons learned since these posts were made?

We have just secured outline planning permission for a home build on family farmland between Armagh and Dungannon. We are hoping to build approx. 2200-2400sq ft - L shaped 4 bed house, with at least 3 of the bedrooms in the roof space and floor to ceiling glass on the west and south facing sides of jut out of part of the 'L' - sliding doors on one side and large windows on the other.  We plan for 1 bathroom & 1 en-suite. We hope to be able to build to a very good standard insulation with a heat recovery system in place. Plans to include a detached garage. Will also need a septic tank installed.

We will most likely need someone to project manage the build as we live some distance away. We would be interested to hear recommendations of home builders with provision for project management and what costs that we should expect. We would like to be able to budget for complete finish including windows, floors, kitchen, bathrooms, driveway, painting etc. We also like to hear recommendations for roofers, tilers, kitchens, driveways etc. We would also be interested to hear any tips on self build mortgages for the self employed and other professional services (e.g. legal etc).

I seen on a previous forum that someone was building a timber frame home. I made initial enquiries about timber frame but have been lead to believe that mortgage are almost impossible to secure for timber frame homes in NI. Does anyone know any better?

Havnt heard about the difficulties in relation to mortgages for timber frame.

If you are thinking about heating Timber Frame are fast to heat as you dont have a solid mass to heat. They are equally as good in insulation terms. However they do not store heat. 

By that I mean they will not catch and slowly release solar gain if that is what your design is based upon.

I am not a big fan of total heat recovery. I try to base my thinking on saving money rather than the environment. If your house is cheaper to run then you will find that it is also better for the environment. There are quick wins in heat recovery i.e extract fans but after that you can spend alot of energy on diminishing returns. if your house is dependent upon this you can have condensation issues when it breaks down and alot of these products come and go and in 10 years when you need a part you might find that it is obsolete. 

Hello,

I'm well into my own self build in Co. Antrim on our families farmland so thought I'd contribute!

My house is timber framed, 2 storey, about 2000 sq ft. with a garage. However, unlike most timber framed dwellings which have a block or brick wall on the outside, I have opted for a cement render board cladding hanging off the outside of the frame onto which a thin coat render is applied.

I'm doing a lot of the work myself and calling in trades when needed. Even so, I had no bother getting my self build mortgage with the Progressive, although I've had to pay for a separate 10 year building warranty and site insurance. The building warranty includes regular inspections much like those from the council building control. If you use a builder from start to finish, they would include these in their costs I'm guessing.

Have you involved an architect yet? Some of them will undertake the project management as well, a one stop shop.

I'm installing a heat recovery system. In my view, a lot of time and effort goes into making the house air tight only to be wasted if you need trickle vents above windows which let that precious heat out! On the other hand I'm first fixing the system myself otherwise the cost benefit might be harder to justify.

From my understanding there's not much to go wrong with these systems as long as the filters are changed regularly and you stick to a well known brand.

...just to add a little pressure, the effects of Brexit are starting to trickle down to the prices at the builders merchants so the sooner you start the better..