House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  

MIndless house price stating

Out for drinks last night, new team. Somebody was mourning the decline of the boat hire company which allowed you to take a boat up the canal for an evening with drinks on board etc etc.  I suggested we improvise by all taking an inflatable and floating up the canal in convoy.  Somebody said "I don't think the people in the £800k riverside houses would be very happy about that".

Errrr..

What the f**k has the price of houses got to do with it and does the high price of the house mean they shouldn't expect to see rif-raff on the river? Do they own the river? Makes me want to do it even more now, butt naked!

It's symptomatic of the total distortion in perception of worth that we're experiencing, both of people and of money. I find those "off guard" type comments the most fascinating, as they tend to be the throw away comments that reveal most about what people really think.

There is a lot of insanity out there just beneath the surface.

In this instance I can't see anything to blame the riverside owners for, but rather the timid ladder-status self-complying world-view of your colleague. 

In contrast to yourself hiace_drifter, with imaginative fun ideas to put out there (but obviously plan and be safe, if you really go onto water).

On 10/1/2016 at 2:16 AM, Venger said:

In this instance I can't see anything to blame the riverside owners for, but rather the timid ladder-status self-complying world-view of your colleague. 

In contrast to yourself hiace_drifter, with imaginative fun ideas to put out there (but obviously plan and be safe, if you really go onto water).

Oh no its not the property owners i blame ... its the people who mindlessly ascribe status to those people because of how much their house is worth.

On 30/09/2016 at 8:42 AM, hiace_drifter said:

Errrr..

What the f**k has the price of houses got to do with it and does the high price of the house mean they shouldn't expect to see rif-raff on the river? Do they own the river? Makes me want to do it even more now, butt naked!

Oh no its not the property owners i blame ... its the people who mindlessly ascribe status to those people because of how much their house is worth.

Same; but also when there are owners who do play off such thinking about themselves.

A few people having bit of fun (safe/prepared) bringing a boat down the river....

Some people wouldn't respect any big ego owner rights to the-river/lakes, if it came down to it.  Eg: in a falling out over a contract etc.  Nothing I would do myself of course, but just making the point I don't see a world of where can't risk upsetting anyone who owns expensive property, by passing their house.. going on public right of way near their house etc.

Edited by Venger

The fact people think like that in the UK is why they create such ridiculous bubbles so willingly every time the banks allow it. 80% of the country appears to be the sort of aspirational tosspot who believes the value of their house should determine what is permitted in its vicinity, and therefore desire that value to be as high as possible and automatically respect and envy those with more valuable houses.

My grandparents lived on a road of properties in the region of that value nowadays which fronted onto the grand union canal. My grandmother was probably the last original resident of the street before she passed away last year.

A few years ago, one of her neighbours called to ask her to join a campaign they had started protesting about a caravan another neighbour had parked on their drive thus 'lowering the tone' of the area (I'm honestly not making this up). My grandmother sent them away with a flea in their ear and wrote to the victimised caravan owner expressing her support, bless her!

My dream home would be somewhere away from other people. Nothing too grand. The Weasley house in the Harry Potter films would be perfect. I am quite sociable, but I'd just rather not have any neighbours in case they are ****s. I can't do the simmering resentment thing, I can only do friendly or outright hostile. One of our current neighbours no longer speaks to me after a fit of pettiness over a wheelie bin which saw ours "kidnapped" and notes pushed through the door - at which point I went and hammered on their door and asked them what sort of a pathetic mong behaves like that, which they appear to have taken rather to heart.

On 03/10/2016 at 1:46 AM, disenfranchised said:

My dream home would be somewhere away from other people. Nothing too grand. The Weasley house in the Harry Potter films would be perfect. I am quite sociable, but I'd just rather not have any neighbours in case they are ****s.

Ditto. Nice little house in a clearing in my own woodland, so we have wood for fuel.